I fricken LOVE Emerson haters

^ First time I've read this... and I'll have to agree with him 100%.

If that's the drunken rants of an angry old man then I'll have what he's drinking.

These two are also very unattractive:
IMG_3851.jpg

https://cdn.emersonknives.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/EK-Catalog2018-med-res.pdf

Page 3...it's a very well done catalog but that page is more than a little out of place.
Eh. Maybe, because I'm a little older, I don't really disagree with anything he said (which means I agree with a good bit). It's kinda "Gran Torino." I bet he'd like that comparison. It's just an editorial piece, and while possibly out of place, he doesn't say anything outlandish and I would say it's probably very on target for his brand demographic. I was expecting some Mel Gibson kinda stuff...

He is also the guy who named a knife "Rendition" and wrote a caption backing up why. Touchy subject, takes some balls to voice that opinion.

https://cdn.emersonknives.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/EK-Catalog2018-med-res.pdf

Page 3...it's a very well done catalog but that page is more than a little out of place.
OK, I just slowly re-read that page, with an intent to see it in a critical light... and I absolutely cannot understand how anything expressly said or even implied could be seen as "out of place". I am being dead serious. Mr. Emerson has quite lucidly described precisely what American exceptionalism and ideals are about, and how those that impugn them also benefit from them, even to the point of their very ability to do so.

The OP has definitely spelled out something I agree with but never really realized.

When im out working Im cutting through plastic pots to remove bushes, cutting burlap and rope, all material that are rough on a blade. On top of that they’re dirty. Dirt will dull the best steel. I keep a diamond stone with me and on large landscaping jobs sometimes have to touch up my blade. So I appreciate ease of sharpening

Sure, I can see that. But it seems like a more abrasion-resistant steel at higher hardness would mean you have to touch it up less. And you carry a diamond stone with you (exactly like I would do if I expected to use my knife heavily for an extended period of time), so the ability to sharpen it on a random rock seems unnecessary.

A complaint I've heard from reviewers is about the chisel grind in general and that, according to them, the blade is ground on the wrong side. Some Emersons are offered in both 154 CPM and S35VN. Apparently the wave feature may make them illegal in Massachussets which doesn't make me hate Emerson knives it just dictates which models I buy–a Mini A100 and a waveless CQC7A.

A complaint I've heard from reviewers is about the chisel grind in general and that, according to them, the blade is ground on the wrong side. Some Emersons are offered in both 154 CPM and S35VN. Apparently the wave feature may make them illegal in Massachussets which doesn't make me hate Emerson knives it just dictates which models I buy–a Mini A100 and a waveless CQC7A.
Yeah, I've seen the chisel argument re: being ground on the left rather than the right.

I used to work as a chef, and had some single bevel knives for certain things. They were ground on the right hand side, and for things like skinning a side of fish they worked great - that is done moving the knife laterally away from the body so the right side grind makes sense. I wonder for a closer use knife if left side grind might not be better, since as a right hander moving medially in theory generates more power and would make the left side grind effective.

OK, I just slowly re-read that page, with an intent to see it in a critical light... and I absolutely cannot understand how anything expressly said or even implied could be seen as "out of place". I am being dead serious. Mr. Emerson has quite lucidly described precisely what American exceptionalism and ideals are about, and how those that impugn them also benefit from them, even to the point of their very ability to do so.

The OP has definitely spelled out something I agree with but never really realized.

I just don't like having someone's politics/opinions/world view etc crammed down my throat. I don't disagree with many of his points, I just don't see why the catalog needs an OPed on the state of America in 2018...we came there for knives, let's stay with the knives. Kind of how I hate celebrities who think just because they are famous and have a camera in front of them suddenly think I care to hear their political views.

End of tangent...back on topic, no one has mentioned customer service yet, it is generally quite good.

I like Emersons and have a bunch of them. I carry one of them just about every day.
I also own a couple of Harleys and enjoy riding them, as well as a couple of other motorcycles I own.
The Emersons, like the Harleys, do not have the fit, finish and attention to detail that other brands offer.
The Emersons, like the Harleys cost more compared to other brands that oftentimes offer better performance in certain categories of evaluation. For example, my Suzuki 1250 Bandit will spank either of my Harleys in acceleration, deceleration and handling - for much less cost of acquisition.
If I just want a motorcycle, any motorcycle, that can go, stop and corner - I can get better for less in brands other than Harley. If I want a knife, any knife, to cut food, open packages, maybe carve some fuzz sticks now and again a <$35 RAT-1, Cold Steel Voyager or the like will do me just fine and multiple RAT-1s or CS Voyagers can be had for the price of one Emerson of similar size - those duplicates would last me a lifetime.

All of that being said, I enjoy owning and carrying my Emersons and even enjoy the ones sitting in the safe with serial numbers matching birth years of my children and Safe Queen duplicates of favorite models that are part of my EDC rotation. I also enjoy owning, maintaining and riding my Harleys. Oh, and I am admitting that I am not a high speed- low drag super secret black bag operator running around globe clandestinely doing bad things to bad people; nor am I a hard core bad ass 1% -er outlaw biker. I just enjoy Emersons and Harleys.

If only the chisel grinds were on the other side! Or, perhaps I could just learn how to slice pepperoni and cheese left handed. ;)

Yes, if only...

ADkSgRa.jpg

uBhHL7u.jpg

4wXDyyq.jpg

bjlYR3i.jpg

wbaCUcO.jpg

vxGfInW.jpg

y1b6kpl.jpg

0QTCagD.jpg

Great post, awesome knives and pics. i love knowing why i appreciate emerson knives. Ive tried many other with more contemporary steels, swiss watch precision finishing, and guess what, I still prefer Ernie's hard use knives.

SALTY SALTY nice post.

I just watched an Emerson hating YT video. It was entertaining on so many levels. For one the guy is filming the video on his (I would guess) concrete slab apartment porch/yard with a tent over him, drinking beer out of a giant stein.

The complaints basically are everything - handle material, steel, detent being non-existent (?), gapping between the handles and liners, blade stock being too thin, phillips screws, and on and on. Almost my favorite was that the whole handle is a hot spot, and especially the clip. That it just digs into his hand. I'm just wondering how tender peoples' hands are that complain about hot spots, or how long on a given day most YouTubers actually hold and work with a knife. My pervious job I held a knife for hours during a work day, and while some are better than others, minus a really ridiculous handle, it's fine. Or if a knife handle is the height of discomfort in someones life they must have led a pretty cushy life.

I just don't like having someone's politics/opinions/world view etc crammed down my throat. I don't disagree with many of his points, I just don't see why the catalog needs an OPed on the state of America in 2018...we came there for knives, let's stay with the knives. Kind of how I hate celebrities who think just because they are famous and have a camera in front of them suddenly think I care to hear their political views.

End of tangent...back on topic, no one has mentioned customer service yet, it is generally quite good.

First, I'd hardly say one page in a catalog is "being crammed down one's throat". Second, based upon the reactions in this thread, "page 3" likely endears support and potentially increases sales for Emerson - THAT is a solid reason for its inclusion. And Third, I personally don't see anything "political" about patriotism - simply being proud of one's own country.

Yeah, I've seen the chisel argument re: being ground on the left rather than the right.

I used to work as a chef, and had some single bevel knives for certain things. They were ground on the right hand side, and for things like skinning a side of fish they worked great - that is done moving the knife laterally away from the body so the right side grind makes sense. I wonder for a closer use knife if left side grind might not be better, since as a right hander moving medially in theory generates more power and would make the left side grind effective.

The Emerson Chisel grind only appears to be on the wrong side for righties at first glance. When you take into account that Emersons were designed as specialized apple peeling knives (where you hold the knife with the edge facing towards yourself) then you realize the genius.

^ Also an unintentional (or perhaps intentional) bonus for righties is that the full chisel blade presents a full flat side to the enemy (ie: the general public) when holding the knife open in your hand. This reduces the optics of the blade with less detail to catch the eye so as to make it less visible.

If I'm wearing dark colors (black ideally) and have a black blade 7 in my hand you literally can not see it, however if it were ground the other way with the logo and exposed working edge facing out then those features draw the eye. It's happened before where I was using one of my knives and someone commented that they didn't know I was holding a knife.

Some knives just check off every box for you and some don't. Emersons work for me. I only have two right now but if funds were unlimited I'd have a lot more. Personally, I can't stand Kershaws...they just seem wrong to me. I wouldn't go bitching about them on Kershaw forums though, because I don't know what purpose that would serve.

^ Also an unintentional (or perhaps intentional) bonus for righties is that the full chisel blade presents a full flat side to the enemy (ie: the general public) when holding the knife open in your hand. This reduces the optics of the blade with less detail to catch the eye so as to make it less visible.

If I'm wearing dark colors (black ideally) and have a black blade 7 in my hand you literally can not see it, however if it were ground the other way with the logo and exposed working edge facing out then those features draw the eye. It's happened before where I was using one of my knives and someone commented that they didn't know I was holding a knife.

I hear ya, but let's keep this in context and keep it real.

Speaking only for myself, I haven't taken out a sentry, silenced a guard dog or EKIA'd anyone lately - and certainly not with a knife ... let alone my pocket/folding knife. If your long gun is, for whatever reason not being used and you have to switch to your pistol and that, for whatever reason not being used and you have to switch to your fixed blade for whatever reason not being used and you have to switch to your folder - all presupposing that no teammates are anywhere to be found, I would think by that point the situation had degraded so much and things are so dire the, in the moment, you probably could not care less if the enemy saw your folding knife's blade.

Now, re-entering the atmosphere from orbit, I have, in the normal course of my somewhat normal life, had frequent occasions to: cut pepperoni, sausage, cheese, fruit, vegetables (maybe I spend too much time eating??) where I prefer the spoils to be pushed away from the blade, not into the material about to be cut. My Emersons are also deployed for opening envelopes and similar containment apparatus which I keep holding in my left (weak/off) hand while using the knife in my right (strong/dominant) hand. Likewise with boxes, packaging, cordage of one form or another and a variety of other inanimate objects. (If I were cutting something other than inanimate, I would keep that to myself ;) )

So, the next time I find myself having to HAHO, HALO, SCUBA, Draeger, SWCC-boat, belly-crawl or otherwise insert to the kitchen or mail room of my office to perform an Op, I will remember that the flat side of my blade has less optical signature than the presentation side. Then again, more than half my Emersons are silver, not black. They are also not sterile so no jettisoning of gear on the Xfil.

I am of the belief that us poor right handed folk suffer the travails of the grind so that the traditionally photographed left or presentation side of the knife has more (all the) glamour. Either the universe of knife photography has to be altered or I will have to learn to cut pepperoni and cheese left handed!

Gotta get my full battle-rattle on for today; thinking CQC-8 and a Leatherman Wave.

Back