Harness Jacks- any collectors?

Three more Equal end HJs, dressed in purty, but scary, celluloid! Two Western States, Boulder, and a slim Winchester. It looks like Winchester copied Remington's punches, or contracted the knives, or just the punches, because that sure looks like a Rem punch!!
Who knows??
EEHJs3-1.jpg

Here's a better view of the etches. This Candy stripe knife is pictured in an older Sargent book.
EEHJs3Etches.jpg

I think your knife is an older one, mwochna. Clip blade, and shield style kinda suggests mine is later.

Waynorth, mine used to be a clip. :( It's about 3/8" to 1/2" too short for the frame. Looks like it was broken and reshaped. I really meant it when I said I couldn't see any differences (besides condition) between your knife and mine. I had mine in my hand and checked it against your picture (great picture!), and the only difference I could see was the shield. Any idea when they stopped using the Carman punch or when they switched from the bar shield?

WOOHOO Charlie those EE's are absolutely stunning!. I'm sure I've never laid eyes on those before. They are especially nice. Thanks for sharing those with us.:thumbup:

Mwochna, I wish I knew the dates. I also wish I knew why. It may never be re-discovered, but I keep mentioning it in case someone knows!
Glad you like them Anthony. I don't get to show them off very often.

No sense wasting a good thread! We haven't looked at HJs for a while, and this block that Art Green sent me is a good reason to bring 'em back! My artistic wife inked it up, and put it in her press. It was made to use for printing catalogs, for Case. The knife is a 6235 1/2P. Not sure what year, but I have yet to see one later than Case XX.
PrintingHarnessJacks.jpg

Charlie I believe that Printing Block to be Older than 1940. The Shield is a Tested era and the blade cut looks to be a Tested era.

Charlie I believe that Printing Block to be Older than 1940. The Shield is a Tested era and the blade cut looks to be a Tested era.
Thanks D.P! You must be a student of Case lineage!

I hope I never stop learning!

Last edited:
CHARLIE, THIS THREAD IS FANTASTIC!
Thanks to everyone for sharing here & letting us see such kewl knives!
GOOD STUFF!

Yawwwwwn!!! Rip Van Winkle thread here needs a little coffee!!:D
There are some pictures of Harness Jacks worth seeing after all these years, and a Remington I haven't seen for some time to show off, so here goes! Hope you enjoy the thread all over again!

RemSerpHJ.jpg

RemSerpHJ1.jpg

RemSerpHJ2.jpg

Note how the Punch Spring "wraps in" to fill the useless space at the end of the punch. This is a class act, seen on old higher end Sheffield knives, and good customs.
Typical recurve clip blade, and Acorn shield signifying a punch jack, are other nice details that Remington used to distinguish their knives.
I'm not that fond of celluloid, because of it's tendency to fail, but I've never seen Remington "Py-rem-ite" go off (he knocks on wood)!
Nice knife, IMO.

Hey there Charlie....Whooooooaaaa, where have I been?....I am going to sit down a bit later on and check out this thread of yours my friend!....I just cant believe I didnt know this was in existance..... 8 pages of HJ's, its going to have to be good :thumbup:

And enjoy the whole thread I just have....Charlie, Anthony...all the others...what awesome knives!!
This was most enjoyable to look through, Charlie we owe you so much my friend so thank you for this.

Hey, Duncan - I just re-read the whole thing also! Trip down memory lane. . . .
Glad you enjoyed it. The HJ history is pretty cool; I can't wait 'til I find the next chapter, wherever it is!!

Wow! This is the first time that I'm seeing this thread. How am I supposed to go to sleep now before reading the entire thing?! :eek:

Back