1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you personally feel about the CRK price increases?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Dullknivescut, May 5, 2018.

1. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    1.) I already responded to you referencing the above quote in bold directed towards the other member, but if I were you I would read the entire original post to toal for full context.

2.) I stated this literally in my very last post to you. “ ( especially regarding the communities reaction as well, ) “

Number 2 explained, there wasn’t as much discussion surrounding this as I had expected, and simply out of curiosity I started this thread. If this thread in anyway encourages different opinions, speculation, or further discussion that I felt was void, it does not hurt.

I have attempted to communicate with you ( against my better judgement ) but you just keep going in circles, beginning with ad hominems and ending with repetitive responses that I had already addressed.

If you feel this thread breaks the TOS you can feel free to report it to a moderator. However since you claim to see no value in it whatsoever I assume you won’t further waste either of our time. I will also no longer entertain what I assume to be an attempt to derail and or troll this thread simply because you do not believe it to be “worthy” of being created to begin with. So post away in this “ useless “ thread ( a contradiction and slightly ironic if you ask me ) however you will not receive another response from me.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  2. Iron City

Iron City Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Wait, CRK raised prices?!?!?!?! I was on the road for work and got behind on vmail/email. I just checked my messages and got no word from Tim. wth....

OLd_gUY, MSchott and aengina like this.
  3. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    While not all are on Facebook or instagram, me included, enough are that major info does filter over here. If someone doesn't report it directly it certainly will come up if someone asks a related ? Not to say someone who doesn't follow the forum regularly can't miss it.
    I was aware of the increase

OLd_gUY likes this.
  4. pwrdbycotn

pwrdbycotn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2015
    TL;DR

5. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    They raised the base price of a few of their models I believe, the most being up to 450 for the regular Sebenza 21. So for example instead of 705 a non premium inlayed Damascus large Sebenza would run 750 now.

If you already knew about this than you’re safe, there weren’t any further increase. I believe the Mnandi and their fixed blades prices remain untouched as well.

6. untytled

untytled Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Mnandi generally were 375-400 standard vs premium wood. They are now 400-450.

7. Iron City

Jan 15, 2005
    Good intel, I am planning on ordering a mammoth inlay with a serrated blade and that is a factor.

aengina likes this.
  8. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    Checking my purchase history I paid 400 for a thuya Mnandi back in june of 2017 from knivesshipfree, you’re positive premium woods weren’t at 450 back then too? I’m only referencing the very last price increase that happened which I believe mnandis were untouched. I could be wrong about the premium wood inlays but I don’t think I am.

9. pwrdbycotn

Feb 17, 2015
    Good choice! I’d get that same combo, but with damascus.

aengina likes this.
  10. Iron City

Jan 15, 2005
    Yeah... not sure there. Their new damascus patterns tend to disappear in the wrong light.

OLd_gUY and aengina like this.
  11. pwrdbycotn

Feb 17, 2015
    Sigh. Why was there no announcement about the new disappearing damascus?

Heirphoto, OLd_gUY and aengina like this.
  12. FourD

FourD Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2017
    I think I remember another price increase about a dozen years or so ago. It was announced by CRK somewhere - I don't remember where - and explained as a supply vs. demand issue addressed through a cost increase (less demand as the cost goes up = more supply for those willing/able to pay). I thought it was classy that they took the time to announce it, but unnecessary, as prices are bound to increase over time as material and labour costs increase.

13. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    Do you mind going into a little more detail? I personally have a ladder Devin Thomas Damascus Sebenza from 2017 that looks great.

Is there a new Damascus they are using! And are you talking about the pattern fading or just a weak pattern from the beginning?

I’m interested because I was planning to pick up a another basketweave Devin Thomas Damascus down the road.

14. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/some-damascus-pattern-clarification-per-blade.1581749/unread

Iron City likes this.
  15. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
  16. VolGrad

VolGrad Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2010
    I was pretty upset I didn't get a personal phone call from Tim or Anne informing me of the price increase and explaining to me why it was necessary. I mean isn't that what every other maker/vendor does? Don't they all inform all of their customers individually and explain the increase? Oh wait ......

I always hate to see price increases on goods I like but fact is they have to keep up. I am sure their input costs have increased over the years and they are simply playing catch-up. I am also guessing they spend plenty in design and machine cost to improve their products and to maintain quality. I'm good with that.

Besides, there is always the secondary market if you don't want to pay full retail.

Lone_Wolfe and NCHunter78 like this.
  17. jbarsquat

jbarsquat Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2017
    I’m upset with the timing as I am trying to find a couple specific birthdates and now they are popping up $50-$75 higher than they were a month ago

OLd_gUY likes this.
  18. blanco112

blanco112 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2016
    This was, in fact, how many chose to see it, although (similar to the stock market) flawed logic if one is a net buyer of CRKs. Others understood these steps are needed to ensure the health of a company we all want to see around for a long time. But for the most part, many saw this amount as inconsequential when you are considering the total cost of a CRK, which is also effectively a luxury good.

They've been 400 and 450 for quite a while now. If you see any at 375 it's old stock the dealer never increased their price on.

19. Phixt

Phixt Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2016
    The price increases are universal; even for makers grinding from stock, as the stock alone went up.

It's never just.

20. untytled

untytled Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2014
    If memory serves correctly I believe the change happened early 2016 for the mnandi

Either way it doesn't matter much, I haven't stopped buying them.

Last edited: May 11, 2018