Help select my first Buck fixed blade belt knife

Hi Guys,

I would like to buy a Buck fixed blade knife that I can team up with a hatchet and a saw. The knife will be my only knife I carry (my belt knife).

What model do you like the best for knife that can do everything from field work, kitchen work and process game?

Thanks,

Geoff

If the knife will be complemented by a hatchet and saw, you really don't need a large knife. Give the 105 and 102 consideration. If possible handle the knife before you decide.

Bert

Field work, 104, 192.
Kitchen/game, 105 or 117.
I like 102's but the handle is small, and probably not much of a field work knife.

Birds / fish I'd go small knife.
If your gonna treat it like a knife, the 105.
If your gonna be tough on it, I'd go 104 or 192.
I prefer a knife with a wider blade when ripping / cutting open a rib cage on larger game.
Too big a blade, well then then the knife itself gets in the way.

I like the 113 w/ upgrade steel as a good edc.
I have field dressed many deer with a 420hc 113 Ranger.

Last edited:
My first Buck knife was the 118, now discontinued, but, plenty around in various steel flavors. I bought it in 1969-1970. I have used it for everything. I have many others now but still feel naked without it. It's just right, not to small, not to large. Has a smooth curve up to a nice tip.
A2ASelp.jpg

Like others have said, with a hatchet and saw doing the large heavy work a 105 or 117 would be a good size to go in that setup. The 104 compadre is a good size for camping and trail but it might not be a good fish or bird knife so depending on what you plan to do and only one knife this is the deciding factor.

I would make sure you like the type of sheath the knife comes with.
Some are not very impressive.

Tho you can always get a custom.....
In many ways I believe the sheath is as important as the knife.
A bad sheath makes for a knife that doesn't get carried.

Back