1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I HATE KARAMBITS BUT.... CRKT PROVOKE CASWELL DESIGN NEW VIDEO PG 10

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JParanee, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    I like CRKT only because they do knock-offs of really interesting knife designs.

But karambits are unique in that they have to fit the hand perfectly to reach their potential. I've tried several karambits, but none have fit my hand right. The karambit should fit the hand like a tight, leather glove, with the blade basically being a functional claw.

This complicated, moving-parts-up-the-ying-yang design is clever and cool, but I'm not seeing the functional advantage. Maybe the upcoming reviews will prove me wrong.

DocJD and Bad Ninja like this.
  2. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    All comments are welcome

Remember I don’t really care for CRKT or Karambits :)

My hope is that since this is Caswell design the standards were kept up to something he would be pleased his name is on

I’m just intrigued by the whole design and before I spend $650 on a Karambit I’d rather spend $186 :)

Lapedog and GlockMonster30 like this.
  3. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I'm most likely going to buy one, but I'll wait until I see reviews from people here first. For what it is, I'm not sure that the custom one is worth the upcharge. I understand why it's more expensive, but for what this knife is designed to do and how it's made, the premium materials are not justified besides someone just wanting a higher end version. But that's just my opinion.

4. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Even if the hawkbill blade doesn't tickle your fancy, this looks like one seriously fun and interesting knife!

5. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
    Or you can order the original Millet Knives made version

6. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Isn't it 2-3x the cost of the CRKT version?

7. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    I would really like to have one of these for novelty/toy joy. Going to have to be way less than $200 and have some type of track record proving it won't break. Oil the joints!

DocJD likes this.
  8. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
    Thats a good question. Im not sure of the price of the millet version. I guess i was just talking in terms of quality of construction

NG VI likes this.
  9. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    OP edited by mod. My comment was no longer relevant and now being edited.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  10. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    I've heard they're going to use different blade shapes for upcoming models. As I am not a karambit fan, I hope they come out with a more utilitarian blade. A wharnie would be nice. I'd love to play with the mechanism.

Lapedog likes this.
  11. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005
    This did not stop me from Kickstarting it! :D

kickert and Lapedog like this.
  12. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    That’s what I’m waiting for. I hope they make good on their comment about doing other blade shapes. I hope by the time they release these pther versions they have any bugs worked out.

The other thing I am curious about is how bulky this thing is going to be in pocket when it’s folded up. I also wonder about the weight.

Does anyone know if this thing has some sort of lock that keeps it in the open position? Or is gripping it the only thing that keeps it from folding back up.

W. Anderson and Bad Ninja like this.
  13. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    I'm wondering how bulky it is to, as that's a huge handle for the size of the blade imo. But I did see a blade HQ vid on this and it does have a lock.

14. jeffsenpai

jeffsenpai Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    For some reason, I really wanted this CRKT version.

But the price is just a bit too high for a CRKT production version. I told myself when I saw that CRKT was releasing a version, that $120 was my limit. So, $200 is too much.

NG VI and W. Anderson like this.
  15. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005

It's super interesting that retail and MSRP are identical on this one.

W. Anderson likes this.
  16. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    The biggest online retailer in the world is currently offering it for a little over 20% off MSRP.

Don't know if this is a temp or permanent markdown. Only problem is that they're charging sales tax on it but the total is still 15% below MSRP for me. Says it will ship between Feb 14 - Mar 18 but, according to other sources, the knife is supposed to be available in a week around Jan 18th. Hopefully, delivery will be much earlier than stated and that they are just using these dates to be safe.

Don't like to pre-order stuff but this price is too good to pass up. At least w/this company, I'm sure that I can get an immediate refund w/o any trouble, if I find it elsewhere quicker for less, and I can return it no questions asked if I don't like it. Ordering 1 now.

Update: Estimated delivery time changed to w/in 2-4 weeks between Jan 30-Feb 14. So rumors of anticipated delivery time on or about Jan 18th appear to be correct.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  17. SIG96

SIG96 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 8, 2018
    I'll wait for reviews. Seems cool enough. I'm waiting for CRKT to start raking in cash by providing their more popular models in better materials while still making them affordable.

18. Tommy-Chi

Tommy-Chi

May 25, 2017
    I like this design. I was in on the initial Kickstarter but withdrew b/c the price seemed steep. I feel that may have been a mistake.

I will buy the CRKT version, but with Chinese D2 it may cut poorly.

19. Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja

Dec 19, 2018
    Interesting design, but out of my league for that type of knife.
    Looks like a cool novelty, and the folding design is definitely cool, but that's custom blade money.

W. Anderson likes this.
  20. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    I’m not to worried about the bulk

I don’t pocket carry

I will have a horizontal belt sheath made for it like this possibly

This is a Yojimbo trainer in one

[​IMG]

I also like the fact that the pocket clip lies flat until you need or want to use it

all in all it seems to be a simple well thought out design ..... we shall see

W. Anderson, Lapedog and Twindog like this.