GUNTING: it will continue in some form

Ads dont sell knives, when was the last time you saw an ad for a Buck 110 or an Endura.

Knives will not be "officially" accepted as weapons in American law enforcement due to politics, perception and the issue of fluid transfers. And to supposedly use a knife in a non-knife, non lethal way is asking for all kinds of policy issues.

send,
Can't say for sure if ads sell or don't BUT "if" they don't help in sales ,why do so many company's& knifemakers take out ads.If it wasn't for ads,there would be no knife mags etc. As for non leth. LEO I trained took down a BG going for his gun,LEO benches 350 so he ain't a small guy,guy fighting with him was as big as he is.G took him out of the fight.Nothing was ever said,BG didn't report anything neither did the LEOS.involved. So the G does work as an IMPACT TOOL in real time senarios! :D
Be safe,
Jim

Actually, I do remember seeing a couple of ads in the various American knife publications and for example Combat Handguns and Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement. And as I recall, there were as much Spyderco Gunting ads as other Spyderco model ads. Mind you, I think Spyderco ads in general -in knife magazines at least- are very sparse. From the knife-related media outlets I am exposed to, I think it is fair to say that the Gunting got just as much advertising as any other Spydie.

So at least from that perspective I don't think it's fair to accuse Spyderco of not "backing" the model, heck they made it for six years! Why wouldn't they want to sell it? If they don't seriously try to sell their stuff, how can they make room for other models which devlopment costs much more than to keep the 'regular' production running.

If you have specific stories about Spyderco deliberately not backing the "G", I am seriously interested.

Wouter

PS The Guntaholics sometimes do remind me of the Mad Dog fans of yesteryear!

Kukri4302 said:
Bob,
As for the G being pulled & used closed but still being viewed as a knife(a Drone or Crimp.is not a live blade)the live G is NOT a knife untill it is used open otherwise it's still IMPACT!

i have to disagree with ya, if ya pull the thing out of your pocket/sheath/etc ya have pulled a weapon, period end, i will bet $$ 99.99999% of district attorneys would agree, i know the theory that ya will use it as an impact weapon/etc/etc, BUT if ya re in a 'dispute' and pull the thing, you have just pulled a weapon, everyone seems to discount this, i hope no one has to stand up in court and explain the theory. imho it wont wash.

bear in mind i dont care who pulls what on anyone, but ya should know what ya are doing imho..........

and again, i like the 'g' and bram too, and think a well trained person can do lots of things with the 'g', BUT it is a weapon the second ya pull it out with the intent to use it as one imho, ya gotta keep that in mind.

greg

and as far as ads i have seen as many for the 'g' as any other spyderco in several mags (ie combat handguns, tac knives, etc), have also seen several for the 'g' or escalator from REKAT they name the maker as 'bran' lol

yes.thank you Spyderco..
You make me a fine product..a GREAT Product.
but as for time? I realize with so many models and exposure to them time flies models get confused.. I have only ONE to watch.
for the record..and the record stands in print..magazines etc..the Gunting didn't come out till the 2001 Shot Show in New Orleans..its officialy in the 2001 catalog..its first outing..
We were still working out some bugs there @ the Show with "crunchy locks" as I called them..Jeff, Vince Sal and myself..
We huddled up in the Spyderco booth's food closet..
Its where the USBP saw it and had me come out and Massad Ayoob wrote his story calling the Gunting a historic event in the world of knives..
Tomo & Ichi shot some great photos there..
We had a whole year of non production as it was reengineered..PJ did a great job on the new version..only been out a year the reengineered one , it was last year @ the last Shot Show..( I had to run between Spyderco booth and Ontario booth) where it was out..
I really like the re engineered ones..

But it doesn't matter..right?

Well I fondly say good bye to Spyderco and its forum here..
its been a pleasure Carlos..you've been a goood moderator,,

Sal & Spyderco..well I'll be seeing YOU soon,,
If you need me I'll be @ my place www.CSSDSC.com
or @ www.s2institute.com

be safe
Bram

Bye Bye Bram,

You should consider yourself lucky Spyderco made that knife for you for even one year. Your posts in this thread reek of passive aggressiveness that's all too common in today's society. Shame, shame, shame.

This thread could have been a good discussion w/ the creator of the gunting, but he's taking his snake oil elsewhere.

bob7

bob7 said:
Bye Bye Bram,

You should consider yourself lucky Spyderco made that knife for you for even one year. Your posts in this thread reek of passive aggressiveness that's all too common in today's society. Shame, shame, shame.

This thread could have been a good discussion w/ the creator of the gunting, but he's taking his snake oil elsewhere.

bob7

:rolleyes:

Bob,
Snake oil!! That's a cheap shot!! Why don't you,instead of mouthing off,take a seminar,then you may judge.However I don't think you will.Just curious,what's your background in MA??
Jim

Bram, please..., i see not reason, why you wrote "bye" :( , if its hence, that Gunting will be discontinued, next year, so i see not (from my point of view, sure- i hope im not wrong..) problem at that, and in addition : Mr.Glesser noticed here at forum, that he can make small run of Guntings for you, so i think, this is so great offer, that i dont know, why this thread continue :)

I hope you know, how many i respect you and how many i like you, i will miss you here !!! And i am sure, that others too ....
So, please stay here, NO "BYE". No bye, hm?

Sia

I have no facts and figures to back this up but I can only guess that the Gunting is being discontinued by Spyderco because it didn't sell. Tough rocks. Sell or be dropped. I think most ssw the Gunting and thought, "Over a hundred bucks for that dorky looking knife? No thank you."

