• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Hand Crafted Skull Beads in Wood, Acrylic, Brass and Other Custom Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be using this thread as the sales thread and the original bead thread found here can be used for discussions. I hope this will have keep things organized. I suggest if you haven't already, please review the original thread for additional details. I'll include a brief summary below.

Wood Carvings
All wood carvings will be rough sanded. The face will be fine sanded. Linseed Oil will be added (unless noted) to enhance/deepen/darken color.

Acrylic Carvings
Acrylics with be rough sanded. The face will be fine sanded to 12000 grit leaving a high gloss (glass like) finish.

Metal Carvings
All metals (brass, copper, bronze) are made to order. I have two sizes for metal. They are 3/4 inch stock and 5/8 inch. The 3/4 is better suited for knives and the 5/8 for flashlights. I currently have both sizes available to make copper. I think brass and bronze are available in 3/4 only at the moment. Also, I'm willing to give aluminum another shot, but only in 5/8 size. There is a Ti in 5/8 floating around. This was already sold and extremely difficult to make. There will be no other Ti versions. I suppose money talks, but it wouldn't be worth it! :D

For reference purposes, generally Villain beads in acrylic and wood start with a base 3/4 inch stock.
3/4 Villain : $90.
5/8 Villain : $70.

Here are size pics.
IMAG2218.jpg

IMAG2219.jpg

These prices include shipping CONUS. See below for International orders.

The entire piece will be high polished and the face with be mirror polished. Be aware that these are soft metals so they can scratch easily. Also, being a base copper metal, they will patina quickly. They are totally awesome though! :D

Pricing
Prices will be listed below relative to the piece. There is some flexibility dependent on material cost and difficulty in production.

Shipping
CONUS only and cost is included in the price. PayPal is preferred, HOWEVER, if you don't have PayPal and would like to order, I will accept checks. You must mail in advance and I will have to wait until the check clears before shipping.

INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING
I will ship International but there are a few conditions.

1. Shipping may be delayed since I have to go the Post Office.
2. The cost will be another $5 dollars to cover the International shipping.
3. The buyer has to assume all risk.
4. Absolutely NO EXPRESS INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING. I've mailed two packages this way and had nothing but trouble. First Class or Registered Mail only.

Contact Info
My email is willydigger AT comcast DOT net.
Please start a convo or email me if you'd like order and payment info.

:D Available Products as of February 11, 2013::D

UPDATE NEW MODEL. Gnome. $50. I decided to keep the first gnome, but I've replaced it with my new version. Made of premium cocobolo wood. Comes with bright orange paracord.
DSC_0425.jpg

DSC_0427.jpg

DSC_0428.jpg

Bolivian Rose Villain. $30. Comes with bright orange paracord.
IMAG3096.jpg

Cocobolo Villain. $30. Comes with burnt orange paracord.
IMAG3097.jpg

Polished Aluminum Cylon. $140. Single red 2x6mm trit. Comes with black reflective paracord.
DSC_0363.jpg

DSC_0360.jpg

DSC_0359.jpg

DSC_0373.jpg

DSC_0370.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

Cylon Commander in Brass with Red Trit. $110. Comes with black paracord.
DSC_0317.jpg

DSC_0315.jpg

DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0324.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

GITD Assortment. Each is $35. Paracord color listed in parenthesis. Available from left to right, Blue Nova (blue), SOLD Moon Rock (grey), SOLD Firefly (turquoise) , Kryptonite (neon green).
IMAG3036.jpg

IMAG3037.jpg

Custom Cocobolo Wolf. $60. Comes with burnt orange paracord.
IMAG3018.jpg

IMAG3019.jpg

IMAG3020.jpg

NEW Old Glory (or for you GB folks, Union Jack!). $30. Comes with RWB paracord.
IMAG2835.jpg

IMAG2838_zps04fbfecd.jpg

IMAG2837_zpsbfd5ec86.jpg

IMAG2836_zps3bb8f549.jpg

Silver Bells Villain. $30. This is a new model of the same type of material as the Snowy Christmas, Mineral Sea, and others. Silver and glittery specks highlight this piece. Comes with foliage paracord.
IMAG2740.jpg

IMAG2741.jpg

IMAG2742.jpg

Christmas Present Villain. $30. Comes with hunter paracord. Red acrylic base with "presents" throughout. This could also work as a New Years with "confetti" instead. :D
IMAG2563.jpg

