how many buy other knifes while waiting

Thread Resurrected from the Dead...

So with the wait for my 5.1 going into the fall 2017 (at least in my estimation) I ordered a Swamp rat Ratmandu to replace my BK2 for the 2017 season. Ordered the RMD in mid Nov got a 7-14 shipping notice Monday.

I've ordered while waiting. Haven't done it in awhile that can get crazy

Thread Resurrected from the Dead...

So with the wait for my 5.1 going into the fall 2017 (at least in my estimation) I ordered a Swamp rat Ratmandu to replace my BK2 for the 2017 season. Ordered the RMD in mid Nov got a 7-14 shipping notice Monday.

Nice! I know there's some guys here who have and love Swamp Rats. The bk2 isn't a slouch either, though!

The Rodent Rucki has been calling my name but I am really restricted on my knife buying now

Just snagged a Carothers Light Chopper (like winning the lottery, 10 knives with 31 wants within 60 seconds) so I'm most likely going to cancel my 2 outstanding Survive orders. Too bad as the 2.7 would be a great compliment to my others, but C'est la vie.

Does anyone by any chance know of any custom knife makers that are now using the new delta 3V heat treat, or any makers that will be using it in the future???

It was developed and is being used by Nathan Carothers and his custom knives.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to try my best to get ahold of one of his field knives, but they seems to vanish very quickly once he puts them up for sale!

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific with my query. From what I understand, Carothers and Survive! are a small-medium scale operation (semi-custom knives). So I was wondering if there are any individual custom makers out there that would be able to build a mid size fixed blade for me with this new steel, or are these two makers the only ones who currently use this steel at all??

Just snagged a Carothers Light Chopper (like winning the lottery, 10 knives with 31 wants within 60 seconds) so I'm most likely going to cancel my 2 outstanding Survive orders. Too bad as the 2.7 would be a great compliment to my others, but C'est la vie.
That is quite a feat you pulled off with the CPK! Way to go! I'd really like to experience one of Nathan's knives someday. Too bad about your S!K orders, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Does anyone by any chance know of any custom knife makers that are now using the new delta 3V heat treat, or any makers that will be using it in the future???
As far as I know SURVIVE!, Nathan (like Xtian said) and Dan Keffeler are the exclusive holy trinity of delta 3v.

I occasionally come across something that I just can't resist.
For example, I recently picked up a four inch blade custom with S90V in the maker's fixed blade section of BF.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to try my best to get ahold of one of his field knives, but they seems to vanish very quickly once he puts them up for sale!

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific with my query. From what I understand, Carothers and Survive! are a small-medium scale operation (semi-custom knives). So I was wondering if there are any individual custom makers out there that would be able to build a mid size fixed blade for me with this new steel, or are these two makers the only ones who currently use this steel at all??

Nah man, like Silver said, only Survive, Carothers & Keffeler use it because these 3 makers developed the HT together and (as expected), I doubt they would want to share their secrets with anyone else as it is basically some of the best (subjectively speaking) heat treating there is at the moment.

That being said, obviously there are many custom makers who use 3V, just not with the same HT

We don't know much of anything about the heat treat process, except that is has been named Delta 3V and the process is essentially a trade secret.
Somebody else could be using an extremely similar process without knowing it, but it would not carry the named designation.

I haven't bought a lot, but waiting on my 12 had me cursing the web for other large fixed blades. I stumbled onto the BRK Grizzly and picked one up. I really should have never missed out on the first run, but stuff happens...LOL.

I think the Grizzly and the 12 will be different enough to justify and they may even compliment one another.

Thanks for clarifying that Silver and Xtian.

I'm a little concerned that it'll be quite a few years before Survive! will be able to produce another batch of 4.7s with the new heat treat, because of all the other models that need to be built and shipped first 😢

I'm a little concerned that it'll be quite a few years before Survive! will be able to produce another batch of 4.7s with the new heat treat, because of all the other models that need to be built and shipped first 😢

Possibly but they still have regular sales every now and then.
If not theres always the exchange once the D3V gets shipped out and people resell them. But expect the prices to be jacked up quite i bit haha. Or you could try your luck with the carothers sales.

Is the 4.7 the only size you're interested in? There is a fair few other models coming out with the new HT.

I only have a 6 on pre-order which will be my first knife from survive. But i have a fair few on my want list haha waiting to see how i find the 6 before i make up my mind on the other ones i have planned to get :D

Last edited:
Nah man, like Silver said, only Survive, Carothers & Keffeler use it because these 3 makers developed the HT together and (as expected), I doubt they would want to share their secrets with anyone else as it is basically some of the best (subjectively speaking) heat treating there is at the moment.

That being said, obviously there are many custom makers who use 3V, just not with the same HT

I am told (second hand) that Six Three Bladeworks is selling knives in Delta 3V. I asked how that could be because I also thought it was developed just by those three in collaboration. The reply was that Peter's will do it for others.

I would suspect you're right and I quietly obsessed over this for a bit, but I honestly don't expect to notice the difference in my uses. The allure of having the very best available is strong, though! Also, right now I've convinced myself that the 4.7 is the very best model for what I like to use a knife for, but we'll see if I'm still singing that tune when I get a 4.1!

As far as other knives, I got a Leatherman surge a few months ago, but have otherwise completely stopped knife buying. I do an awful lot of looking though. Most of my "fun" budget has gone towards gear recently.

I am told (second hand) that Six Three Bladeworks is selling knives in Delta 3V. I asked how that could be because I also thought it was developed just by those three in collaboration. The reply was that Peter's will do it for others.

Wow! Interesting! I had seen words like "proprietary" and possibilities of "patten", but I guess that never came through. I've never heard anything directly.

I am not saying my friend isn't well informed, but I do doubt that the steel is in fact D3V. It's pretty well known that those three jointly developed a special, tweaked HT process. Regardless, he believes that's what he bought. If it were me, I'd be asking more questions.

Back