how many buy other knifes while waiting

I've bought other Survive!, Busse, Swamp Rat, and Bark Rivers between waiting for arrivals. In the last two years I think I have 35 fixed blades with 9 of them being Survive!. It's an addiction because I only have two hands and can only bring out one or two on any backpacking, camping, or road trip. At least it's cheaper than many other hobbies out there.

I do about the same supertac. I think of it as paying to play. Buy it, use it, sell it.....unless it makes the grade of 'keeper' ha. Usually a guy can recoup most of his funds on the quality blades, even with use on them.

Other than S!K, I mostly I stay with Busse-kin and Nathan Carothers, which is apparent from my sig line. But I like some of Buck's production knives, the vanguard in particular, and of course the 110. I picked up a modified 110 from Silver Knights with a drop point blade in 154 CM that I really like.

I still really want a CG FBM from Busse and a choilless boss jack. Both of those really call to me. I should just break down and buy an 1111 and a 1311 from the Yard. I've got most of the Rats I want unless Jerry cranks out a Ratweiler or Rat Mastiff LE in INFI or the custom shop opens back up. If they ever do, I want one more RMD with a drop point and satin finish, hand-smoothed scales and solid pins.

Like Supertac916 I have way more knives than I could ever use but I do like to trade here and there. Recent pieces I traded for[ bought the edc-4].
PICT1245_zpshev1kbqt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

yes, my mistake...while we're on the subject, i still haven't received your $500 check for it :p

[emoji19]we'll call it even at a dinner at Tejas and a bottle of Maker's Mark next time we camp. [emoji12]

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'd like to understand a bit more about this peen finishing process. For example, if one was to use the spine to strike a ferro rod, a tiny bit material would inevitably be removed from the spine of the blade each time. Would this result in the pores of the steel being opened up/exposed, and that part of the blade then becoming more susceptible to corrosion???

Im not a mettalurgist, but I did stay at a holiday inn once!

I dont know the exact reason but I remember Guy showing pics on instagram of the peened finish and tweaked HT showing improved resistance to corrosion when compared to the old stonewashed finish and standard 3V HT. The blades were left outside unoiled and exposed to the elements for months and the results were visible.

I think that you theory of a spine edge that is ised as a striker being more susceptible to corrosion could be valid but it would have to be tested.

How hard is a ferro rod on a spine? All my rods have their own steels, so I haven't used spines very much.

I remember Guy saying that the peening creates less "highs and lows" on the surface of the metal making less spots for moisture and corrosion to hide and stick.

Im not a mettalurgist, but I did stay at a holiday inn once!

I dont know the exact reason but I remember Guy showing pics on instagram of the peened finish and tweaked HT showing improved resistance to corrosion when compared to the old stonewashed finish and standard 3V HT. The blades were left outside unoiled and exposed to the elements for months and the results were visible.

I think that you theory of a spine edge that is ised as a striker being more susceptible to corrosion could be valid but it would have to be tested.

Haha.
I also remember seeing that post.
Well, guess I'll have to put it to the test to find out! I'm only a few kms (or miles :p ) from the ocean, so should have an answer in a few weeks give or take.

How hard is a ferro rod on a spine? All my rods have their own steels, so I haven't used spines very much.

I remember Guy saying that the peening creates less "highs and lows" on the surface of the metal making less spots for moisture and corrosion to hide and stick.

I've noticed a tiny bit of material that's been removed from the spine where I've been striking the ferro rod. It has been approx. 20 strikes with the beefy 6 inch one though :D

I also always have a steel with the ferro rod, but I just wanted to do a once off test of the spine on the 4.7. This should also be a good test for the corrosion resistance.

Its possible that striking on a ferro rod could smooth out the rough spine edge and actually polish it havingthe opposite result you expect.

Its possible that striking on a ferro rod could smooth out the rough spine edge and actually polish it havingthe opposite result you expect.
Rough spine edge? Obviously not on one of Guy's knives...

Ferro notch is an option, no? so it's being added once the blade is ordered as such. so that seems to me, that either finish, peen or tumbled, is ground away with the ferro option. What am I missing?

Good point! I suppose alot might also depend on and how often it's struck, since a regularly used and/or oiled edge tends to not rust as much as a neglected one.
Hmmm......almost wishing I hadn't thought of this in the first place, because now I want to study metallurgy!

Ferro notch is an option, no? so it's being added once the blade is ordered as such. so that seems to me, that either finish, peen or tumbled, is ground away with the ferro option. What am I missing?

Correct, however, my 4.7 doesn't have the ferro notch. As I said before I just want to get a feel for how good the corrosion resistance is for this 2nd latest 3V 'tweak'.
I'll probably never use the 4.7 to strike a ferro rod again (hopefully)

Edit: Would be nice if Nathan or Dan could give their expert opinion, since Guy is probably too busy at the moment :D

Last edited:
...I'm a small time knife maker, one man show and I only recently started making knives about a year ago...

Welcome to bladeforums!!! :)

Please consider offering your knives and other products here on our makers' exchange, I think you would find some interested customers, if you can handle collecting more: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/767-KnifeMaker-s-Market-Knives-amp-More-for-Sale

And I agree with what was already posted, excellent first post :thumbup:

Back