Hawaii Knife Life - daily use for work and play

Odd culinary question, do you do anything with the collar or the bloodline?

Collars and cheeks nd any decent sized fish can be a real treat and are often overlooked. I tend to fry the cheeks and grill the collars for tacos, instead of making a fish head soup or the like.

I even grill up the leftover skeleton / rack for more taco meat.... Just because making soup tends to stink up the house a bit and requires a big pot and a lot of fridge space after.

Nice! For collars I looooove doing it up Japanese style. I broil them in soy sauce, sake, honey, togarashi and sesame seeds. I can get salmon collars/heads in NJ for about $1.99 a pound. Love it!

1456002_10152055518698399_959669767_n.jpg

I’m a huge fan of Morakniv knives (I imagine most of us are).

I have been holding back on picking up an Eldris, thinking it’s too small of a blade to be useful.

I ordered one and this showed up today. I have had it in the pocket all day and noted a few things.

While the blade is short, it is still useful. It feels like a purpose built whittler. The handle is actually quite filling and ergonomic. I have size 10 hands and it fills well. The spine is finished as well.

A side benefit...when carried in the pocket...it enhances the illusion that you are “well endowed”.

Eldris for the win!

BD33E398-4B85-4781-B7B8-11E4A53C73CE.jpeg 47AED1FB-C391-4CC5-B0E8-186858D4AE3A.jpeg 3B76AE56-9502-4349-9811-9AD91B69D7C7.jpeg ECB69A77-9D2D-4718-8DA4-AEFD5BF0805D.jpeg

Today I’m trying to get some odd jobs done around the farm. I decided to carry the GB1 and put it to work throughout the day.

Cut some rubber, zip ties, netting, and scraped some thick paint among other things.

I wish I would have bought four of these back when they were just North of a hundred bucks.

BB9F0EFE-79B0-432A-B94B-8C9D2103CF7B.jpeg B51B52AE-3487-4385-9A47-3490127990F6.jpeg 740E8B82-94C4-48D6-B555-338F7470C6E4.jpeg 8B689BFE-C69D-4146-8068-391A0A4289AB.jpeg

Last edited:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

A big thank you to Kevin @Spark for the gift from the livestream giveaway. Very cool swag indeed!

The gas station knife covered in “Hobo Juice” was not salvageable unfortunately hahaha! I tried cleaning the handles off but whatever material it is just kept melting.

At any rate, I’m very appreciative for your forum and all it’s fine members.

B9C11E70-122F-4C28-9251-EE7753B9BE0E.jpeg CB2C1562-3A9C-4FBD-A041-C8639A06285A.jpeg 15870B46-E81D-4561-8BA7-471D8841CF89.jpeg

Hey OP how maintenance intensive is M4 there? I actually took a VToku Endura with me to Maui and tuf clothed it throughly...then was afraid to take it outside my hotel! I edc’d a Salt 2 and a DLC Blur.

I was a little skeptical going into things as to how “acceptable” knives would be, turns out practically everyone has one! I noticed a Spyderco clip (probabaly a Pac Salt) on the pocket of a cop eating next to us also.

Hey OP how maintenance intensive is M4 there? I actually took a VToku Endura with me to Maui and tuf clothed it throughly...then was afraid to take it outside my hotel! I edc’d a Salt 2 and a DLC Blur.

I was a little skeptical going into things as to how “acceptable” knives would be, turns out practically everyone has one! I noticed a Spyderco clip (probabaly a Pac Salt) on the pocket of a cop eating next to us also.

Well first off, nice choice in travel knives!

Despite some of the silly gun laws here, knives are widely accepted for the most part. Honolulu is a bit different as you need to be a bit more discreet.

In regards to CPM M4 and other carbon steels...the answer is yes, I do have to be cognizant of moisture and salt, but I would say no more than anywhere else in the world.

I would not use my high carbon steel knives on boats or while diving. And I’ve used them enough in corrosive environments like shoreline fishing to know they can’t be left wet. The high performance is worth the tiny bit of extra time keeping them dry in some cases.

In contrast, I cut some bananas yesterday with VG10 and did not wipe the knife off for three hours or so. The knife now has spotting that will need Flitz or high grit sandpaper to remove.

I’ve sorta concluded over the years that having so many amazing steel options is a blessing, and to capitalize on the variety offered accordingly!

I don’t carry this Condor Bushlore too often, but it’s a decent knife.

The sheath is pretty nice leather that wasn’t dried out, and fits snug.

Upon arrival it had a convexed Scandinavian grind and some kind of clear coat on the blade.

I removed the clear coat, put a true scandi grind on it, and put BLO on the wooden scales.

In hindsight, I should have left the convexed edge, as the 1045 is relatively soft.

The handle ergos are very good, and allow a lot of different comfortable grips.

Overall it’s a nice knife at what I paid for it several years ago (around 30 bucks). Im pretty sure it’s not selling for that now!

73FB8517-87D5-4D53-AA27-065FE486B37A.jpeg C23D93B4-BE39-427A-8FCF-1A9968A184B6.jpeg 1E89BA5A-5E71-460A-BFF7-43E80614B549.jpeg

A big thank you to Kevin @Spark for the gift from the livestream giveaway. Very cool swag indeed!

The gas station knife covered in “Hobo Juice” was not salvageable unfortunately hahaha! I tried cleaning the handles off but whatever material it is just kept melting.

At any rate, I’m very appreciative for your forum and all it’s fine members.

View attachment 1090994 View attachment 1090995 View attachment 1090996
congrats on the giveaway. that bf labeled folding saw is awesome. I use the heck out of folding saws. expect you do as well on that farm.

congrats on the giveaway. that bf labeled folding saw is awesome. I use the heck out of folding saws. expect you do as well on that farm.

Thanks jbmonkey jbmonkey . I was very pleasantly surprised to win such great stuff.

And yes, I really like folding saws and use them frequently. Silky saws are fantastic and well worth the price.

Hope you had a restful Sunday sir!

Thanks jbmonkey jbmonkey . I was very pleasantly surprised to win such great stuff.

And yes, I really like folding saws and use them frequently. Silky saws are fantastic and well worth the price.

Hope you had a restful Sunday sir!

yes Sir. been traveling for work. 2 states in a couple weeks. got back late yesterday from la, ca. was colder there than home. bachelor this week family traveling in Mississippi. long boring story to this statement...so yes very restful.;) hope y'all also had a great St. Patty's day.

Back