1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! I Need a Safe!

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Apocryphiliac, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Cobalt

Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    [​IMG]

Brummie likes this.
  2. luethge

luethge Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2017
    Dogs that look like the scrapyard mascot are good for guarding a safe full of infi 252A97FC-3EE0-4EE6-8C73-B0CAE8CDA498.jpeg

3. Apocryphiliac

Apocryphiliac Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Hey Garth, would you ask Bossman for me if this thread will qualify me for hogdom? ;)

4. Apocryphiliac

Jan 18, 2017
    See, the reason I still don't want to consider myself a collector is that I want to use every one of these knives! And if I live long enough, I will... but the main reason why I bought so many is that I feel like I need to handle/use them in order to figure out what I like best. I don't know anyone else (IRL) who owns any Busses, so I have to buy them to try them. See what I mean? ;)

luethge likes this.
  5. BlackKnight86

BlackKnight86 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2003
    If I may, I read an article regarding choosing a safe not very long ago, that made me regret spending over $1K on my Fort Knox safe. There were a couple of things to consider:

Even the largest of the gun cabinet safes can be cut or pried open with the right tools in a matter of minutes. If they truly want your stuff and have any level of competence, they will walk out with it. Don't advertise what you have.

Think about a typical house fire and the likelihood you will get in and get your stuff anytime soon if the fire is major. Most of the gun safes have what - 45 minutes worth of protection, using Sheetrock installed behind sheet metal? My understanding is that gun cabinets are not real UL-certified SAFES.....not like a bonefide safe, which would cost an order of magnitude more.

I was told the best thing to do is insure your stuff and keep it in an unobtrusive place. Lock it up more for access control than anything else. A safe guy told me that any decent handyman could do the same level of fire protection using a sheet metal cabinet and fireproofing bought at Home Depot.

If you have the money, either get a REAL safe, or do a room like Garth did.

I use a Huffy drawer tool chest. You should also look for surplus blueprint storage drawers; they are the perfect size drawer to maximize vertical space. New ones are pricey, though.

Nice collection!

grogimus and Apocryphiliac like this.
  6. Yonose

Yonose Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 10, 2017
    I always make sure at least one steel or plastic 50 gallon barrels are visible from any vantage point onto the property. Also plenty empty containers of acid I never get around to recycling.

7. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Looks like a hoarder to me, I'm sure I could help you with your problem though. :D

gk4ever2 likes this.
  8. KnifeKnutz

KnifeKnutz Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Fire protection isn't required it is just more heat treat for INFI ;)

PeteyTwoPointOne likes this.
  9. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    @BlackKnight86 is correct.

There's no SURE THING in safeguarding your blades.

However, it's pretty simple and relatively cheap to make it more difficult for someone to get at your goods.

Take your normal, garden variety, drugged up, burglar-- they ain't likely to have the fortitude to tackle a well placed safe they can't tip over and get to the back or sides. Face it, these scum aren't known for their work ethic. Plus they just won't spend that much time over target. They're edgy, tweaked, and paranoid AF. They're gonna riffle thru drawers and closets and such-- in & out in a few minutes max in most cases.

Now ask yourself this...when was the last time you heard of a homeowner's safe getting cracked? If you've EVER have heard of one, you've also heard of a THOUSAND other thefts where someone left their stuff on their carseat with their doors unlocked or their house's front door unlocked.

It's 90% about ACCESS...or rather, DENYING ACCESS.

Apocryphiliac likes this.
  10. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    People are always so helpful around here! ;):D

11. itadakimasu

itadakimasu

Oct 31, 2013
    Seeing the value of the knives there, I'd imagine getting a safe, or some kind of very sturdy case, should be possible.

12. Yonose

Yonose Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 10, 2017
    One mastiff and or 2 shih tzus have probably thwarted more burglaries than all alarm systems/safes combined.

mb> and luethge like this.
  13. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    I pick up a lot of shitzuh these days. We installed this security system instead of a safe. Requires maintenance, but it’s worked well so far. ;)

[​IMG]

14. ManRay

ManRay Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Humble brag thread. ;)

JK, Nice collection.:thumbsup:

15. Phixt

Phixt Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2016
    Riiiiight. :rolleyes:;)

16. Apocryphiliac

Jan 18, 2017
    No, you’re right, that is a good characterization. I’ll explain before I get roasted more...

I do need the advice on safes, but also I wanted to show off my Busse blades. I figure half of the posters here probably have a lot more than I do, so I figured I’d try to couch it with the safe question... and also I feel like it’s a milestone for me because I probably am never going to have much more than I do right now.

My friends and family all think I’m a weirdo about this... but I’d like to think that Blade Forums approves! :oops:

Cobalt and ManRay like this.
  17. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    Speaking of Family- So I have family spread out all over the place and we take care of family business with FB. I have my aunts and cousins and sisters and even my 96 year old grandma. So I've been posting pics of my knives on there since I started buying them and educating them on Busse. My aunts, who to them I'm still little Lenny, they all love them and see them as pretty and artsy because they know I'm always into something off the wall. They all think it's really cool and it's fun spreading the word about them now that they realize I haven't become a Zombie prepper. One of the best ones, I posted a link to Rob Stanley's YT video opening the WTF (with multiple bleep bleep bleeps) last year and my aunts just laughed their asses off and thought it was just as crazy as anyone would.
    You know the one thing they all asked me when they started to understand what these things cost??? "You have a safe to put those in don't you?" .... Just saying ;)

18. Cobalt

Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    Nothing wrong with showing off a collection. I love seeing what others own.

19. TheMtnMan

TheMtnMan Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I got some room in my safe lol awsome collection man

20. Spirch

Spirch Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2012
    this is my current "safe" and small collection, i think it would be easy to break in :p

[​IMG]