How come there's no SOG club? The other brands have clubs..

I figured I should give you guys some idea of the SOG knives I actually own. Here goes:

SOG TECH I (bought in 1994, Seki Japan)
SOG Tech (TiNi Finish, 2010)
SOG Creed (TiNi Finish, 2010)
Tomcat 3
Stingray II w/ Carbon Fiber inlay
Vulcan Tanto (Seki, Japan)
Mini-Vulcan (Seki, Japan)
Aegis (TiNi)
Super SOG Bowie
Jungle Primitive
SOG Fusion Hawk

I think that's about it for now.

SOG DOG 7 OUT!

Alann45,

I think it would be interesting to start out new members as Seal Pup--Baby Seal, & let them work their way up through either contribution, contests, &
the like.

Seal-Pup--Baby Seal
Seal-Pup--Juvenile Seal
Seal-Pup--Young Seal

Something to this effect--I don't know alot about Seals though..except they
make noises n' swim in cold water n' eat fish. Top rank (#1) will be Leopard
Seal (Since they are usually the big ones). Do any of our SOG's Dogs out there know anything about Seals? The animals, specifically. Species, types,
colorations, & the like?

I wonder how Chris is doing?

I wish I could make us a cool club symbol--but I stink at artistry--all I can do is stick-figures.. :p Drawing just isn't in my repertoire! :D I twy tho!

B2D

SOG DOG 1

RUFF-RUFF

Come see us at the DOG HOUSE!!

I'd like to be a Field Marshall if at all allowable ;o)

On a serious note, maybe someone can start a thread on the background of SOG knives and its (direct/indirect) history with the historical MACV/SOG. I'm sure there is plenty of info out there especially on the official SOG site but it would be worth remembering the storied and unique military past which these knives and this company is based upon. I'm an Army vet myself so this relationship holds special meaning for me. Cheers.

SOG DOG 7

This is in no way a bash on SOG because I respect the company overall and haven't had any problems with any of their products.

SOG was the brand that got me interested in knives and knife collecting but as I learned more about knife-steels and knife-making materials, I realized that other companies were offering better materials and more premium steels for relatively the same prices, and I haven't looked back.

I've said this before, not that I think anyone is listening or cares, but if SOG started using more premiums steels and maybe threw some G-10 or Micarta on a couple models, I'd start paying attention (buying) again.

I believe SOG has the best AUS-8A steel on the market due to their treatment and who doesn't love VG-10? If my Vulcan had G-10 handles and Phosphor Bronze washers, I'd be a lot more excited about it. Call me "Naive."

Alann45,

I think it would be interesting to start out new members as Seal Pup--Baby Seal, & let them work their way up through either contribution, contests, &
the like.

Seal-Pup--Baby Seal
Seal-Pup--Juvenile Seal
Seal-Pup--Young Seal

Something to this effect--I don't know alot about Seals though..except they
make noises n' swim in cold water n' eat fish.

A few thoughts on this.
The "pup" names seems a tad demeaning, but combined with the DOG name, kinda fits. Don't really feel strongly about it one way or another (don't have a dog in that fight? har har).

The seal (animal) seems to move away from the basic name DOGS, it is SOG DOGS not SOG SEALS currently.
When ya'll mentioned rank, I assumed you were talking about private, lieutenant, sargent, etc.
Again, personally I don't care for ranks, and practically speaking it sounds overly complicated, however it does seem to fit the general military flavor of the SOG brand, especially the fixed blades.

I do feel a tad stronger about how the Seal designator is used.
Seals are a very elite group of warriors, and IMHO, use of that name should be limited. To do anything less could be perceived as disrespectful.
As you stated in the other forum, maybe for the top level.
The thought did occur to me that SOG SEALS could be a better name for the group, but I discarded the idea for the same reasons.
I may be making way too much out of that because of my huge respect for the Seals, and I'm open to altering my view if those with more experience feel its appropriate...particulary if they are a Seal.:D

I was thinking that a SOG SEAL # might be a good way to handle the designation for the notable people mentioned earlier, to note their special status and serperate them from the regular fans.....just a thought.

I wish I could make us a cool club symbol--but I stink at artistry--all I can do is stick-figures.. :p Drawing just isn't in my repertoire! :D I twy tho!

There are a number of artistically talented folks on here, hopefully we will atrract one. Like you, I have NO talent in that area. But I bet if things keep rolling something will turn up.

