Help select my first Buck fixed blade belt knife

I believe 212 sheaths in qty’s of 12 or so are next on my list 10 rights and 2 lefts. I hope to do a better job on them and be able to balance new job and keep my hobby interesting. Every month or so I will pick another model and offer that for the following 30 days in similar qty’s.

I always wanted a 212 sheath that was a miniature copy of a 124 sheath.

Best of luck in the new job, and balancing everything. Don’t let the hobby become a drudgery.

2nd 104 arrived. Burlap Micarta is perfectly done and has a vintage look. Modern D2 flat grind full tang knife for just over 100 bucks. Such a great knife. Best knife since the Ron Hood Series was discontinued. 20210406_175845.jpg 20210406_175906.jpg 20210406_175949.jpg 20210406_180006.jpg 20210406_180027.jpg 20210406_180336.jpg 20210406_180343.jpg 20210406_180413.jpg 20210406_180456.jpg 20210406_180420.jpg

I bought a couple of them when they came out. my only beef is how many wanted d2 over an upgraded true stainless and then.....well doesn't matter now.....

its a good knife I use often but would have preferred we had it in an upgraded stainless. worth adding to your collection.

I bought a couple of them when they came out. my only beef is how many wanted d2 over an upgraded true stainless and then.....well doesn't matter now.....

its a good knife I use often but would have preferred we had it in an upgraded stainless. worth adding to your collection.
That’s what I was thinking and I agree that an upgrade stainless would have been much better. It’s kinda like the 2018 forum knife 301. A lot of the people voting on it wanted a two blade and then turned around and sold them. Oh well, that gave me the chance to pickup a couple at a decent price. Lol but I’d like it better if they was a three blade.

Ya, I likely would've gotten one. But D2 is a no go for me.

After getting the SKBlades version 104 in D2 I’ve been impressed with it. I wasn’t particularly happy about ff grind and d2 but it works very well for a camping knife and slices better than I expected. I haven’t had any rust or corrosion issues at all and I haven’t been doing anything special just treating it like stainless.

Never had any rust issues with D2.. Like the edge I get and its performance too.. Just me I guess..;)
John
Agreed.
My SK blades 104 is my camp knife of choice, and it's still in great shape.
D2 has a decent amount of chromium in it so it will resist rust if you take care of it.

I dont typically look into steels too much but the info I've seen in this thread made me curious about D2.

I did not know it was .5 off of true stainless.

D2 is considered a “borderline stainless steel” because it contains 11.5 percent chromium. To be classified as stainless, a steel must have at least 12 percent chromium.
Note: stainless simply means a steel resists corrosion. It does not mean it is stain proof.) According to Scott Devanna of SB Specialty Metals, D2 also has a very high carbon content—1.5 percent—which lowers corrosion resistance because the carbon “grabs” a lot of D2’s chromium to form chromium carbides. The chromium carbides are good for improving wear resistance—improved wear resistance enhances edge holding—but they tie up chromium so it is not as “free,” and thus reduce corrosion resistance. Free chromium forms a chromium oxide layer at the surface, and the layer makes a steel corrosion resistant. This helps explain why D2 is not stainless.

Hi Guys,

I would like to buy a Buck fixed blade knife that I can team up with a hatchet and a saw. The knife will be my only knife I carry (my belt knife).

What model do you like the best for knife that can do everything from field work, kitchen work and process game?

Thanks,

Geoff

I had the same question a couple of weeks ago. I picked a 119 with S30V and a wood handle. Now I'm waiting.

Back