Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    You are in for a great evening, that is a great mix of recordings that you have made. The whole story of the Spitfire is interesting, my interest started with an Airfix kit as a kid.

Jack Black likes this.
  2. donn

donn Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 14, 2002
    Black squirrels apparently appeared in England a few years ago supposedly due to interbreeding between greys and the fox squirrels, though there not everywhere.
    There was something I read about blacks being good for reds as they don't compete with the reds in the same way greys did, but as their essentially the same squirrel I'm not sure if that's true.
    Apparently the blacks were bought over like the greys in the early 20th century were but no one knows who was responsible.
    I don't think I've ever seen a fox squirrel though either.

scrteened porch likes this.
  3. donn

donn Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 14, 2002
    Aye thanks for that, I'm looking forward to watching them. I was lucky living in York for 15 years. The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight would often fly over York for various occasions, and the Spitfire was a regular.
    https://www.raf.mod.uk/display-teams/battle-of-britain-memorial-flight/

Jack Black likes this.
  4. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I hope so Ron, it's not really spicy, but it's very tasty :) You're right about that my friend, I'm glad Charlie was able to get some made in bone. Even though the jigging is not of the pattern he actually wanted, it is some of GEC's very best I think :) :thumbsup:

Thanks mate, I had a good DVD, but I've given it to my pal with the tool-stall. I've seen quite a few over the years :thumbsup:

LOL! :D I was adding some Tabasco to my chilli earlier, and marveling about how it is popular throughout the world, even has a Royal Warrant, and is a generic name for hot sauce. Compare that to Henderson's (nobody calls it Hendos in Sheffield), which 20 years ago, you couldn't even get a few miles outside Sheffield! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Cheers David, that does look good :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

That must have been a treat :cool: I always regret missing the 'Bouncing Bomb' fly-pasts out at Ladybower (near Sheffield), I was always busy with something else, or if was cancelled for some reason :( :thumbsup:

I mentioned my former brother-in-law's dad, Jack, who flew Spitfires and Hurricanes, and probably a lot of other stuff, the other day. Jack regularly carried the pistol he'd been issued, even though he wasn't supposed to, but eventually handed it in to the police in a firearms amnesty in about 1990 (such a shame). I never saw the gun, so I hadn't realised it was a Smith & Wesson automatic (no idea what model), which rather surprised me, when he told me. Jack explained that it had been issued to him in the USA, where he had done some of his flight training :thumbsup:

My big day tomorrow ;) I'll be off down to the market, and also meeting up with a pal for lunch :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

5. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    IMG_5171.jpeg

Crazy Canuck, donn, Peregrin and 14 others like this.
  6. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Fodderwing likes this.
  7. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    Great insert of the Lancasters, thanks for posting.

Jack Black likes this.
  8. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Good Wed afternoon, ya skallywags.
    I thought I’d dump some photos of my TEW Big LF since it’s in my pocket.
    Being a man of modest means, and inherited Scottish thrift, I have had a little luck finding a few high quality, above my pay grade, pocket knives by looking for flaws that make a lot of folks pass them over. As long as the blade(s) are mostly still there, I’m not afraid of trying to fix them.
    I found this on the auction site for, if I recall, about $15. It was a bargain because one of the gumfuddy scales was cracked through. Here are some shots of it when I got it- 5D12DFC0-6209-480B-860A-D981CDE5220B.jpeg B2238FB8-F24D-4256-9EFA-B462C5BE7331.jpeg 7586BFC7-F37C-46F7-A54A-182756FADF36.jpeg 775AAF61-BF3D-44FB-9AB7-100106592E3F.jpeg I had a knife sized piece of fiddleback black walnut from a well-known mill in Warsaw Missouri famous for gunstocks. This piece sat in a toolbox of mine for nearly 40 years until I remembered it.

No action shots of the surgery, but it came apart and went back together ok for a hack like me. Smoothed the spring and contact parts of the tang. Put in new pins, and prayed it fit correctly. Well, it still snaps with authority, and it’s nice and smooth both ways. The only regret I have is that I somehow ended up with a small gap between the walnut and bolsters. That’s harder than it looks, and is why the modders on here, who work on other people’s expensive knives get my highest respect.
    After- B8D2E0D9-1546-4408-ABFA-55BCCF7E5F06.jpeg 23EEB994-38B8-4969-82D2-AB9B23F75216.jpeg And here she is a couple of years later- CA11308B-825C-48D9-A8E2-17EDCC3A628B.jpeg I like this knife:D

9. Amir Fleschwund

Nov 29, 2008
    I guess they hid the meat under the cheeze?:D
    I learned that in Boy Scouts.
    But with sharp slipjoints, with healthy snap, you’d better keep your fingers out of the blade well. 9A09A26E-BC09-48D5-9CD2-140BF8963ACD.jpeg

10. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Very nice Jeff. It's aged well over the years and I wouldn't sweat the gap you speak of - It fits right in with it's age and gives it some character.

Amir Fleschwund likes this.
  11. Amir Fleschwund

Nov 29, 2008
    Modoc ED likes this.
  12. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    I think that edge is straighter than my first A. Wright Lambsfoot. :rolleyes: :D

Looks good, Jack! :thumbsup:

:D :D

But Wikipedia says it’s “widely known in Sheffield as ‘Hendo’s’,” and Wikipedia can’t be wrong… ;) :D

donn, Modoc ED, Prester John and 2 others like this.
  13. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    Mate, Mate you are being a bit hard on yourself.:);). Lucky we are all open minded here, i doubt if that is PC.:D. But that was good shopping with that fine Lambsfoot, and you did a great job with the remodeling, good work you should be proud of the end result.:thumbsup:.
    PS - Good choice of wood, i do love walnut.:cool::p:thumbsup:

Fodderwing and Modoc ED like this.
  14. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    :D:D:D, All of a sudden i'm a genius, i always thought i was.;)

Prester John and Jack Black like this.
  15. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Excellent post Jeff, I think you did a fantastic job, and ended up with a really special knife :cool: :) :thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

Thanks mate :thumbsup:

Yes, unfortunately any idiot can edit Wikipedia - I know that because I've done it! :rolleyes: Wikipedia used to have a whole paragraph devoted to the "Hendo's Controversy", saying something along the lines that the black gold was known in Sheffield as Henerson's, 'Enderson's, or simply 'Relish', and that the latterly invented term 'Hendo's was not heard in the city (outside the Students' Union refectory perhaps). It went on to say that this was a form of speech more commonly associated with North-West England rather than South Yorkshire (where if a name is abbreviated, it might have an 'i' or 'y' added, but not an 'o').

Far worse than the Wikipedia site though, is the fact that Henderson's own site, uses the word. Until the past few decades, marketing was entirely unknown to the company, and they didn't have a website until some local pop band set one up for them, adding the term 'Hendo's. Unfortunately, in recent years, some old streets, pubs, buildings, etc in the city have also been informally re-branded because of the lazy speech of interlopers, who it seems are unable to pronounce a word in full. Personally, I'd have them horse-whipped for their temerity! o_O No, as Wikipedia used to say, it's 'Henerson's, 'Enderson's, or Relish'. We never had these problems when nobody had heard of the stuff! ;) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians! After delving into that dark and murky controversy, 'I better get my skates on', as they say in Sheffield, I don't want to be late for the market! :eek: Have a good day everyone :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

16. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    They say the same thing about Yorkshiremen being shy with their wallets. A common expression in Yorkshire is 'He's not mean, he's careful' :D :thumbsup:

17. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    :D:D:D.

Jack Black likes this.
  18. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    Pests.:rolleyes:

Jack Black likes this.
  19. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Good morning Guardians! We’re getting some rain and cooler weather here in SE Tennessee today. It’s due to the outer edge of the hurricane as it passes to the SE of here. I’m planning on taking it easy and I’ll be carrying my Ironwood big 'un this morning! I hope y’all have a great day! :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

20. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    How far are you from the Hurricane.? Hope you staying safe and don't get the flooding rains. Thinking of everyone in either the Hurricane, Flood or Fire zones. Stay safe all.

Jack Black likes this.