SOG DOG #2

On a serious note, maybe someone can start a thread on the background of SOG knives and its (direct/indirect) history with the historical MACV/SOG. I'm sure there is plenty of info out there especially on the official SOG site but it would be worth remembering the storied and unique military past which these knives and this company is based upon. I'm an Army vet myself so this relationship holds special meaning for me. Cheers.

SOG DOG 7

What a great thought!
I've been aware of SOG pretty much since they started, but I'm very fuzzy on any kind of details.
I know we've got some folks on here with a lot of knowledge. Hopefully they will have the time and energy to share.

SOG DOG #2

Alann45,

You are right, ranks would be a pain in the butt. Yea, I don't want to enchroach on the Seals territory, I was just thinking in terms of the Knives.
Dogs--that's our thing! SOG's DOGS!! Yeah, let's stick with dogs--but keep it from being demeaning. I think we can come up with a simple system! (You made me laugh with your dog joke--thank you). No, I have far too much respect for militaries to take their names or titles. :) They deserve great & unending respect & admiration. I value your input. You are, afterall the one who nudged me into this! :D LoL! Bet you'd never thought it'd go this far, huh? Wow..

Pup.
Juvenile.
Young adult.
Adult.
Old Dog.
Big Dog
Top Dog
etc..or something similiar--members please feel free to chime in, all input is
taken into account & valued. The titles aren't meant to be demeaning (I like
puppies!) The ranks are meant to show experience levels & such I think, & to
provide a giveable reward. Contests will draw more attention. But you are right, Alann45, DOGs is more applicable & makes more sense--besides..it'd get weird with the knife titles..I mean..whoa...

Members:Does anyone know anything about the larger, more tough dog breeds? Like sheepdogs, wolfhounds, mastiffs, pitbulls, dobermans, rottweilers, bulldogs, & the like? Dogs are tough animals--which is why I chose dogs! :) Bc SOGs are tough knives & tools (I've seen some pretty heavy use) (Plus dog rhymes with SOG)

Alann45, I want the ranks system, not be be a pain, but to give as a reward for winning contests n' helping out n' stuff. If I could afford to buy prizes I would but I'm broke :( (& I'd never ask any of you to do it). (You've made me
laugh so much that my stomach hurts!) (Sometimes I wonder if u r making me fun of me..LOL! I wouldn't get mad! :D) (Lots of people make fun of me anyway)

Subterfuge-7, that is an excellent idea! I'll get on that right away!!

Undertow82--Well, we're listening. You're input is taken into consideration &
heard. Everyone whom posts here is heard. Well, I don't much about premium steels, but I do know SOG does use VG-10 & some other high-ends. But most people cannot afford them. Personally, I've never been able to afford better than 440-A or Aus-8A. :D

Alann45--Yea, I think giving the SPECIALS a SEAL # would be certainly appropriate! If they are interested, we will issue them one. :D

Alann45--I'm telling on you :D U makin' fun of me! LOL!

Ok..I've laughed so hard I think I cracked a rib..oh..it hurts but it hurts so good.. This is cool! Sharing laughs! It feels like a real club now! It's great.

Yeah, the SPECIALS can have a SEAL #, while the rest of us could have DOG
numbers--both being a part of the club of course, the SEAL #'s (if the specials want it) could differentiate them due to their accomplishments (Robbie, he afterall, invented one of SOG's PRODUCTS!! That's incredible! I think he should have one 2.) Could the specials have both a special # & a regular #? Hmmm..

Oh..my belly..oh..Alann u make me laugh 2 much :D

Btw--how you guys like the DOG-HOUSE? Good name?

B2D

SOG DOG 1

RUFF-RUFF

Come visit the DOG-HOUSE

To all past, current, & future military personel,

I would like to give a warm & heartfelt thank you to all of you & wish you all a safe time
& wish for you all to come home safe & sound. All of us here at SOG DOG's thank you!
Navy SEALS, I hope you do not take my suggestions (Seal Pup, n' such as an insult),
(I meant it as a compliment, though, I don't always think things through as well as I could. I have only the utmost respect & admiration for each & everyone of you.)

Be safe, stay frosty, bless you all..

B2D

SOG's DOG 1

RUFF-RUFF

Please feel free to visit us anytime!

