Help! I Need a Safe!

This is the one I have, it is discontinued but the company makes similar. I chose the combination lock just for reliability. It is bolted to my garage's cement foundation.
https://www.adorama.com/sotd36sbcs.html?discontinued=t

I have 8 pistols, 12 rifles, a knife collection almost as big as yours plus some other valuables + papers. There is more room to expand. Couldn't be happier.

Full sized safes are nice, but generally are designed for the Lineir storage... ie rifles, etc. for lateral storage a Rolling tool cabinet/box is amazing for my needs! Mine is 3ft by 6ft. Any Lowe’s, homedepot would sell them. Lockable, generally include rubber drawer liners, and have plenty of room to expand. Plus you can get the bottom half and then when you need it get the upper half.

A cheap cabinet with a fair lock - but paint on it - sewer cleaning buckets - I had a buddy who had a trailer painted up to as a "Septic Tank Cleaning and Un-Plugging Service" - kept his motocross bikes in it- Never had a problem.

I'm moving out of Los Angeles and will be selling my safe. Its a TL30 jewelry safe and weighs 3,850 lb's empty. 5 sides are solid 1 inch steel and the door is 2 inches thick. You can use if for long items or install shelves (the side brackets are already in place). email me if you are interested.

What about shelves with the hidden storage in them. You would need a few of them.
Covert Cabinets makes some.

My advice is don't cheap out. I know too many people who have $20k+ worth of guns in a $900 Costco safe. Just doesn't make sense. Also, my hometown was just ravaged by fire this last October and a lot of safes did not survive, and the people who spent for good safes that survived still lost any cash, paperwork etc that was inside because of the extreme temperatures they had to endure from the home being completely engulfed. Other than that I agree with P2.1 completely, leave yourself plenty of space for growth. I purchased a safe about 8 years ago and thought it was enough, and I filled it immediately. The number of guns they're rated for apparently doesn't include the space taken up by optics, pistol grips or both.

My advice is don't cheap out. I know too many people who have $20k+ worth of guns in a $900 Costco safe. Just doesn't make sense. Also, my hometown was just ravaged by fire this last October and a lot of safes did not survive, and the people who spent for good safes that survived still lost any cash, paperwork etc that was inside because of the extreme temperatures they had to endure from the home being completely engulfed. Other than that I agree with P2.1 completely, leave yourself plenty of space for growth. I purchased a safe about 8 years ago and thought it was enough, and I filled it immediately. The number of guns they're rated for apparently doesn't include the space taken up by optics, pistol grips or both.
That first part is tough, but planning protective placement of the safe is crucial to help in preventing such things as well. Insurance isn't just a paper policy you buy from strangers, it's a pattern of choices you make in the mean time too. I've seen people put their safe in the same room as their firewood stack for their stove/fireplace with every nearby wall made of wood panels:thumbsdown: and just wondered why they even bothered spending money on any kind of fire rated safe.o_O The more concrete, brick, steel or other non-combustible material that is around your safe:thumbsup: and the further away from the 2x6 kindling sticks most people have in the walls of their house, the better your chance of keeping the heat off of it if there is a fire. If you build a vault, that is exactly why they are made from concrete and placed underground whenever possible. People who rent might have less options, but people who own have the choice to do this more intelligently.

From my experience it seems gun capacity is measured in model '94's & pistols with no accounting for a hybrid of the two. :rolleyes: However if you do buy a safe smaller than you really need you may compensate for that by putting every other rifle on it's muzzle to fit more of those bulkier types in the same space. Oh, and ditch the notched board/divider to just make it one big open space for max capacity. If that's not enough, then start planning & saving for the next safe...:cool: or buried shipping container.:eek:

AZTim is right. I own two 48 gun safes and two ammo cabinets and I have overflow and capacity issues. Also if you have long barreled firearms they may not fit (comp .50 with break). I have 2 little kids 5 and below and protection of the stuff is important. There safety is paramount. Spend $ on a good electronic combo safe. Buy bigger than you think you will need, because you eventually will need more space. Hopefully soon :)

Always get a bigger safe than you think you will need. I should say get the biggest safe you can afford and fit. I’m looking for a second large gun safe now myself.
I’m really thinking about the vault room, BUT I don’t know how my wife will feel about me taking half the basement away. Iirc, a good vault door was twice as costly as a good safe. Haven’t looked in a while tho.

Back