Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I think so Christian, they're still making the knives in the same old way, though the demand for iron bolsters is very limited among their usual customer base (they WILL come!). I'd say that at least a couple of the cutlers there would be skilled enough to produce clean and square joints. So far, they've produced everything I've asked for (and I've asked for some challenging stuff today), but we are just a tiny part of their customer base, most just want an inexpensive knife that'll take a good edge :thumbsup:

I'm delighted to hear that! When you commission a run of those old school knives -- hammered pins, jigged bone covers, iron bolsters, and clean and square joints -- don't forget to set one aside for me. I can wait, I know you'll get around to it eventually. ;)

Several hours past dark here, but I couldn't resist taking a few pics of my fancy Big 'Un - made by Ashley's dad :) Think I'm going to be eating beans on toast for Christmas dinner! ;) :thumbsup:

CATJUI7.jpg

i9TxJao.jpg

EIWgFZN.jpg
I think that might make my Knife of a Lifetime Award if I had that.
And I'd be eating beans on tortillas!

I'm delighted to hear that! When you commission a run of those old school knives -- hammered pins, jigged bone covers, iron bolsters, and clean and square joints -- don't forget to set one aside for me. I can wait, I know you'll get around to it eventually. ;)

sBWY4yb.jpg

Wow amazing knife jack! :eek:

I think that might make my Knife of a Lifetime Award if I had that.
And I'd be eating beans on tortillas!

Thanks guys :) Mmmm beans on tortillas! :) :thumbsup:

Several hours past dark here, but I couldn't resist taking a few pics of my fancy Big 'Un - made by Ashley's dad :) Think I'm going to be eating beans on toast for Christmas dinner! ;) :thumbsup:

CATJUI7.jpg

i9TxJao.jpg

EIWgFZN.jpg

Oh Lordy Jack, what a sweet beast that is, nice going on the acquisition. Nice job on Ashley's dad's part!

Russell

Oh Lordy Jack, what a sweet beast that is, nice going on the acquisition. Nice job on Ashley's dad's part!

Russell

Thank you very much Russell, hopefully it won't be too long before I can get some better pics :) :thumbsup:

Don't worry folks, I'm not training for the Olympics! :eek: :D These rings are something John Maleham gave me today. It really is only a few decades ago that, within Sheffield cutlery workshops, power was still transmitted through leather drive belts, they ran all over the place, as they had in the 19th century. These are buckles for linking the belts :thumbsup:

A5xa9jp.jpg

I had an interesting trip to Sheffield :) I took a large box of posh biscuits and a card for the fellers at Wright's, and a bottle of gluten-free beer for Michael, Ashley's dad and the Head Cutler, who is celiac. I had a very interesting chat with John Maleham about a couple of knives for next year, and he kindly gave me a pile of old documents I'll have to photograph later :) I always ask if he has anything interesting, and as a consequence, my wallet lost a lot of weight! :D A few of us were talking about rosewood recently, and how attractive it is. Wright's rosewood comes from Indonesia, but while searching around in the loft, John recently found some African rosewood, which is a little darker and glossier. He used it on some Lambsfoot knives, and I managed to get hold of the last few :) I also got another rather special Lambsfoot, which I'll have to photograph when the light is better :thumbsup:

d2gVMj5.jpg

78 years ago today, Hitler's Luftwaffe virtually destroyed Sheffield city centre...

image.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Blitz

Many Sheffielders would argue that the City Council's Planning Department have been continuing the work ever since! o_O

The old Herbert Slater works now has new tenants, but it's a shame they felt a need to put modern signs up on a historic building :(

WU0b5IV.jpg
Always with the cool history lessons. Thanks for those.

CATJUI7.jpg

i9TxJao.jpg

EIWgFZN.jpg
Absolutely stunning example Jack.

CATJUI7.jpg

i9TxJao.jpg

EIWgFZN.jpg
Jack my friend, that is stunning! Absolutely the best I’ve seen! Congratulations sir! You absolutely deserve to be the owner of that one of a kind masterpiece! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

78 years ago today, Hitler's Luftwaffe virtually destroyed Sheffield city centre...
Thanks for the info Jack. Interesting film.

CATJUI7.jpg

i9TxJao.jpg

EIWgFZN.jpg
Wow

Antique (certified) ivory
WowZZZa..... swoon

Would be a win/win for me. I love beans and I love toast (and Louisianna hot sauce)

Always with the cool history lessons. Thanks for those.

Absolutely stunning example Jack.

Thanks John, there's some interesting stuff in the documents John M gave me :) Not sure I'll get a chance to post anything about it tomorrow, but hopefully soon :) :thumbsup:

Jack my friend, that is stunning! Absolutely the best I’ve seen! Congratulations sir! You absolutely deserve to be the owner of that one of a kind masterpiece! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron, you are very kind my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info Jack. Interesting film.

Wow

WowZZZa..... swoon

Would be a win/win for me. I love beans and I love toast (and Louisianna hot sauce)

I'm glad you found it so Dwight, there are lots of other online films about it. When I was a kid, a lot of the city centre was still cleared bomb-sites with big gaps between the remaining buildings. Even Vulcan, the crippled god of metal-work, whose statue surmounts Sheffield Town Hall received a further injury from flying shrapnel :eek:

2115419_b2093b38.jpg

It took me a while to find a family-friendly image, as he's not overly dressed! :eek: :D

Glad you like the knife :) And beans on toast! ;) :thumbsup:

I never thought we would get this far, but I see this thread is steadfastly moving towards 500 pages, (happily coinciding with the festive season), and I have been thinking about celebrating the impending milestone with a giveaway for everyone who has helped us to get here :) I was looking for something a few days ago, and came across one of the 2018 Guardians Lambsfoot knives in ebony, so I thought it would make an appropriate prize :) So, here's how it works, if you want to enter, just make a post indicating you're in, and guess the date (Yorkshire time! ;) ) when we'll reach 500 pages. It's open to anyone who has made a post in this thread before today. If you get the date right, I'll put your name, together with the other posters who guessed the same date, and randomly select a winner. The prize is the ebony '18 below. If you are a Guardian who already has one of those knives, you can, if you wish, opt instead to have one of the 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot knives (which I'll obviously stump up for! :D). Apart from having previously posted in this thread, the only condition is that you agree to carry and use the knife, and post some pics. Good luck everyone, and thanks for keeping this thread going. Please post as normal, but as we approach 500 posts, I don't expect to see any active shenanigans! ;) :D :thumbsup:

Edit - Cut off point for entries will be at page 490 :thumbsup:

D7QgHvu.jpg

emNhdx9.jpg
Thanks, Jack! I would like to enter, as I haven't been able to acquire a lambsfoot yet.
My guess will be December 29th.:thumbsup:

I have just been totting up all the giveaway entries, so far the 19th and 21st are joint favourite, with the 17th, 18th, 24th, and 29th coming second, and the 15th, 20th, 22nd, 26th, and 27th favoured least ;) Still another 5 pages before entries close though :thumbsup:

I have another busy day tomorrow, starting off with my weekly trip to Leeds market, piano keys in pocket ;) :thumbsup:

Sw2QenZ.jpg

or0Spha.jpg

Back