Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

btb01

Gold Member
I must agree with your preference in scotch from Islay:thumbsup:. My fave is Lagavulin 16 yr but I have some Ardbeg that I really like too. My Laphroaig cask strength is also a fave of mine. All very manly drams...wimps need not apply.:D Your lamb foot SFO is very nice too.:)

That's my favourite whisky too Bill, but I love Ardbeg too, in fact all the Islay malts ;) :D other regular buys are Talisker from Skye and Highland Park from Orkney :) :thumbsup:

KDvkEZZ.jpg

You know what they say, great minds and all that. :D Lagavulin 16 is my favorite dram as well. I’m sure I have a Lagavulin 16/Lambsfoot photo around here somewhere, but for now this one’ll have to do.

3cGZgRj.jpg

A Lambsfoot blade doesn't have belly

Except when it does. :rolleyes:

VE1qZRe.jpg

Boiled Leon, it always makes me think of cricket bats, even though that's a sport I've never had any interest in! :D :thumbsup:

I know next to nothing about cricket, but I’ve wanted a cricket bat ever since I first saw Shaun of the Dead. ;) :D

Since much of it has been re-built in rather ugly fashion, I was surprised to come across this contemporary virtual tour of the Hartshead area of Sheffield.

The Barlow family lived and worked at premises next to the Old Banker's House, which was lost when the street (Campo Lane) was widened.

ilqHvoR.jpg

Despite the ugliness of the modern buildings, which is rather typical of Sheffield city centre I'm afraid, parts of the area still retain some of their old character. It's a shame the film-maker didn't take us into St Peter's Close, which passed between the Old Banker's House and the place where the world's first Barlow knives were made. Here's a look :thumbsup:

85cqR4i.jpg

vJDo029.jpg

3YI1qaS.jpg

27WnSUS.jpg

fxJg0ew.jpg

zMhSFjk.jpg

pIb8fvt.jpg

Xk4CBij.jpg

2e2RjmH.jpg

quMCD5C.jpg

gjauL4h.jpg

UauwE6k.jpg

xb9Q9dy.jpg

Great photos, Jack! :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a pleasant evening :) I went over to Sheffield, in one of my pal's vintage vehicles, to pick up a Romesse pot-bellied stove he'd bought (his is the one that looks like a Russian hand-grenade!). We went via Deepcar, where Stan Shaw's widow lives, and onto Stocksbridge, where she was secretary at the British Steel plant. The guy my pal bought the stove from showed us his 'shed', which was like a small museum, with half a dozen vintage motorcycles, dozens of old oil cans, and a load of other interesting stuff, even a few knives :) Only the second time I've been outside Leeds in over a year, so it made a nice change just to have a short road-trip :thumbsup:

That sounds like an good day! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jack Black

Gold Member
Thanks Jack. Things are good here. Boring, but boring is preferable to exciting sometimes ;)

Those are begleri beads. Greek fidget/skill toy to keep the hands occupied. Sure beats smoking (coming up on 6 years this Summer) :D

There was a video that got me interested in them a while back. I'm nowhere near as good as the people in it, but I thought it was kind of neat. I wonder how @JohnDF 's skills are progressing, now that he's had his set for a while now?

Yes, it is my friend :rolleyes: ;) I'm glad you're doing OK :) Very interesting, I had to look them up. I reckon I've seen them being used before, but thought they were prayer beads :thumbsup:

I stepped away from cigarettes 6 years ago also, but I started vaping.

Oh, great! Yet another thing to get hooked on! THANK you guys!

I remember picking up one of my youngsters from a gymnastics class, and a young woman offered me a stick of nicotine gum. After I declined, she told me that it was probably a good move, she'd stopped smoking 5 years before, but had been addicted to the gum ever since! :D :thumbsup:

Could not be outdone, this is my lunch, it is Saturday lunchtime, a Thai Chilli meat pie, keeping the samosa theme going.:p:p:p. You are correct about the Guardians thread being bumped off the front page, but we shall get back to what rightfully belongs to us - Page One - when all the fuss dies down.:D:D:D.
Hope everyone has a good and safe weekend, and looks like everyone's weather is on the improve.:).

l0DXxRA.jpg

That sounds very tasty Leon, looks it too, as does your Charlie Lamb :) Have a good one yourself mate :) :thumbsup:

You know what they say, great minds and all that. :D Lagavulin 16 is my favorite dram as well. I’m sure I have a Lagavulin 16/Lambsfoot photo around here somewhere, but for now this one’ll have to do.

3cGZgRj.jpg

A great pic to go with your great taste Barrett! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Except when it does. :rolleyes:

VE1qZRe.jpg

:eek: They made a bit of a pig's ear of that one didn't they?! :eek: I've had a couple of old worn ones with blades like that, but the stamps and nail-nicks had been properly struck o_O :thumbsup:

I know next to nothing about cricket, but I’ve wanted a cricket bat ever since I first saw Shaun of the Dead. ;) :D

Shaun of the Dead is a lot more fun than cricket! :D :thumbsup:

Great photos, Jack! :thumbsup:

That sounds like an good day! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks pal :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, if we have another sunny day here in Yorkshire, the BBC will be calling for a hose-pipe ban, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts! :D Have a great weekend everyone :thumbsup:

6C6PugF.jpg

Onebigbill

Gold Member
Yes, it is my friend :rolleyes: ;) I'm glad you're doing OK :) Very interesting, I had to look them up. I reckon I've seen them being used before, but thought they were prayer beads :thumbsup:

I remember picking up one of my youngsters from a gymnastics class, and a young woman offered me a stick of nicotine gum. After I declined, she told me that it was probably a good move, she'd stopped smoking 5 years before, but had been addicted to the gum ever since! :D :thumbsup:

That sounds very tasty Leon, looks it too, as does your Charlie Lamb :) Have a good one yourself mate :) :thumbsup:

A great pic to go with your great taste Barrett! :D ;) :thumbsup:

:eek: They made a bit of a pig's ear of that one didn't they?! :eek: I've had a couple of old worn ones with blades like that, but the stamps and nail-nicks had been properly struck o_O :thumbsup:

Shaun of the Dead is a lot more fun than cricket! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks pal :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, if we have another sunny day here in Yorkshire, the BBC will be calling for a hose-pipe ban, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts! :D Have a great weekend everyone :thumbsup:

6C6PugF.jpg
Jack, Very nice photo of your trusty stag HHB :thumbsup:. You said to me that I needed to dig out my Lambfoot knives - ahh yes, great idea except for the fact that my wife "organized" all our boxed up stuff:rolleyes:. Going to be a bit of a hunt for me to even find it:eek::mad:. I have to make do with using the 2020 BF knife in place of my HHB:(. Glad to hear that your weather is sunny; it has been sunny here too but I think we have rain in the forecast:(. Good news is that I won't have to turn on the irrigation system:thumbsup:. Recycled shot of my HHB along side one of my favorite drams:thumbsup:.
IMG_2880.JPG .

scrteened porch

Gold Member
Jack, Very nice photo of your trusty stag HHB :thumbsup:. You said to me that I needed to dig out my Lambfoot knives - ahh yes, great idea except for the fact that my wife "organized" all our boxed up stuff:rolleyes:. Going to be a bit of a hunt for me to even find it:eek::mad:. I have to make do with using the 2020 BF knife in place of my HHB:(. Glad to hear that your weather is sunny; it has been sunny here too but I think we have rain in the forecast:(. Good news is that I won't have to turn on the irrigation system:thumbsup:. Recycled shot of my HHB along side one of my favorite drams:thumbsup:.
View attachment 1543381 .
"Treacle ... Bonfires"?
Never mind, I'll google it.

I see. [tastes of] treacle bacon [and] bonfires.
Sounds good.

There were three sisters who lived in a treacle well...
8lTmXFS.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Black

Gold Member

Thanks Bill, just on the wall at the bottom of my garden :) Oh no! :eek: Bad news about the organizing Bill! :eek: I think I must have jinxed the weather here, I was just about to go out for a stroll, when it turned, rain and hail! o_O I'm hoping it blows over, as I need to go to the shops :rolleyes: Sorry to hear it's no better there :( Looks like a great dram to stay indoors with though ;) :thumbsup:

Edit - It's snowing here now! :eek: :confused:

There were three sisters who lived in a treacle well...
8lTmXFS.jpg

That's a line you don't read everyday! :D :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:

bigfish64

Gold Member
Lambfoot number 2! This thing is solid. I like the walnut, especially after putting a little oil on it, love the strong pull, back spring is flush opened and slightly sunken closed, few gaps no big deal. The grind on the blade is going to take some time to correct. As you move your finger and thumb the length of the blade you can feel a bulge at the front of the nail nick which is making it tricky to even out the edge grind. It’s pretty sharp now, but I don’t like the way the edge looks so I’m going to keep working on it, actually enjoying the process. The picture below is how it came, I’ll post a photo of it when I’m satisfied with the way the edge looks. Can’t wait to get the patina started, may have to slice some fruit this morning!
Todd
7DD26A8D-A8B5-4509-8AC6-78999E6DDB8D.jpeg

Jack Black

Gold Member

Stunning Dwight :cool: :C :thumbsup:

Thank you! It's stabilized dyed maple burl that I sent to our own resident "Wizard of knife modding" aka @glennbad who worked his magic on a A Wright "big'un".

Glenn did a fantastic job :) :thumbsup:

Lambfoot number 2! This thing is solid. I like the walnut, especially after putting a little oil on it, love the strong pull, back spring is flush opened and slightly sunken closed, few gaps no big deal. The grind on the blade is going to take some time to correct. As you move your finger and thumb the length of the blade you can feel a bulge at the front of the nail nick which is making it tricky to even out the edge grind. It’s pretty sharp now, but I don’t like the way the edge looks so I’m going to keep working on it, actually enjoying the process. The picture below is how it came, I’ll post a photo of it when I’m satisfied with the way the edge looks. Can’t wait to get the patina started, may have to slice some fruit this morning!
Todd
View attachment 1543425

That's a decent-looking knife Todd, shame about the ugly grind, it's similar to the blades on some knives I had about 18 months ago, which I think were sharpened by a guy who used to do various odd jobs at the factory. They shouldn't be letting him near the blades, nor should Wright's be sending knives out like that. Good luck in terms of tidying it up :thumbsup:

scrteened porch

Gold Member
Thanks Bill, just on the wall at the bottom of my garden :) Oh no! :eek: Bad news about the organizing Bill! :eek: I think I must have jinxed the weather here, I was just about to go out for a stroll, when it turned, rain and hail! o_O I'm hoping it blows over, as I need to go to the shops :rolleyes: Sorry to hear it's no better there :( Looks like a great dram to stay indoors with though ;) :thumbsup:

Edit - It's snowing here now! :eek: :confused:

That's a line you don't read everyday! :D :cool: :) :thumbsup:
I just googled it to be sure. It was a story by the dormouse, not the duchess, as I'd misremembered.
u1CXvC9.jpg

(Molasses- I don't have any treacle.)

Campbellclanman

Platinum Member

That Hartshead is looking superb in that photo! :thumbsup: