How often do you see 'higher end' knives out in public (other than in your own pocket)?

Also in Oregon; I see lots of clips in pockets all the time.
Mostly Kershaw and Benchmade, lots of buck 110 and Leathermans on belt pouches too.

I've seen Emersons, ZT's, and a few Spyderco.
Lots of my friends carry knives too; mini grips, PM2, microtech otfs and so on.
I've given away Kershaws, Cold Steel, and others to friends too, so lots of people are well equipped!

You should have told her "Hey at least we didn't touch tips!" Or yelled "Wondertwins power activate!" :D

Or hold them over your heads and yell 'By the power of Greyskulllllllll!!!!!':D.

Certainly seem like most of us have a better chance of a wolverine sighting than seeing one of the 'Big 3'

Boss

I’ve seen the cheapies and a few Benchmades. The exception was about a year I was at a Cabela’s and saw a guy with a Sebenza in his pocket. Wanted to say something to him but it never worked out.

I've seen a 3 inch Hinderer Xm18, a small Sebbie, more that a couple Microtech OTFs, dozens of Benchamades, a couple Emersons, some PM2s....

There was also the guy with the mokume hate pig necklace and the John Graham custom.

Edit: I forgot about the ZT 0456 and the 0566cf

^^ he forgot to mention he was at the recent bladeshow...

Last edited:
Saw an Emerson once.
As for the more exotics, they aren't called Safe Sally's for nothing.

If I want to see a unusual knife, I have to look in my own pocket.

I saw a guy with a spilt clip and orange G10 sticking out of his pocket at a restuarant last week and I sat there staring at it while eating my dinner trying to determine if it was just a gas station knife or some cheap replica clip.

Over the years I have asked a couple people what knife they are carrying because the clip looks like it might be something. But the disspointment on my face when they pull out a $15. gas station knife, well, it leaves me speechless. So I don't ask what someone else is carrying due to I don't know what to say like,.. oh it's a piece of crap! My mistake.

Never :(

If I ever see a Timascus pocket clip, a clip I recognize like CRK, or the tail end of a CQC-6 sticking out of someones pocket I'll be right up in his face with a "whatcha got there" o_O

If I saw someone with a CQC-6 I would ask for his phone number. LOL!

Never. Even I don't carry a high-end knife (Cold Steel Code 4 spear-point in CTS-XHP). The best I've seen someone else carry is a CRKT M16. We're not discussing multi-tools here but I have seen a few SAKs (yes, even SAKs are few and far-between where I live) and a couple of Leatherman Waves. I like to take out my Surge and boast that I'm the only one who's got a battleship. :D

Very rarely, I see a lot of folks carrying knives but hardly ever see one that costs over 50 smackos.

I carry always a knife here in France. The local French carry knives , sometimes a Leatherman, but usually an Opinel or Laguiole.
These are well used tools , and I have yet to see one that is (a) sharp or (b) stainless steel.
Usually they are well worn and dirty/rusty.
Often you see Police with Leatherman tools on their gunbelts!

Some big named US knives are sold here in gun/knife shops. You can even find the Opinel for sale in supermarkets.

I carry my Spyderco Wolfspyder , or PM2. I have never seen any other makes being carried.
At the Nontron knife show , yes you will see many handmade folding knives , some are in excess of 1000 Euros.
Sadly none of my friends carry . A shame really!!

In Arkansas, either a Buck 110 on a sheath and if it is a pocket clip knife, a Kershaw or a leatherman type pocket tool. Out of the guys I know, I know probably 9-10 have a yellow case trapper in their pocket.

I live in Spain. I have seen SAKs, Leathermans, and Spanish navajas. A few years ago I met a fellow knife nut in an arms shop, who carried a Benchmade Skirmish with Ti handles and purple anodized details. I had not sharpened the knife I had on me - a Lionsteel SR2 - for a while, while his knife was razor sharp. Yeah, he had me beat on all levels.

Once, I think? I'm pretty sure I saw an Emerson clip, but I didn't get a good look at it -- so basically never. :D

Excluding knife stores, I don't think I've ever knowingly met someone who was into knives. Maybe someday!

Seen a small Sebbie that was gifted to the person. Couple of stock para 2’s and SS delicas. One ZT, and a few Benchmades. Always stock stuff like grips. And I’ve seen a cold steel or two.

I’ve got two buddies that carry OTF’s. A microtech troodon D/E (process server) and an HK otf(retired cop)

I’ve got one friend of a friend who really digs knives has a para 2 M4 as a safe queen. Anytime we meet, we basically alienate others with our “knife” talk.

Last edited:
I deal with the public and have no shame in asking strangers what knife they have clipped to their pockets. It's usually M-tech, a Gerber para-frame, a cheap Kershaw, or a box cutter.
Minus the time I identified a XL CS Espada on a guys pocket (he was about 19) we talked about knives and went our separate ways.
I've come across many Benchmades... And to be honest almost none were sharp, ass tons of lint in the the axis lock, and most haven't seen oil in years.

Last edited:
Offhand (in order of commonality) -
1) Orange snap knives / flat box cutters.
2) SAK's.
3) Various Chinese tactical copies of things.
4) Buck 110's and copies. These got supplanted by the Chinese copies by the late 90's.
5) Leatherman tools - All grades.
6) Spyderco - Enduras, Delicas, then a few stainless models. Less than maybe a dozen total.
7) Odds and Ends like worn Japanese butterflies, 007 knives, etc....

The most expensive I've seen were an old model Sebenza that belonged to an older man, and a Cold Steel Tanto a Heavy Metal kid had on the train.

Oddest - Spyderco Ramco Laguiole, I did a double take on that, guy was using it to peel his orange. Night bus driver with a Gerber Aussie Bowie tucked into his jacket. It fell out of his coat, and I think he thought I'd make a scene out of it. I laughed, and waved it off. German style folding bowie on another fellow that worked nights.

I saw a guy with a Benchmade Triage while walking in downtown Denver, and a couple years prior encountered a gentleman with a Benchmade 940 while I was at work. At that same job, I also ran into a guy with a very shopworn Emerson of some variety. Outside of that, all I’ve seen is a Hogue EX-01 and a Spyderco Manix in the hands of my friend that I turned on to knives years back.

Back