Subterfuge 7, I found this for you--you asked about the origins of SOG, this is what I have found so far. (I did not write this out, nor do I want or take credit for it--I simply found it)

The SOG Knife was designed by Benjamin Baker, the Deputy Chief of the U.S. Counterinsurgency Support Office (CISO).[2] A chrome-moly steel known as SKS-3 was chosen for the blade and hardened to a Rockwell hardness of 55-57.[2] The blade pattern featured a convex false edge on the clip point of a Bowie knife.[1] The stacked leather handle was inspired by a Marbles Gladstone Skinng Knife made in the 1920s owned by Baker, into which finger grooves were molded.[1][2] The blade was typically parkerized or blackened to reduce glare.[1] This was done so by applying a dark gun-blue finish (similar to those used on guns) on this carbon steel knife. The knife was carried in a leather sheath which contained a sharpening steel or whetstone.[1]

The first contract was awarded to Japanese manufacturer Yogi Shokai for 1,300 seven-inch blades designated "Knife, indigenous, RECON, 7", w/scabbard & whetstone" at $9.85 each.[2] In 1966, SOG ordered 1,200 sterile knives with six-inch blades and black sheaths and in March of the following year an additional lot of 3,700 was ordered.[2] This second lot was serial numbered for accountability purposes and was designated "Knife, indigenous, hunting, 6", w/black sheath and whetstone".[2]

In the 1980s a company named SOG Specialty Knives manufactured a knife very similar to the original SOG knife in Seki City, Japan and marked it with the US Army Special Forces Crest.,[1] and named it the "S1 Bowie". The other Vietnam replica knife is known as the "Recon Bowie" by SOG and both knives are manufactured to the same specifications and in the same factory as the original Vietnam-era knives. The last replica knife is the "SCUBA/Demo".

SOG made a version with a stainless steel blade and micarta in commemoration of the U.S. Navy SEALs.,[1] known as the "SOG Trident". Replicas of the SOG knife have been made by Al Mar Knives, Ek Knives, and Strider Knives.[1] None of these knives, however, are currently used by any branch of the US Military in an official capacity. Original models are valuable collector's items among both knife collectors and militaria collectors.

Hope that helps to peak your interest. :) I'm pretty good at info-gathering
I guess. :) I'm trying hard 2 do good for m' SOG DOGs!

B2D

SOG DOG 1

RUFF-RUFF

Come to the DOG-HOUSE! :) See what we're all about!

Hey SOG's DOGs!

Look! We've got over 1,000 views! :D

B2D

SOG DOG 1

RUFF-RUFF

Vist the DOG-HOUSE! We won't bite!

Hey SOG's DOGs!

I'm just checking in :D. Trying to keep track of everything, & make sure everyone gets replied to. (I'm staying in Sog's forum from now on--exclusively
). I think I offended someone on another forum--wasn't aware I did, though.
Yeah, I'm staying here in SOG's forum with m' SOG's DOGs. Hmph! Spamming!
Me? I would never. I know the fellow meant no offense, but it did sort of hurt my feelings. No matter. I'm new to forums AND head of a club..I'm trying hard
to do the best I can! Wasn't my intent to offend anyone--wasn't even aware
I WAS spamming. Hmph! I'll just keep my survival-stuff thread here too, provided it's okay with SOG--since I use SOG gear for that anyway :D. Ah, well, I've got m' SOG-DOGs! :D

B2D

SOGs-DOG 1

RUFF-RUFF

Visit us at the DOG-HOUSE

I DO NOT spam! Please don't refer to me as a spammer.

Alann45,

You are right, ranks would be a pain in the butt......
Alann45, I want the ranks system, not be be a pain, but to give as a reward for winning contests n' helping out n' stuff. If I could afford to buy prizes I would but I'm broke

I understand your point in using it, and its quite logical.
The problem is it sets a fundmental tone, so it needs some thought and input.....not that anything is etched in stone and can't be changed.
Since it is such a pain, might be best to leave it alone until things shake out a bit, and we get some input from members.

If you're going to have a contest, a reward of some kind is nice. There is always the pride of winning, but something tangible is usual.
Maybe gold stars on the OFFICIAL ROSTER? :D
If things continure to grow we may be able to get something of substance. Many folks on here are incredibly generous about donating or giving away items for their fellow enthusiasts.
I'm sure if it seems to be working out well, we could probably talk Chris into a t-shirt or hat or something.

