Have you ever lost an expensive knife?

Knife I regret losing the most is the SAK Boyscout edition that my dad gave me when I made Eagle. It disappeared during the move from MO to my first duty station in CA 😞. I've thought about picking up another, but it just ain't the same. I did give my pops a custom Huntsman this year that reads PawPaw as that's what all the grandkids call him 😄.

Wasn't super expensive nowadays but kinda was back then. Paid $125 to Kevin McCloskey for an early Mad Dog knife. Small edc type without a sheath. Also ground like an axe so wouldn't cut diddly. This would of been early 90s. The tip broke and I have no idea what happened to it. Gone in the mists of time.........

Well this is timely.. I have been searching the house/car/property for my Quiet Carry Waypoint for going on a month now, and Im someone who rarely ever loses anything...

Still no luck yet.. 😪

Quoting my own post from two weeks ago.

Today was a good day, after making my initial post, and after going on 2 months lost in total, I found my Quiet Carry Waypoint today! Was walking towards the back of the property to throw some corn out for the deer. Not even 3 steps after coming out the back gate I noticed something shiny just laying on the ground. Lo and behold, there she was, just chillin. And thanks to the Vanax/lc200n/Ti, not a spec of rust to be found. Just had to bring her in and wash the dirt out.

Still don't know how she just jumped out of my pocket, but who cares, she's home now. I can finally sleep easy tonight 🥳
20231103_154234.jpg
20231103_201858.jpg

Lost a small Sebenza for a few months. Clip screw fell out while I was at friend's house, and their kid found it. He was like 7 at the time, and didn't mention it to anyone. Eventually his mom (my former college housemate) found it.

I still check that screw every time I put that knife in my pocket.

Reactions: TC
Lost a small Sebenza for a few months. Clip screw fell out while I was at friend's house, and their kid found it. He was like 7 at the time, and didn't mention it to anyone. Eventually his mom (my former college housemate) found it.

I still check that screw every time I put that knife in my pocket.
If I was seven and found a sebenza I would have kept my mouth shut too 😂

I lost a small seb 21 a few years ago. No idea what happened to it, it’s possible one of my roommates at the time stole it.

Also lost a 555hg mini grip 2 days into a 2 week hiking trip.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's lost forever: but I am in the middle of a frantic search for my all-black, harpoon blade Olamic 247...😳
View attachment 2359824
Damn, Bob!

You've shown many Olamics and this one made me the most jealous. I wish I had it. All I can tell you is this: it's with your lost car keys and TV remote.

Dig into your couch cushions.

Look in your refrigerator.

Search through your dirty laundry.

(HaHa)

(Hope I get some laughter and not a Busse through the chest)

The only knife I ever lost was an all black PE Kershaw Shallot 1840CKT which cost me $80 back in the 80's which was a lot of $ to me back then.

Made up by buying every variation of the Shallot including the 1840CKT (except the raindow version which I've never liked) for my collection. :)

A small sebenza spent a year in my couch. I checked there for it but missed it initially. Found it when doing another search for something else at least a year after loosing

I lost a pricey vintage Mont Blanc fountain pen. I pulled my hair out for days. Six months later it shows up in the inside of a suit jacket I hadn’t worn in 6 months. Who the heck would have put it there?

A few that still hurt. Grohmann Canadian belt knife. Laid it down field dressing a deer and it disappeared into thin air. Searched and searched the area,no luck.

The 110 I bought from the ship's exchange in 1972 in the South China Sea went missing during my divorce. Still suspect one of her boys got that one.

Latest loss small Barrage while mowing. Still holding on to faint hope for that one.

The 110 I bought from the ship's exchange in 1972 in the South China Sea went missing during my divorce. Still suspect one of her boys got that one.

In this situation, I'd probably be fine with the boy having it.

But in general, and I know it might be petty, I'd almost rather know that my knife just "returned to the Earth" as apposed to somebody finding it and just heading to the local pawn shop 😂

In this situation, I'd probably be fine with the boy having it.

But in general, and I know it might be petty, I'd almost rather know that my knife just "returned to the Earth" as apposed to somebody finding it and just heading to the local pawn shop 😂
I'm not. Not at all. A meaningful totem to me, nothing but a stolen knife to him. And probably couldn't find it if his life depended on it.

I nearly crapped myself over my small sebenza 21 twice. First time, it got stuck to a garbage bag and thrown into the compactor but luckily I noticed it before it compacted. 2nd was mowing a big commercial property. Searched for hours, sweating bullets and feeling sick. I found it clipped to my seatbelt. Not sure how it happened but I got a Hawk clip for it and haven’t had any issues since.

Expensive is relative and will vary to the individual. I personally try to avoid the really expensive stuff. But about 2 weeks ago I lost one of my more expensive ones, Benchmade Bugout Gray Aluminum 535BK-4 . It is somewhere around about 3 acres of area after a long day. That day, I cleared much of the garden, collected walnuts in the fields and woods. Cleared a few acres of leaves, including back in the woods, worked on trails. Since then I've walked it all again. Checked the couches (My typical worked it's way out of the pocket spots). I even got out the metal detector and walked it all again. I fear the ship is lost and that Davey Jones claimed another victim. I may have to console myself with retail therapy.

Expensive is relative and will vary to the individual. I personally try to avoid the really expensive stuff. But about 2 weeks ago I lost one of my more expensive ones, Benchmade Bugout Gray Aluminum 535BK-4 . It is somewhere around about 3 acres of area after a long day. That day, I cleared much of the garden, collected walnuts in the fields and woods. Cleared a few acres of leaves, including back in the woods, worked on trails. Since then I've walked it all again. Checked the couches (My typical worked it's way out of the pocket spots). I even got out the metal detector and walked it all again. I fear the ship is lost and that Davey Jones claimed another victim. I may have to console myself with retail therapy.
We live on an old farmstead. Had a treasure hunter ask to search around the place with a metal detector. I said fine and mentioned the knife, even directed her to the suspected area. But nope. A couple of poptops, a nail or two and one horseshoe.

Back