IMAG2564.jpg

IMAG2565.jpg

Marble wood Villain. $30. Comes with coyote brown paracord. Great for those coyote Striders. ;)
IMAG2551.jpg

IMAG2550.jpg

IMAG2552.jpg

Bocote Villain. $30. This has a lot of cool wavy stripes. Very nice piece. Comes with burnt orange paracord.
IMAG2497.jpg

IMAG2498.jpg

IMAG2499.jpg

Confetti Spartan Topper. $35. Comes with bit of black paracord. TEC-S3 NOT Included. NOT Compatible with cerekoted fobs. If you have a cerekoted fob, please let me know before ordering. The coating is thicker than the uncoated and may break the topper.
IMAG2437.jpg

IMAG2438.jpg

Red eyes!
IMAG2439.jpg

IMAG2440.jpg

IMAG2443.jpg

Bocote TEC-S3 Topper. $30. This DOES NOT included the TEC-S3. They can be purchased separately at the forum store. The Topper will come shipped with a piece of digicam paracord and a 10mm SS split ring. NOT Compatible with cerekoted fobs. If you have a cerekoted fob, please let me know before ordering. The coating is thicker than the uncoated and may break the topper.
IMG_1012.jpg

Curly Red Maple. $20. Comes with red paracord.
IMG_0991.jpg

------

Traditional Beads. $20. This will include all polished acrylic, and rough metal. Polished metal extra. Wood versions, $15. All beads can be make with all shown stock (confetti, brass, ghost opal, etc). Show below (Purple Rain, Aqua, Black & Red) is a sample only. These beads are approx. 1/2 diameter x 1/2 wide.

AcrylicBeads.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a variety of alternate images. This post and the above will be updated as cool images become available.

New Packaging! Made in the USA! :cool:
Packaging.jpg

Rainbow.
Assorted.jpg

****Here are some SOLD models****

SOLD SPECIAL EDITION Cow Hide Moo Cow. $40. Comes with black paracord. Special editions are atypical beads that I may make from time to time. This is a larger sized version of the cow topper I made for 2%. This one has eyebrows.
IMAG2778.jpg

SOLD Toxic Villain. $30. Comes with neon green paracord.
IMAG2707.jpg

SOLD **Aluminum** 3/4 Villain. First for sale aluminum Villain! $100. Comes with traditional black paracord. This model is carved from 3/4 stock and the entire piece is high polished. Mirror finish on the face, rough on the head. Stunning piece.
IMAG2609.jpg

SOLD Earth Villain. $30. Comes with green paracord.
IMAG2543.jpg

SOLD 5/8 Copper Spartan Mini. $120. Oh boy! :eek:. Polished. Comes with hunter paracord.
IMAG2295.jpg

SOLD Curly Natural Maple Villain. $30. Comes with coyote tan paracord.
IMAG2399.jpg

SOLD Blue Nova GITD Villain. $35. Comes with blue paracord.
IMAG2353.jpg

IMAG2356.jpg

SOLD Moon Rock GITD Villain. $35. Comes with neon green paracord.
IMAG2426.jpg

IMAG2430.jpg

SOLD Mineral Sea Villain. $30. Comes with coyote tan paracord. This thing POPS with color. Slight iridescence. Swirls of blue, teal, copper, with ribbons of white. AMAZING!
IMAG2474.jpg

SOLD Snowy Christmas Villain. $30. Comes with hunter green paracord.
IMAG2477.jpg

SOLD Cocobolo Spartan. $35. Comes with burnt orange paracord.
IMAG2304.jpg

SOLD Purple Marble $30. Comes with purple paracord.
IMAG2375.jpg

SOLD Curly Teal Maple Villain. $30. The lines are the HIGH chatoyance curls. The stock wood this model was carved from is high curl. Comes with foliage paracord.
IMAG2126.jpg

SOLD Wenge Villain. $30. Those of you who know and work with Wenge know how difficult it can be to work with. The reward is the texture and deep dark brown color. Comes with Coyote Brown paracord.
IMAG2288.jpg

SOLD 3/4 Copper Villain. $90. This is the same size as the wood and acrylic versions. Great for knives. Comes with hunter paracord.
IMAG2221.jpg

SOLD Curly Koa Spartan. $35. Comes with coyote brown paracord.
IMAG2311.jpg

SOLD GITD Green Kryptonite!! $35. :eek: :D Comes with neon green paracord.
During the day, mild mannered bone white with brown freckles.
WSSVGITD.jpg

