How many of us play a musical instrument?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by snippy, Jul 30, 2014.

Do you play a musical instrument?

1. Yes, I play a musical instrument

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, I do not play a musical instrument

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    I Play Bass, but I'm a better luthier than player. Havent played in awhile due to back issues.
    I have a 1984 G&L L-2000, all original. A Solid body Double Bass that I bought as a project and rebuilt almost everything on it and a 60's style Jazz Bass that I put together from an old lawsuit bass body I had, EMG pickups, Fender neck and vintage tuners I bought off eBay.

[​IMG]

2. Beard&Owl

Beard&Owl

Dec 26, 2012
    Hey cool, I play guitar, mandolin, a bit of banjo, a bit of bass and used to play a bit of piano. I played in a rock, blues, jam type, rockabilly band for a number of years and had a great time (probably too great) traveling around and playing random clubs and venues. My babies are my treasured Gibson SG and my Fender Tele, they've played a lot of shows and been lots of places with many memories that I hope I never forget. After about 5 years of torturing myself playing all night and having to get up early in the morning to get to work and teaching lessons, I finally called it quits and just went to my "normal" job and other artistic ventures. What a time that was but not sure I could live that lifestyle again.

3. JulianHayes

JulianHayes

Mar 17, 2012
    I play the piano. And a bunch of others, except double reeds. Years of Cello from a young age, French horn, tuba, alto sax, bari, then bass and guitar, drums.... I was lucky enough to study jazz bass at Lamont school of music and piano for a while with an amazing faculty. Finishing my composition degree this year at san francisco state. Big jazz fan, and I love old fenders. Have a 76 jazz bass, 71 musicmaster, and my pride and joy, a Rhodes stage 73. Love all kinds of music, but always end up with Monk, Dolphy, mingus, or maybe Robert johnson on my mind. Glad I'm not the only one who also likes knives. If anyone in San Francisco plays jazz let me know..

karda, Who makes that electric upright? how does it sound? that looks like fun

4. FilipinoPhil2011

FilipinoPhil2011

Jun 24, 2014
    I've been playing piano for about 8 years now. Also really digged the sound of a ukulele so I've been messing around with a uke for the past couple years.

5. snippy

snippy

Apr 1, 2014
    Amazing how much musical talent is hanging out in a knife forum. I love it.

JDieseljoe69 mentioned playing clarinet in grade school. So did I and that is one frustrating instrument! I gave it to my brother who is a professional sax player and he recently told me that he is surprised that the damn clarinet didn't make me quit music altogether!

Thanks to everyone for posting - I'm reading and enjoying all of them.

Some of your gear? Wow. And that Alembic is just stunning.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  6. Jenner 515

Jenner 515

Nov 27, 2002
    I've been a fiddle player for close to 35 years, also play some Mandolin and some Banjo.

7. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    I was told a professional Bass player had two of these made and traded in this one unfinished for other equipment. It has a solid body with lots of flame in it ( I can't remember what wood right now though) and the neck, I was told, was from a very old vintage DB. When I got it, it was just sort of thrown together to test fittage of the parts so far. There is no name on the neck. It is pretty much custom from top to bottom, finished by me. When I was finished I had a friend and local notable Double Bass Player check her out for fit finish and playability and he was amazed that it sounded just as sweet as his $2000 Czechoslovakian bass he's been playing for many years. The only thing he didn't care for about her was here weight, which is pretty heavy when compared to a traditional hollow body DB.

8. moraldilemma666

moraldilemma666

Mar 15, 2013
    Only guitar to speak of... dabbled briefly in woodwinds, Drums and Bass.

9. The Aflac Duck

The Aflac Duck Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Hey awesome, This thread rocks (literally)!

I play guitar; blues/blues rock, acoustic blues, anything blues!

Here's the family. From left: Guild D150, Fender American standard strat, 50's gallotone champion (uber rare, buts needs restoration), and a Martin 00-15M (00, not an 000).
    [​IMG]

I even had my strat signed by Tal Bergman and Carmine Rojas at a Joe Bonamassa concert!
    Carmine's signature is wearing off from playing it all the time, but it's the memory that counts:)
    [​IMG]

Here's proof! They both are totally awesome guys, very happy to have fans approach them. They had some friends of theirs approach us while we were talking and they told them "well be with you guys in a second, we wanna sign this guys guitar!":eek:Shocking! I couldn't believe that they didn't just walk away from me, that shows alot of respect for their fans IMO!
    [​IMG]

10. liamstrain

liamstrain Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2013
    What style of fiddle do you play?

11. james terrio

james terrio Sharpest Knife in the Light Socket

Apr 15, 2010
    Electric guitar here. Mostly rock and "classic" metal.

12. mwerner

mwerner

Apr 23, 2002
    Mostly guitar for me... Since 1975 or so. Have a Taylor GS Mini, a brass-bodied resonator, and just bought an Ibanez semi-hollow... getting into fingerstyle jazz.
    I also play a little banjo and mandolin... And I have a whole raft of "cigar-box" homemade instruments. Several guitars including a resonator, a mandola, a banjo, even a lap steel and a fiddle (can't play it, but I built it....)

Still fool with the harmonica... Dogs hate it.

13. Apollyon

Apollyon

Jun 18, 2013
    Mainly guitar I play a Schecter Jeff Loomis 7-string through a Peavey 6505+ amp I mostly play metal, Thrash, neo classical and technical stuff. Also mess around with a bass and piano, I would post pics but I suck at taking them and I dont have a good camera. :(

14. Rypper

Rypper

Dec 5, 2012
    Self-taught drummer, guitarist, and pianist.

15. loogie

loogie Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Drums here

16. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    I pick a little guitar here and there...

17. snippy

snippy

Apr 1, 2014
    Some great pictures and stories here! Karda - your solid body upright is just too cool.

Here is my current rig:

[​IMG]

2012 American Standard P
    Hartke LH500
    Aguilar DB112-NT

18. KNaB

KNaB

Oct 18, 2008
    I play guitar as well. I play everything and anything and I'm not shy about using effects to get the sound or noise I'm after. I'm currently re-re-re-organizing my pedal board(s) (forever a work in progress), everything is in shambles. I primarily play through a Vox ac30.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The Jaguar is a Johnny Marr signature model. I'm generally not a fan of signature models, but this one is completely different from any othher production jaguar and it is a USA Fender.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  19. MuleHead

MuleHead

Jan 27, 2014
    Electric Spoon anybody? Seriously THEY ROCK! This guy goes crazy at the end of the video. Unfortunately I can only play the acoustic spoons :D

[youtube]VAxrE7X0ff8[/youtube]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  20. garak7

garak7

Jun 8, 2014
    Wow, lots of great gear, people. Here's my Warmoth build that I tried to make like the 70's P Bass that was stolen from me in 1976. I never quite got over it so I built this about a few months ago. It was Warmoth body and neck. The rest was Fender parts, trying to keep it as close to original as possible. It plays and sounds great. Looks just like the original too.

[​IMG]