1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you personally feel about the CRK price increases?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Dullknivescut, May 5, 2018.

1. mtngunr

mtngunr

Apr 10, 2005
    can anyone say "insulting because they disagree with me"?
    FACT....the Sebenza 25 flopped because it was not made as the old Sebenza which is bushed at stop and pivot for parallel sides and excruciating fit of bushing/blade/washers (thrust bearings).
    FACT....it was designed to strengthen knife and simplify production/cut costs as entire front of scales designed to float while fixed in rear, eliminating need for ultra precise fit. Competition is booming because they do it that way.
    FACT....it was tweaked and rebranded to keep in the line because they want it there.
    FACT....targeted price increase on Sebenza.
    FACT....price increase very quietly initiated.

YOU add it up, you cute little insult machine, you. I was going to leave it at having my say and being done with it, but then you have to go and be insulting. A troll who registered on this site a solid 8yrs ahead of you, friend.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    F22shift likes this.
  2. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 10, 2016
    -
    Lol I can understand 99% of the opinions in this thread, but going with the " they owe no one an explanation as to why they increase their price because they are a private company " is just not a good answer.

Chris Reeve Knives cares about business and their customers right? That's what many here would claim. Keeping up that image is reason enough.

I don't need to know what underwear they wore when they made these decisions, but a heads up outside of a facebook post would be pretty nice. With all due respect if they maintained the attitude of " we don't owe our customers any explanation " I can't imagine that would be a great business tactic.

cashville likes this.
  3. toal299

toal299 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2017
    So just out of curiosity. When the price of natural gas, oil, and electricity go up does your supplier let you know why they are raising their rates or do they just do it and you accept it because you realize the need for all of these things? Chris Reeves Knives is a company that produces knives. The in's and out's of their daily business do not need to be discussed with the general public unless they wish to do so. As a consumer of their goods you have a right to choose whether or not you are willing to pay for their goods but once again they have no obligation to explain to anyone why such decisions are made. :)

4. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    OP I am not exactly sure where you are going on this. Sure they could have put out some sort of press release on the Web site and all media related to them, but what would that change. It would just be some nicely worded PR BS, about how they regret it , but have to raise prices. I think someone said they used the twist of getting product pricing in line on this one. They aren't going to say -we are raising prices, because we want more profits(not that that is the case) The prices are still going to be the prices. If you want to buy a knife this is what you have to pay.
    It doesn't mean they don't care about the customer, but the decision was made. There just is no way to say you have to pay more that pleases a customer.
    To me it doesn't make it any better or worse if I get notified or not. I'll figure it out. It's not for me to say how you should feel-but I don't get it(which is likely what this amounts to).

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    OLd_gUY, cashville and bhyde like this.
  5. peterbright

peterbright Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 29, 2016
    I think they should raise prices even higher.

Thomason and red mag like this.
  6. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    The 25 didn't flop- it actually did pretty well considering the entrenchment of the 21. The name change was to distinguish it as a DIFFERENT knife than the 21. Too much confusion.
    Simplifying production and design is a tenant of engineering called progress. It happens through many industries..Why would they not simplify it?
    Perhaps the design change was to alleviate some of the warranty issues involved- Another engineering process; Reduce warranty returns. And who says that there isn't still an ultra precise fit? The scale flatness has INCREASED as well as the tolerance on the flatness on the blade- Parallelism goes along with this. Just because the pivot bushing is gone doesn't mean that there aren't other considerations..but yes, it does help to reduce parts in an assembly. I can't remember a time when anyone ever said "I sure wish this was more complex because I need more things to do"
    See the first sentence for the "rebranding"- It was to differentiate the 25/Inkosi from the Sebenza 21. It was a correction to a confusing situation for potential customers.
    Prices increase- That is an undeniable fact for any business. In order to stay viable, ALL business must adjust prices. It's not really that hard to understand.
    Should they shoulder the increased prices of doing business and if so, for how long?
    To whom should they announce a price increase and what good would that do? It wasn't a decision that was up for a vote, so there was or is little point in making an announcement in my opinion.

Your position and original post here is aggressive..The follow on responses have been the same despite many positive responses. Keep to the topic- Discussing the topic and not each other..
    Using tenure here as an excuse just doesn't work..It never has, so let's drop that right now.

7. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    If anyone watches steel commodity pricing these days a price hike for any company that uses steel as their main ingredient is in order. Steel is way up this year with all the tariff discussions. It follows suit that manufacturers have to raise prices, even highly specialized manufacturers of sharp, pointy things.

8. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Ditto,
    Just stating FACTS,
    FACT - It doesn't matter how long someone is a member as much as their post history. And
    you friend, have made 4 post in the CRK forum. Not exactly a regular poster in this
    forum. Could be construed as trolling.
    FACT - When the Sebenza 25 was released in mid 2012, it cost more than the 21 and has
    remained that way until recently. I can't figure that out, if CRK's intent was to phase
    out the 21. Doesn't seem so, does it.
    FACT - CRK knives have always been more expensive than most other brands, even in the
    early days.
    FACT - CRK did phase out the regular Sebenza for the 21
    FACT - The 21 is the best selling knife CRK makes, so it only stands to reason that the
    model that uses the most material, labor and is the best seller would be the one to
    see a price increase so the other models can stay competitive.

