Hats off................to Opinel

Very very cool ! :thumbsup: :cool:😍 Do you think it is laser engraved? 🤔
Thanks Rob. I'm leaning towards a laser for animal face.The basketweave has a good depth and perfect symmetry to it, so that leaves me in a quandary. 🤔

Edit:laser etched.

Last edited:
Well I finally caved and purchased the Opinel carbon set. Didn’t know what size to get, so I got them all. 😎
I mean honestly, you got 10 knives for what some people spend on 1. Numbers 2-5 are useful, but I usually carry those to places I’m not sure I can bring a knife, and I might want something that’s not alarming which I could also surrender if I’m in that position. 8, 9, 10 and 12 tend to be great camp knives. I love the 6 and 7 sizes for generally everything.

I mean honestly, you got 10 knives for what some people spend on 1. Numbers 2-5 are useful, but I usually carry those to places I’m not sure I can bring a knife, and I might want something that’s not alarming which I could also surrender if I’m in that position. 8, 9, 10 and 12 tend to be great camp knives. I love the 6 and 7 sizes for generally everything.
That’s what I figured. Carry the smaller ones, keep the larger ones in the kitchen and throughout the house. Use the largest one for weeds and outside. Don’t have to worry about losing or messing them up. They seem durable with proper care.

Just an FYI, mineral oil isn’t a very good sealer, because it doesn’t… what’s the word? Polymerize? You can, however, use it to dissolve some bees wax, and rub the mixture on the knives. That will seal them well.
Any tips for getting the two to mix? The best luck I have had is to rub the beeswax on first, then put a bit of mineral oil on my finger and rub it in until it creates a uniform coating.

Any tips for getting the two to mix? The best luck I have had is to rub the beeswax on first, then put a bit of mineral oil on my finger and rub it in until it creates a uniform coating.

I've never done it with mineral oil, but you can use any oil supposedly. Just two parts wax to one part oil. I just put it all in a container in the microwave and hit 30 seconds, stir, 30, stir until it's mixed. Then let it sit overnight and harden up.

If you want it softer, reheat and add more oil. Harder, reheat and add more wax.

You can use different wax and oil mixtures depending on what you are doing. The paste I use on most things is linseed and beeswax.

I've never done it with mineral oil, but you can use any oil supposedly. Just two parts wax to one part oil. I just put it all in a container in the microwave and hit 30 seconds, stir, 30, stir until it's mixed. Then let it sit overnight and harden up.

If you want it softer, reheat and add more oil. Harder, reheat and add more wax.

You can use different wax and oil mixtures depending on what you are doing. The paste I use on most things is linseed and beeswax.

I’m going to try this method, thanks.

Yeah if you are worried about food safe, don't use BLO, use pure linseed or tung oil. I can't find pure linseed locally and have had to order it in smaller quantities. As always the processed stuff is cheaper and in bigger containers lol!

My home paring knives. Great little parers. Use them for work also.
IMG_5212.jpeg

GPO MAN GPO MAN congrats on your lovely purchase..!

For both wood and metal - and all sorts o' other stuff - this is a wonder product, and easily available your side o' the pond:

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 11.31.29.png

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 11.32.18.png

Last edited:
Back