Hot Off The Bench!

Discussion in 'Darrel Ralph (DDR) Custom Knives & DRT Tactical' started by harkamus, Nov 3, 2011.

1. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    OOPS. accidentally edited your post instead of replying by quote, so I edited again and removed my initial reply to post it below:

Snap pics of the titanium prototype Gunhammer framelock in case Darrel doesn't. I'd love to see them.

2. neuron

neuron Moderator Moderator

Apr 18, 2010
    Haha, the perils of being a mod. :p

And yeah, I'll definitely snap a few pics of the proto at SHOT if Darrel doesn't. (With Darrel's permission, of course! ;) )

3. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    Bullwhip, a Lightfoot/HTM collaboration.
    [​IMG]

4. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    Chad Nichols damascus
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. neuron

Apr 18, 2010
    Those are ridiculous! :eek:

6. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    HTM, 5.5 Tux. Non-glare frame and all black DLC hardware:

clicky:
    222012.jpg

7. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    I don't have a picture of this since it's not built yet, but felt like sharing. I found out earlier on the phone with Darrel that he plans on having a san mai custom Gunhammer. The edge will be m390 sandwiched in between damascus (probably Chad Nichols).

8. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  10. neuron

Apr 18, 2010
    I emailed Darrel a couple days ago to give him an update on how a new finish option he came up with looks after a few weeks of carry/use. The finish involves anodizing the Ti handles and then blasting them,, which retains the color but gives it a more subdued (less shiny) look, and also offers a bit more grip. Darrel asked me to post my update on the forum so others could have a look at it, and I figured the "Hot Off The Bench!" thread would be as good a place as any since it's where a lot of the new stuff from DDR/HTM gets posted and discussed.

My full comments are below, but just so summarize, I give the new finish a big thumbs up. I really like how it looks and feels, and if anything it's getting even cooler-looking over time. I think it'd be a great choice for folks who, in configuring their custom Gunhammer, want the coloration of anodized Ti with the feel of blasted Ti, want some color on their knife but find regular anodized Ti a bit too flashy for their tastes, and so on.

11. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    Would love to see some pics, neuron. Maybe close ups if you can manage, so we can see the worn look.

12. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    rough ground (IE: not finished yet) m390 core on SS Nichols damascus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    More Nichols damascus with m390 damascus core. Damascus on top of damascus. Now, that's insanity!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. TheBleedingEdge

TheBleedingEdge

Apr 14, 2010
    Darrel has achieved that elusive, perfect blend of art and engineering. What amazing pieces.

15. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    HTM Lightfoot blade profiles
    [​IMG]

16. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    [​IMG]

17. neuron

Apr 18, 2010
    Wow. Just...wow. :eek:

18. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    The less serious side of Darrel that people may not know about.

[​IMG]

19. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    [​IMG]

20. TheBleedingEdge

TheBleedingEdge

Apr 14, 2010
    There was never any doubt in my mind.

So, is he the new head of public relations?