Help select my first Buck fixed blade belt knife

There's some decent slip sheaths for a 212 online.
Mak made me an awesome one.
The 212 isn't running line knife, so where is someone going to buy one? or a 117 for that matter.

I think for an avid hunter, the 105 is probably the best bet. Or a 118, but again, no longer available.
But if you want more of a field knife, put a 110 in your pocket and go with a big fixed blade. I agree with Mak there.... full tang for that job.

Dave's recommendation of a full tang Akonua is a worthy mention.

There's some decent slip sheaths for a 212 online.
Mak made me an awesome one.
The 212 isn't running line knife, so where is someone going to buy one? or a 117 for that matter.

I think for an avid hunter, the 105 is probably the best bet. Or a 118, but again, no longer available.
But if you want more of a field knife, put a 110 in your pocket and go with a big fixed blade. I agree with Mak there.... full tang for that job.

Dave's recommendation of a full tang Akonua is a worthy mention.
I believe 212 sheaths in qty’s of 12 or so are next on my list 10 rights and 2 lefts. I hope to do a better job on them and be able to balance new job and keep my hobby interesting. Every month or so I will pick another model and offer that for the following 30 days in similar qty’s.

I would agree with the 105 and wouldn't go smaller in that scenario, I also like the 539 but it's not as cheap or as available, not fond of the sheath though, but havn't used it for anything other than storage either.
Since I don't belt carry the sheath isn't a consideration of whether or not I buy/like the knife, and if I didn't like it I would just get another sheath for it.

The SK Blades "Frontier" 104 with burlap micarta handle is still available.

Flat grind D2 blade, full tang, nice leather slip sheath, that we here at Blade Forums requested.
It's a custom 104 and it's at a great price. There's 58 in stock as of this post.

Steve at SK has done some very nice things and his knives are always sought after.

www.skblades.com/product-page/the-frontier

That's one of my favorite knives, and would make an awesome user belt knife!!
I may have to get another:p we go camping and the wife always has mine.

Last edited:

Flat grind D2 blade, full tang, nice leather slip sheath, that we here at Blade Forums requested.
It's a custom 104 and it's at a great price. There's 58 in stock as of this post.

Steve at SK has done some very nice things and his knives are always sought after.

Agreed, its a low run buck custom 104 that we may never see again. After were gone our kids will be where the hell did Dad get this knife? Its not on Bucks website, etc,etc.

I'm not a minimalist by any means and this is about as small as I would consider. Its a good sized knife with a camp knife feel and very well done. Flat Grind D2 with a great burlap Micarta handle. Im going to order another one this morning just because I feel once they are gone they are gone.20210403_073409.jpg 20210403_073415.jpg 20210403_073436.jpg 20210403_073447.jpg 20210403_073455.jpg 20210403_073509.jpg 20210403_073523.jpg 20210403_073545.jpg

One less now on the website. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I dont care for the sheath it comes with. the belt loop is too small and tight to move easily for sitting. great knife though and sheath is well made enough its more the belt loop sizing I dont care for. I swapped my user one into the factory sheath.

id prefer Mike's though. looks perfect.

I probably would've got that 104 if it were Stainless steel but carbon steel is a No go for me.

To the o.p. a very similar knife to the 104 is the 632 and it's variations. May be hard to find but probably less money than a 104.

If I could only have one knife it would be the Buck 104 Frontier, so I bought two... and seeing that they are available again considering buying three.
8nYLU9T.jpg

I've been using a dangler for a lower ride option. I can wear it now with a backpack (waist belt). I frequently carry it on my belt with part of the sheath tucked into a pocket when returning for a trip I can stop at a store without scaring the dullards.

aYlBGKh.jpg

1v8mwlj.jpg

I have the regular 104 Compadre too and like it very much. The 104 Frontier just edges it out with handle material and slightly higher grin factor.

STOkOCh.jpg

Both have seen a lot of Kitchen use. The Compadre might be superior in that venue.

Last edited:
That SK 104 is really nice! I wish I had the money to pick one up. Another Buck I've wanted for a long time is the Cabela's Guide Series Vanguard in S30V with the black finish and the rosewood handle. That's a beauty, I'd love to add one to my collection. I don't know if I'd carry it or use it over others I have that fit that bill but I would love to just have one. Now I want that Vanguard and an SK 104 too!

Back