But at night,
WSSVGITD2.jpg

SOLD Premium Curly Koa. $30. Not really a Stretch or a traditional Villain. I think this is the new design I'm going with. Call it a Villain 2. Comes with a piece of Coyote Brown paracord.
WSSVK2.jpg

SOLD Bolivian Rosewood Villain. $30. Comes with coyote brown paracord.
IMAG2171.jpg

SOLD Lava Orange Villain. $30. Comes with burnt orange paracord.
IMAG2160.jpg

SOLD Smoke Villain. $30. Comes with foliage paracord.
IMAG2177.jpg

SOLD Everdeen Green. $30. Comes with a piece of green paracord.
WSSVEG1_zps58447139.jpg

SOLD Everdeen Green HAZMAT. First piece available for sale. $50. Comes with Neon Green paracord. Introduction post is here.
IMAG2081.jpg

SOLD Zebra wood Villain. $30. Comes with coyote brown paracord.
IMAG2165.jpg

SOLD Marble Wood. $30. Dark and light brown with streaks of black marbling. Comes with a piece of OD Green paracord.
WSSVMa2.jpg

SOLD Psychedelic Acrylic Villain. $30. WOW! Comes with neon green paracord.
IMAG2141.jpg

SOLD Bengal Dot Orange TEC-S3 Topper. $30. This DOES NOT included the TEC-S3. They can be purchased separately at the forum store. The Topper will come shipped with a piece of Safety Orange paracord and a 10mm SS split ring.
IMG_0976.jpg

SOLD Aqua Blue. $30. Comes with blue paracord.
IMAG2039_zps3cd1ce67.jpg

SOLD Jade/Natural G10 Villain. $50. Comes with a piece of neon green paracord.
IMG_0993.jpg

SOLD Everdeen Green Cthulhu. $60. Comes with a piece of neon green paracord.
IMAG2114.jpg

SOLD Curly Green Maple Villain. $30. Comes with a piece of green paracord.
IMAG2076.jpg

SOLD Bengal Dot Orange. $30. Modeled with orange Spyderco PM2 (not included :p). Comes with a piece of orange paracord.
SypPM2OV_zps969966b6.jpg

SOLD Ghost Opal TEC-S3 Topper. $30. This DOES NOT included the TEC-S3. They can be purchased separately at the forum store. The Topper will come shipped with a piece of reflective black paracord and a 10mm SS split ring.
IMAG2045.jpg

SOLD Piggy Pink Villain. $30. Comes with hot pink paracord.
WSSPV1_zps9181a9b3.jpg

SOLD Natural/Tan Micarta Mini. $25. Material free on this one too. Comes with coyote brown paracord.
IMAG2041_zpse175caef.jpg

SOLD Osage Orange. $25.Got the material for free for this one so I'm passing the savings to you. Comes with black paracord.
IMAG2036_zpsfda93d14.jpg

SOLD Confetti Stretch. $30. With RED face. Comes with yellow paracord.
WSSCV2_zps64dd34a1.jpg

SOLD Zebra Villain. $30. This is an older model using black and white acrylic. It is shown with a Confetti Laminate Villain for comparison. This model will come with a black reflective piece of paracord.
WSSVBWAcrAlt2.jpg

SOLD Cocobolo. $30. Gorgeous! Comes with Burnt Orange paracord.
WSSVC2.jpg

SOLD M3 Silver. $40. Comes with Reflective Black paracord.
WSSVM32.jpg

SOLD Aqua Blue ~MEATHEAD~! Keyfob. $35 USD. Comes with blue reflective and white wall knot fob. McGizmo clip shown in pic is not included. Add $3 for clip.
WSSMABKeyFobAlt3.jpg

Last edited:
Below is a quick summary of my creation history. It might prove interesting and give a little detail on how this all started.

This is a repost from my EDCforums post.
----
I was visiting a forum dedicated to Candle Power and was reviewing a thread taking about the CQG-S1 AAA light, when a member posted a couple pics of a Starlingear Skull Bead. I fell in love with the particular design and inquired. Unfortunately like most things I love, they are extremely expensive (Skull Bead, Ku 44DD, my wife). :D

So I decided WTH, let me try and design one in wood. I have some artistic skill and a Dremel, so lets do this.

