Help select my first Buck fixed blade belt knife

Why??:)
John
I hate rust, if I could have every tool I own in SS that would be great.
I do have a couple insulation knives that are D2 and they have rust on them and they live in a tool box.
It is not uncommon for me to be so drenched in sweat that I couldn't be any wetter than if dunked in a pool. So carbon pocket knives don't work for me.
I have a carbon fixed blade hunting knife that my dad gave me when I was a teenager which was given to him when he was a kid from his dad. It is a pain to keep the rust off of it!

@Makeal, That is interesting that D2 is so close to SS. Yes, it's called stain"less" not stain proof but I don't have any issues with the SS unless I get around saltwater then I have gotten a little, but is easily cleaned up.

I hate rust, if I could have every tool I own in SS that would be great.
I do have a couple insulation knives that are D2 and they have rust on them and they live in a tool box.
It is not uncommon for me to be so drenched in sweat that I couldn't be any wetter than if dunked in a pool. So carbon pocket knives don't work for me.
I have a carbon fixed blade hunting knife that my dad gave me when I was a teenager which was given to him when he was a kid from his dad. It is a pain to keep the rust off of it!

@Makeal, That is interesting that D2 is so close to SS. Yes, it's called stain"less" not stain proof but I don't have any issues with the SS unless I get around saltwater then I have gotten a little, but is easily cleaned up.
I’m curious about JB’s D2 since he lives in an area near you. If they are stained or rust has developed. I didn’t realize D2 was so close to being stainless.

What about the new pro versions of the classic fixed blades in s35v and green micarta?

I’m curious about JB’s D2 since he lives in an area near you. If they are stained or rust has developed. I didn’t realize D2 was so close to being stainless.
its fine for the most part unless I sweat on it badly. worst i get from what I do with it is rust freckling. I haven't really gotten it wet with sweat or rain or whatever and let it sit though. I tend to baby carbon steels more than stainless.

My introduction to stainless steel variants was on Victorinox Swiss Army Knives. The cutting blade would stay rust free, but the saw blades would rust. Different grades of stainless. The saw blades had to be harder to have the sharp points stay sharp.

It made me appreciate carbon steel. blades. Then I got my first 110 and found it to be the perfect compromise. Held a good edge I’d get the occasional rust spot and clean it off.

Keep in mind this was all before I was 15 and well before the internet. Before “Boutique” steels.

Until this thread I thought D2 was stainless. My only experience is with the 104 mentioned and the 212’s, none are showing any signs of rust or even any patina. The W2 212’s are getting patina.

We drifted off topic, sorry OP.

Back on topic, the 124 is a really great knife, that carries well.

Last edited:
The OP is still here. I am really enjoying the comments and just being patient to see the thread keep going.

I am a user of knives not a collector (although I guess I collect knives I use).

Most of my knives are flat ground or scandi ground so I am curious how a good hollow ground belt knife will perform in the field. Your experience with these knives will help me make a selection.

Keep the comments coming.

Thanks,

Geoff

Most of my knives are flat ground or scandi ground so I am curious how a good hollow ground belt knife will perform in the field. Your experience with these knives will help me make a selection.
Geoff, I wish I could . All my experience in the field has been with the Buck 110, 118, some with the 105. I bought the SKBlades 104 but haven't had a chance to use it.

I’ve used both flat and hollow ground and each has there strength in performance depending on the tasks. But I’ve come to prefer hollow grind for utility and general use and most of my usage is slicing where the hollow grind excells. The flat grind does work better for cutting harder materials like wood or plastic but I’ve learned my own technique using the hollow grind blade to get it done. All that said the SKBlades 104 compadre ff grind is an outstanding knife for camping duty and it slices meat and soft materials very nicely. So I do highly recommend it as a go to belt knife. Thanks for chiming in, that lets us know you didn’t just come along to seagull us.

I’ve used both flat and hollow ground and each has there strength in performance depending on the tasks. But I’ve come to prefer hollow grind for utility and general use and most of my usage is slicing where the hollow grind excells. The flat grind does work better for cutting harder materials like wood or plastic but I’ve learned my own technique using the hollow grind blade to get it done. All that said the SKBlades 104 compadre ff grind is an outstanding knife for camping duty and it slices meat and soft materials very nicely. So I do highly recommend it as a go to belt knife. Thanks for chiming in, that lets us know you didn’t just come along to seagull us.
Suprised you like hollow grind for slicing when a slicing knife is typically flat. But my wife loves buck kitchen knife hollow grind when slicing cheese etc. I think the hollow grind separate the blade from the cheese vs a flat which cheese sticks bad to the blade.

I am a user of knives not a collector (although I guess I collect knives I use).

Becareful! Thats how I got started. Now i own quite a few i wont likely use. insert roll eyes imoge here.

Don't I know that one! One day I thought "I should get a bayonet for my Garand"... or there was the time I thought "I should find a Bowie to hang with my Hawken"... and the old favorite "I wonder what happened to that old Buck knife I used to carry".

:double eyeroll:

Back