Yeah, the SPECIALS can have a SEAL #, while the rest of us could have DOG
numbers--both being a part of the club of course, the SEAL #'s (if the specials want it) could differentiate them due to their accomplishments (Robbie, he afterall, invented one of SOG's PRODUCTS!! That's incredible! I think he should have one 2.) Could the specials have both a special # & a regular #? Hmmm..
Seems a good idea in general. I'd be interested in Robbie's reaction to it overall, and since he knows those notables better how he thinks they would feel.
Of course, interested in anyones opinion.

SOG DOG #2

Bet you'd never thought it'd go this far, huh? Wow..

It is progressing nicely.
Honestly, I really didn't know how it would go and I've been pleasantly surprised by the reactions.

We tossed the list of SOG knives out just as some sort of "qualifier", but I'm seeing now it may have a much greater benefit.

Several of the posts have mentioned knives I wasn't familiar with (well, thats not that hard to do ;)), but also limited variations, and that sort of thing really appeals to collectors and doesn't seem to have gotten the attention it probably deserves. Hope to see more of that.

SOG DOG #2

Hey SOG's DOGs!

I'm just checking in :D. Trying to keep track of everything, & make sure everyone gets replied to. (I'm staying in Sog's forum from now on--exclusively
). I think I offended someone on another forum--wasn't aware I did, though.
Yeah, I'm staying here in SOG's forum with m' SOG's DOGs. Hmph! Spamming!
Me? I would never. I know the fellow meant no offense, but it did sort of hurt my feelings. No matter. I'm new to forums AND head of a club..I'm trying hard
to do the best I can! Wasn't my intent to offend anyone--wasn't even aware
I WAS spamming. Hmph! I'll just keep my survival-stuff thread here too, provided it's okay with SOG--since I use SOG gear for that anyway :D. Ah, well, I've got m' SOG-DOGs! :D

B2D

SOGs-DOG 1

RUFF-RUFF

Visit us at the DOG-HOUSE

I DO NOT spam! Please don't refer to me as a spammer.

He did say in his last reply that SPAM probably wasn't the right word.
Might have partially been due to two threads with similar info in W&SS.
I don't go to W&SS, so I have no idea what the "mood" is like there.

In general, its best to tread very lightly if discussing one forum in another forum, and keep cross forum content to a minimum, the Mods and users seem to prefer it that way.

SOG DOG #2

Yep, I prefer it that way too, Alann45. I prefer it that way too. :D. As I said,
I'll be sticking exclusively to Sog's forum. :D

B2D

SOG DOG 1

Hi SOG's DOGs!

I just wanted to thank (& a thank you to Mr. J Williams--a nice guy in the survival forums) all my SOG's DOGs & everyone at SOG for the priviledge to work with this club. It has been great so far & I hope it continues to grow & for us all to enjoy it & have fun! I seem to be feeling better than I have been,
which is good, as I know several of you realize I've been very ill lately. (Well,
we can all thank my wonderful girlfriend for my fast-recovery, she is so very
good to me & makes me so very happy.) Alann45, HOW did you know I was over in that forum....? LoL! You said you never go there! N' I did not specify
WHICH forum...:D LOL! Wow, you really do keep great track of SOG's DOGs!
Thank you for all your hard work, I mean that--this club wouldn't be here without you.

The folks over at that forum seem nice to me :). But, of course, my place is here, & this is where I will be :D.

Anyway, a big thanks to SOG n' all the SOG's DOGs!

B2D

SOG DOG 1

Alann45, HOW did you know I was over in that forum....?

If I told ya, I'd have to....oh n/m.

It wasn't exactly a Sherlock Holmes move.
If you left-click on a users name in the banner above his post, one of the drop down options is FIND ALL POSTS BY ....
Since you mentioned you had had trouble elsewhere it wasn't hard to track down.

I don't go there because I'm really not a wilderness kind of guy (which also means you may need a better judge for your contest if you're not available, I'd probably declare the winner the first one who posted a BIC ;)).
My idea of roughing it is doing without a shower at the end of the day....OR having to walk up and down all those dang isles at BLADE (coming June 10-12 in Atlanta...about my only chance to actually handle knives).

Now, if I can figure out the how the guys seem to easily figure out how many posts you have had in a specific forum, I'll be semi-happy. :confused:

SOG DOG #2

Back