No, I don't understand the principles of the Gunting. Perhaps if I bought one and held it I would "get it"? Maybe if I spent another hundred bucks on training DVD's it would help? Of course I can't train by myself so I will have to get a buddy to join me. Wait, I can't train with a live blade so I'll have to spend another hundred bucks on a drone, or is it a CRIMPT? Do I need both? Then again there is only so much I can learn from DVD's and sparring with my buddy in the garage so I will have to pony up the cash to attend a seminar. Maybe another hundred bucks? Maybe more? Damn, "understanding" the Gunting is hurting my wallet!

I can spend all time and energy or I can simply say, "Over a hundred bucks for that dorky looking knife? No thank you." Which is probably the route that most consumers took. Hence it's poor sales and discontinuation from production.

STEVE,
LOL!:D Tell you what,save all that $$$,DON'T buy the G,Drone,Crim,tapes,just take a Seminar.THEN,post & tell me you don't want that DORKY knife!! LOL!!Bet you change your mind!!:D At the very least you come away from the Seminar with same KNIFE INFO that might surprise you .Give it a shot!
Be safe,
Jim

stevekt, yees, you are right, and i agree,
BUT
:cool: .. its the same case, what you wrote up, --when you buy new car and you will be surprised, that you must pay gas after ...if you want go, buy gas ;)
But you cant buy gas. Stay in the garage...

I bought ski and now i have pay for ski boots? :eek:
I bought tennis battledore and i have pay for tennis shoes? :eek:
Etc.

Its the same with Gunting, you can buy it and you can "stay in the garage" ...
Or buy "gas".
Without "gas", it doesnt work ...
Or you can say, ouuu, its really weird knife, i dont buy Gunting.

This is not normal knife, you are right, if you want cut ropes or your wife, buy something different and no weird knife like Gunting is, without doubt...

But if you interested to Filipino Martial Art s y s t e m - training is your hobby, visit seminars for fun, body reliability, and new experiences, and meet new friends, simply you want be better physical!, you want be prepared for unpleasant situation, and ETC., you need buy "g a s".
But you cant. You cant buy Gunting, ski or tennis shoes, you can spent, what you noticed- 300 bucks and buy 3 other knives and say "damn, i spent my money better, i have three knives..."
Yees, but you have 3 knives. Nothing more.
But its ok, you need not more, so its sure,without doubt, good choice.
Cut and sharpen and be happy. ;)

Oh, you forget something, you must buy sheath also, nice combat Kydex sheath, you must add 30 bucks or more, so ... :cool:

stevekt said:
I have no facts and figures to back this up but I can only guess that the Gunting is being discontinued by Spyderco because it didn't sell. Tough rocks. Sell or be dropped. I think most ssw the Gunting and thought, "Over a hundred bucks for that dorky looking knife? No thank you."

No, I don't understand the principles of the Gunting. Perhaps if I bought one and held it I would "get it"? Maybe if I spent another hundred bucks on training DVD's it would help? Of course I can't train by myself so I will have to get a buddy to join me. Wait, I can't train with a live blade so I'll have to spend another hundred bucks on a drone, or is it a CRIMPT? Do I need both? Then again there is only so much I can learn from DVD's and sparring with my buddy in the garage so I will have to pony up the cash to attend a seminar. Maybe another hundred bucks? Maybe more? Damn, "understanding" the Gunting is hurting my wallet!

I can spend all time and energy or I can simply say, "Over a hundred bucks for that dorky looking knife? No thank you." Which is probably the route that most consumers took. Hence it's poor sales and discontinuation from production.

And if you watch the DVD's and train with a friend, you get told you don't "understand" the Gunting because you don't think it's a good choice for required carry. :rolleyes: . Bullshit! Next they'll be telling you you can't mess someone up without MBC! Sorry, been there, done that...

BRAM said:
everyone wants to be the Tactical answer to badguys after 911..its a wide open market with lots of BS respnses and claims...

All too true.

And I hate to be a general rain-on-your parade type fellow, but before you get too excited about Barefoot Simona, you might want to read some of her early history.

Moderator note: All posts regarding Simona's rear have been split into a new thread and moved to the Community Center.

Carlos said:
Moderator note: All posts regarding Simona's rear have been split into a new thread and moved to the Community Center.

You are right! This is discussion about Gunting ... and i showed style tattoo only for imagination, i hope you understand, that is not possible some imagination in the jeans .... and behold!-they are speaking about rear ... thats really strange :D :D

This thread reminds me of the way the libs and dems have been whacking Bush for every imaginary wrong under the sun.

Everything that is good is going to have some unperceptive people who diss it, some dissing may be honest, some may be the result of stupidity.....it's like that.

The Gunting is very good, that's that. To me that is. I find it hard to carry. Because of that, I don't carry it. To find it good you must be convinced of the theory of the potential of escalating force. As a former LEO and serviceman, I was not enamoured with the Gunting concept for sometime, until I realized, it is part of the truth of using edged weapons within certain limitations.

I have never met Bram, but if I go to Florida, I'll visit him, or take a class. If any of my kids go to the US, I'll send them to him to learn about blade usage.

This guy Bram has got part of the truth when it comes to using a blade in today's world. He's got it.

OK, onto Simona, I think she adds colour and fun to the forum and to Bram's school. Boys just have a fascination with "tomb raider" type girls.

Someone was rude to Simona? Well, Simona should know......if they can't date you, then sometimes they become rude to you. You can't get the object of your desire, so to get power over it, you insult it......basic bad human behaviour.

Simona wants to come over to US and get citizenship by marrying, etc? The girl is obviously rich......why should she do that? Not logical.

Anyway, ol' Sia is off limits to me, since I'm married off with issue.

Back