Have you ever lost an expensive knife?

Losing a $500 knife might just about drive anyone crazy.
I don't even own a knife that expensive.

Once I lost my knife in a bar (fell out of my pocket), then returned and went to the place I was sitting at, couldn't find it. Waitress came to me asking if I was looking for something... I said "Yeah, I lost a knife somewhere" and she just handed it back to me.

It was 60€ knife, so no big deal there.

I've lost so many knives I've lost count. I marvel at all the knives that come up for sale here, $500 to $1000. Mine rarely top $150 but I still hate loosing them. The thing I miss the most was the unit Zippo we all were presented after a year with a MACV Advisory Team in VN. It had our MACV Team # on one side and the Vietnamese 7th Division insignia we were advisors to on the other along with the time there. I was on a date and left it in a restaurant. Never could find it and no one turned it in.

I lost my PM2 a year or two ago and that upset me. In my sadness, before deciding which Spyderco to replace it with, I ordered two clones. A few months later I found where it had slipped through my front seat to the rear floorboards. Happy, happy. I gave the PM2 clone to a grandson ( had a great action and slightly longer blade, though the tip was too thin) and I kept the Military clone which really turned out to be a good working knife and one I carry to doctors offices or where guns are not allowed. I replaced the missing PM2 with an Endela K390 which has turned out to be the one I now carry the most. It takes up less pocket room than the PM2.

The strangest loss was a Kershaw 2000 Snap-On commemorative 1550 Blackout. I actually lost 3 of them, one was a different model with G10. But about fifteen years later, 2015, I was tearing down an old outbuilding and down there in the leaves was the commemorative. The blade only showed minor corrosion, but the lock works were all rusted through. Even the handle had warped some. I watched on the auctions for a used one with a broken blade for cheap in hopes of rebuilding this one and saving the commemorative blade. I'd always loved how it took an edge. I finally gave up and sent it into Kershaw for warranty, figuring they would charge me for the neglect. I asked them to try and save the blade since I'd always liked the way it sharpened and took an edge. A while later it returned with everything new except the blade which they carefully cleaned and buffed removing all the corrosion and still leaving it with the commemorative lettering still intact. I thanked them and asked why I wasn't charged, and they said every once in a while, they will simply fix one like that.

Last edited:
I lost my first “expensive” knife, a Griptilian that was a gift from my girl friend. I ordered a replacement immediately when I got home from work. The next day, I found my missing knife lying on the tarmac next to my bus, in a couple of inches of wet snow. The replacement became a christmas gift to my SIL.

My next Benchmade was a mini Barrage, which I thought was about the coolest knife I had ever seen. I still thought it cool even after discovering here that assisted knives were naff. When I lost it, the only replacement I could find had a black blade. WhenI found the satin blade I wanted, I put it on my knife shelf to keep in reserve. Some months later, I noticed that the Benchmade was missing, along with a CRKT M21-something. With just those two missing out of 40 or 50 knives, I immediately suspected my stepson, who had developed a heroin habit. His mother persuaded me not to hunt him down and wring his neck, and I actually counted myself lucky he had not cleaned me out, as he had done with his father’s power tools.
He eventually fessed up, and allowed that Pawn America had given him eighty-five bucks for the Benchmade. He promised to replace them when he got out of treatment. Five years have gone by. I’m not holding my breath.

Yeah just one from my youth. Multi utensil folder with stag or bone handle that came with a cheap holster for carry. A gift if I recall. hated it anyway even as a kid. Laugh when I think of the cheap folders I owned as a kid when compared to the quality of knives today. Surprised how many came with shiny polished blades for the money back then.

Back