First lets look at the (Discontinued) Curby Starlingear Skull Bead:

curby.jpg

With CQG-S1:

skullbead.jpg

After a few hours with a Dremel and some small engraving bits my first try, Skull v.1 (with burnt finish, chilling with my Spotlight Speck EDCF Store):

IMAG0880.jpg

IMAG0885.jpg

Never satisfied I decided I could do better (Skull v.2):

WoodSkullBeadAlt1.jpg

WoodSkullBeadFront-1.jpg

Getting creative I decided to try a different type (Boba v.1, chilling with the Spydie Cat):

WoodBoba.jpg

And a larger Skull (Skull v.3):

IMAG0931.jpg

Still not satisfied, I decided to get a few new tools. I traveled to Home Depot and Lowes for some new bits. I bought the Engraver Kit and the Dremel Flex Shaft (I was tired of getting wood dust blown in my face).

Back to the Skull, still aiming to perfect a wooden Curby style. (Skull v.5 with Amber Schellac):

Skull360_1.jpg

Skull360_4.jpg

Skull360_5.jpg

And finally the line of evolution including Skull v.4!

SkullLine.jpg

Can't leave Boba out!

SkullLineBoba.jpg

Last edited:
Then someone said, "hey you should make your own design."

So I did. First was the Meathead, named for its ogre-ish appearance.

WabiSabiSkull.jpg

Then in more exotic woods.
WSSZebraAlt1.jpg

WSSMHAllBC10.jpg

Here is a Meathead group shot. The silver one is aluminum.
WSSAll9.jpg

Then I developed the Villain, named for its mean appearance. Didn't like the six teeth so went with four.
WSSVillian.jpg

Here are some feedback pics from customers.

Collection Piece.
imagexzpy.jpg

Mineral Sea Villain.
img0114ai.jpg

Mini Micarta Villain.
DSCN0177_zps276fc56f.jpg

Confetti Villain.
DSCN0248_zps06df137a.jpg

Zebra wood Villain.
photobucket-5147-1353726604445.jpg

3_zps9e0fb46a-1.jpg

Bloody Murder Red Acrylic Villain.
fb29897d.jpg

5/8 Mini Copper Villain.
img0066tt.jpg

Left to Right: Black/White, Confetti, Curly Green Maple, M3 Silver, Bengal Dot, Ghost
059eb.jpg

Curly Green Maple Villain.
IMG_6142.jpg

Ghost Acrylic Villain.
IMG_6156.jpg

Orange Osage Villain.
image_zpsa22d2b72.jpg

Curly Green Maple Villain.
DSC_0688.jpg

Left to Right: Purple Haze, Smoke, Aqua Villain.
eje3yqaj.jpg

Smoke (with backlight) Villain.
ysu5y8uq.jpg

Custom DD Topper, Purple Haze
avutuha4.jpg

Left to Right, Top to Bottom: Kryptonite, Aqua, M3 Silver, Bolivian Blackwood, Copper, Curly Green Maple, Ghost Villain.
7740328928_6fc2e5b7b2_c.jpg

Forced Patina Copper Villain.
4c6e6789-63d3-5216.jpg

Aqua Villain.
7767524900_c7bcd4645f_b.jpg

Left to Right: Curly Koa Villain, Burmese Rose Meathead, Brass Villain, Curly Koa Meathead, Marblewood Meathead.
7350008194_6e9595bba8_z.jpg

Last edited:
Ok no I don't have a piece id like it to match but also what about micarta
I've never done micarta. I'd have to find stock, but I would bet it would be possible.

I asked about a piece to match, because wood has a tendency to be all over the place with color and consistency. I've seen light and dark bocote.

oh well i would prefer the "yellow" to be a lighter color and the grain lines as dark as possible. i absolutely love how the lighter bocote turns gold with age

oh well i would prefer the "yellow" to be a lighter color and the grain lines as dark as possible. i absolutely love how the lighter bocote turns gold with age
Have a look at these buck. I think you'll be impressed. They are cut from the same block and I tried to match the grain to as close to identical as possible. It was extremely fun to do.

Here they are after the final sand, but prior to the BLO (boiled linseed oil) treatment.
BocoteSetAlt6.jpg

Here they are after the BLO. Dark brown/black stripes with a golden yellow "meat".
BocoteSet.jpg

BocoteSetAlt1.jpg

BocoteSetAlt2.jpg

BocoteSetAlt3.jpg

BocoteSetAlt4.jpg

BocoteSetAlt5.jpg

How much for those two
Generally wood villains are $20 and meatheads $25. Some more exotic woods are a little more, but I don't consider Bocote an exotic. Since you're my first official BF customer (or potential customer :D), it will be $40 for both. Including shipping CONUS, PayPal.

I will include a small strip of OD green paracord with each.
BocoteSetAlt7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back