Harness Jacks- any collectors?

Has anyone else noticed the Schatt & Morgan HJs on eBay lately? I got one of mine in a little late, but there have been quite a few auctioned off in the last couple of weeks. Any reason for this?

I haven't been watching them, kevin. Sometimes one of my dealers has a sale; can you give me a link or two?

That first knife is mine Kevin, it is in mintalicious shape. I am not a celluloid fan and decided a while back to slowly sell all my cell knives no matter how much it hurts..:(

Sunburst

This thread's been snoozing long enough! Here is a new one for me, a Dasco HJ. It's an equal end knife, and has a tang stamp I've never heard of before, However, it looks for all the world like a Schrade contract knife. Everything about it smells like Schrade to me, but I sure would like other opinions!! Feel free to comment!!
DascoHJ.jpg

I'd have to agree on the schrade contract knife, they just can't match that old jigging nowadays.

Dasco.? Who the hell is Dasco??. But, I must compliment you on the knife waynorth as I believe this is the first time I have ever seen an Equal End Harness Jack, ever!. Whether or not I can say for certain that this is a vintage Schrade contract knife or not is beyond my expertise I'm afraid.

From what I can find Dasco operated in Rockford ILL. from 1922 - 1962. They did have a factory and their own production, but that doesn't mean that all or part of your knife was not done on contract by Schrade. I have only seen razors and kitchen knives with that stamp before.

Never heard of Dasco, but that is a sweet looking knife. I can see it in a pair of old work pants as a working companion of some old fellow, perhaps one like my Great Grandpa Rudd. Ya just gotta love those kind of knives.

Nice one to revive the thread with.

From what I can find Dasco operated in Rockford ILL. from 1922 - 1962. They did have a factory and their own production, but that doesn't mean that all or part of your knife was not done on contract by Schrade. I have only seen razors and kitchen knives with that stamp before.
Thanks!! For looking it up, Rivit!
And everyone else for your comments!
Sunnyd, I'll have to dig up some Equal End HJs for you!! Remington made a bunch!!

Hi,

I've got a number of stockmen with punches, but this is my first real harness jack. Thought I would revive this string. I've got a couple of questions: Is this a Carman punch? (What's left of it.) Any idea of the age? Does the bar-shaped shield indicate an older knife? I really appreciate the knowledge in this forum! :)
WinchesterHJ.jpg

This is a Winchester, not a Remington!

mwochna,

Very sweet and vintage knife you have got there. I believe that it is not technically a harness jack though.. As far as I can tell, it is an equal end sleeve-board type folder with a punch blade. But, I may just be splitting hairs at this point. Perhaps our local expert, waynorth can chime in here and give us a definitive classification?!.

Thanks for sharing in any event!.:thumbup:

mwochna, you have an equal end Harness Jack, and a pretty cool one at that. The punch is indeed a Carman, patented April 7, 1908.
The patent was assigned to Napanoch. When Winchester bought them out ca.1919, they used up inventory and tooling, until some unknown time when they switched to an easier to make punch. All the Napanoch HJs I've seen, have that punch, and the few early Winchesters, like yours! Please don't clean it or try to reshape the tip of the punch. You have a great piece there!

Thanks, waynorth! I didn't notice until after I posted the picture that the punch says, "Pat'd 4/7/08" on the reverse. The main blade tang says "Winchester, Trademark, Made in U.S.A." in three lines. I really enjoy old beaters like this and I won't change it. It is a cool chunky old knife and someone carried it for a long time!

Here are some more equal end HJs.
4 Remingtons topped by a junior sized one, and bottomed by a double-end, single spring HJ. (DESSHJ??) I have an Ulster like it. . . .somewhere.
Second pic is of the Dasco seen earlier, along with a Winchester like mwochna's.
RemHJs4.jpg

EEHJs2.jpg

Hey, thanks for posting those, waynorth! I'm glad I revived this string. Awesome knives. Nice to see what mine looked like when it was new. What's the frame length on yours. Mine is 3 5/8". The only difference I see (besides condition!) is the shield. I wonder if they switched from the bar style at some point or if they made both for a while. You have any idea?

Back