BellaBlades and Murphjd25 like this.
  9. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    I personally feel they are definitely worth the price of admission and then some. I can’t wait to get another one now.

OLd_gUY likes this.
  10. pwrdbycotn

pwrdbycotn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2015
    You don’t have much else in life to worry about, do you? Sad.

OLd_gUY likes this.
  11. Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    What’s truly sad is instead of contributing anything of substance you chose to post an ad hominem.

12. pwrdbycotn

Feb 17, 2015
    How about instead of whining about CRK not mailing you a hand-written letter notifying you of a price change, you try to think of something worthwhile to post that will lead to intelligent discussion? Your whiny, snowflake attitude is annoying. They did make an announcement about the price change, you just aren't looking in the right places, and that's not their fault. It's not their job to seek you out and ask your opinion. Either be more informed, or quit whining.

OLd_gUY likes this.
  13. Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    I would say since we cannot live without electricity or energy as a species anymore that kind of forces our hand but yes I agree with your point. They are under no obvious legal obligation or otherwise to disclose these things, I just assumed it may be seen as a smart business tactic to have more transparency with your base, that’s it. However it seems anyone who invests a lot of money with CRK probably follows them on their social media platforms, and everyone else only plans on getting one or two in their lifetime if that.

So although to some people like me who only have 5 CRK blades and a limited source of income, it may seem dismissive or “ interesting “ to raise the price of your main seller the most. To someone who has 100+ CRKs, the majority of their collection just went up in value so I am assuming this is why the majority of the big time collectors don’t seem to mind.

My main interest was how the community reacted to the price increase. Some had little to no interest, others taking even a humorous approach to it, some probably even liked it. Certainly a great business position for CRK to be in.

14. pwrdbycotn

Feb 17, 2015
    How many times do you have to be told? They announced the price increase in the fanpage on facebook. The group has 6000 members. Just because you aren’t in the group doesn’t mean they aren’t being transparent, it means that you’re hiding under a rock. Stop whining.

OLd_gUY and Lone_Wolfe like this.
  15. Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    Relax I’m not going to fight with you, if you cannot maintain a civil and mature attitude without deliberately misconstruing my words than I am also not going to interact with you here at all. It is quite interesting you feel the need to attack others over this.

16. pwrdbycotn

Feb 17, 2015
    How am I misconstruing your words? You keep saying you think they need more transparency, yet they made an announcement about it on facebook. Whether you like it or not, social media is where most, if not all, companies are making these kinds of announcements now. They aren’t coming into a sub-forum and starting a thread where twenty people are going to see it.

17. Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    See below I bolded what I believe to be relevant.

“ I would say since we cannot live without electricity or energy as a species anymore that kind of forces our hand but yes I agree with your point. They are under no obvious legal obligation or otherwise to disclose these things, I just assumed it may be seen as a smart business tactic to have more transparency with your base, that’s it. However it seems anyone who invests a lot of money with CRK probably follows them on their social media platforms, and everyone else only plans on getting one or two in their lifetime if that. “

This was me essentially agreeing with the other poster “ toal229 “ that they probably did reach their “ core “ base even if it was a small but loyal one. Then you immediately responded ignoring any point I have tried to communicate with the post and went on with your insults, ad hominem attacks, and even if “ misconstruing “ wasn’t the most accurate way to categorize your responses, ignoring complete sentences, exaggerating their context, attempting to belittle as well as being antagonistic certainly is.

Life is too short to fight over such trivial things, if you want to provide responses that aren’t out right posts looking for arguments I will respond like I did here to explain myself. Otherwise I won’t entertain such responses as I respect the moderators and community, as well as to maintain a productive thread. I believe the last post directed towards toal299 pretty much summarized how I perceived this whole thing so since you know now we are not going to argue, maybe read it over again and I bet you’ll see that we agree within some regard.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  18. pwrdbycotn

Feb 17, 2015
    Exactly, it’s a trivial thing! Yet you found it to be a big enough deal to start a useless thread about, and bash them for lack of transparency, even though it was told to you early on that they announced it on FB. Next time, if you feel something is trivial, don’t start useless threads about it.

OLd_gUY likes this.
  19. Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    I don’t believe the main focus of this thread to be trivial. I believe your anger is directed towards trivial things and this correlates with my earlier point regarding you focusing on ad hominems instead of substantive responses, as well as purposefully misconstruing my statments and looking for avenues to argue.

If this thread helps me or other “ newer “ members understand the community and CRKs with more clarity while giving a space for further discussion, it is not useless whatsoever. I was not bashing anyone, and if I appeared to be “ bashing “ anyone that was not my intention.

I like to understand things, and this was my first significant CRK price increase that I have experienced when looking at inlayed 21 models, I was simply surprised at the lack of communication ( especially regarding the communities reaction as well, ) but I believe my previous post to the user toal gives a decent depiction of how I perceived all of this even if you don’t agree with every facet of my post.

20. pwrdbycotn

Feb 17, 2015
    Please explain how this is helping anyone, new or otherwise.
    You again have said you’re surprised at the lack of communication. Please tell us what you feel they should have done that would have satisfied your need for notification of a price increase.

OLd_gUY likes this.