1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Hogue EX-05 shot show 2016

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by TheModernNeanderthal, Jan 18, 2016.

1. [​IMG]

Found this on FB.

Have I been gone that long or is this new? I've been waiting for the EX-05 but I've got to say that I'm disappointed if this is it...

2. Zero_Time

Zero_Time

Dec 28, 2006
    Is spyderco giving up the crown of designing "ugly knives"?

Zero

3. PC87

PC87

Dec 27, 2011
    good grief, why waste the material.

4. Rival1314

Rival1314 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 17, 2012
    :eek:you see that OTF hiding in the background.....

5. I did not catch that! Good eye!

6. Misanthropia

Misanthropia Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2011
    I don't believe this is hyperbole, but that may be quite literally the ugliest knife I have ever seen. Good god Hogue, what happened?

7. yoko

yoko

Sep 4, 2011
    So sad the prototypes ended up like a gm prototype. ..... you get all excited, then they drop the design in the toilet and pull out a handful of wtf for you

8. I can see where they were going with it but I agree that it didn't really come together. Allen's designs are out there sometimes but this is a bit much

9. Misanthropia

Misanthropia Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The massive drop to the tip and what appears to be a compound grind (unless that's just some weird effect of the lighting) really makes it hideous to me. The handle is a bit too overstylized but not as bad as the blade. I believe this one is called the "Black Dolphin" from what Allen said on the USN.

10. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    That's uh...wow, that's bad.

11. BubbaGump

BubbaGump

Oct 30, 2015
    [​IMG]

12. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I'm trying very hard not to get caught up on the aesthetics, or in this case the lack thereof, and see the utility. Honestly, it looks like it would have some, but the compound grind baffles me. It's very strange, because I feel like I almost really like this knife, but as is, yeah, ugly.

13. Zero_Time

Zero_Time

Dec 28, 2006
    If dolphins were that ugly, no one would worry about what was in their tuna. And I'm usually a big Elishewitz fan.

Zero

14. hatchettjack

hatchettjack

Aug 4, 2015
    It's a modified sheepsfoot American tanto survivor series knife!

15. Scurvy092

Scurvy092

Jan 31, 2012
    Well that's unfortunate.

16. Zero_Time

Zero_Time

Dec 28, 2006
    How would CharlieMike regrind this knife? I'd love to see a CM version.

Zero

17. jazub

jazub Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2010
    The handle is cool.

That is all I have to say.

18. Yalius

Yalius Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2012
    For some reason, I'm seeing a little of a Kershaw TiLT in this one. Much uglier, no doubt, but there's something TiLT-y about it.

19. I found the inspiration...

[​IMG]

The Hogue EX-05 "Nigel" lol

20. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Ohh, dear......