I HATE KARAMBITS BUT.... CRKT PROVOKE CASWELL DESIGN NEW VIDEO PG 10

Ok, I got my CRKT Provoke today and I'm glad that I "only" had to pay $100 for it and that I didn't buy 2 more at that price as I could have.

attachment.php

I've only had it in my hands for less than an hour, so these are all just initial impressions but I think that they will be lasting opinions.

First, the good. The method of deployment is really COOL! Just like the way you can open the blade by pressing on the lever w/your thumb. Nothing better than that in terms of ease/simplicity but is it better than a properly drawn waved karambit, like the P'Kal or Karahawk? I think not.

Warning, the rest of my comments will not be positive.

Second, the knife is too heavy and bulky to be used as effectively as a lighter and more compact karambit. This should have been obvious at the outset but w/o actually handling the knife, I couldn't make that assessment.

The main problem w/the bulk of the knife for me is that the ring is too thick and when I grasp the knife tightly in my hand w/my index finger inserted in the ring, the edge of the ring (which is also too large for me) rubs painfully against the top and inside of the knuckle my index finger as well as the inside my middle finger which makes simply holding the knife, as well as flipping it to initiate certain combat moves, very uncomfortable.

Wearing a glove (which the oversized ring opening facilitates) would help but I do not often wear gloves.

Third, the clip is very difficult to use. In order to attach the clip to your pocket, you have to lift it up but the clip lies so closely against the frame that it requires a conscious effort to do this; you cannot just slip the knife in the pocket under the clip w/o thinking about it. I find it simpler to just slip the entire knife in my pocket which is large enough to hold both a wallet and the knife flat inside it but those w/smaller pockets will have problems doing this. So, a belt holster for this knife would be a very useful accessory.

Fourth, there is no way to close this knife w/o using 2 hands. I am not a big "one hand" knife guy, so it really doesn't bother me but, for those of you who are, there's is no way to "easily" close this knife w/one hand. There is a way to do it as explained below but it is awkward and I think you need long fingers to be able to do it well. However, for those, like me who don't mind closing a knife w/2 hands, the process is (like the clip) too fiddly and requires too much thought. It's simpler and safer to just close the blade w/2 hands.

I'm a pretty mechanically minded guy but it took me a few minutes to figure out how to close the knife. There's a locking lever located just below the ring that you have to move left which then releases the mechanism allowing you to close the knife. However, in order to do that you have to pull the blade assembly towards you but the initial impulse (at least is was for me) is to go in the opposite direction and to try to close it like a normal side opening knife by pushing the blade to the right.

It's obvious upon reflection that you can't do that but I nonetheless stupidly spent several minutes trying to figure out why the knife "wouldn't" close in that way. I won't be surprised if others "complain" about this "defect" when they finally get their knives but can't figure out how to close them. LOL!

I'll add further comments if any occur to me.

Needless to say, I will not be carrying the Provoke very often if at all. It's an interesting knife and I'm going to keep it but compared w/my Bastinelli/Marcaida Pika (that I am currently carrying) it's like comparing a Porsche w/a bloated and overloaded Suburban. Just ain't no comparison.

Last edited:
First, the good. The method of deployment is really COOL! Just like the way you can open the blade by pressing on the lever w/your thumb. Nothing better than that in terms of ease/simplicity but is it better than a properly drawn waved karambit, like the P'Kal or Karahawk? I think not.

With a bit of practice you can get it to open in one move when pulling it out of your pocket. Pull it up and to the rear and the upper pivot where you otherwise would push with your thumb will catch on the corner of your pocket. Done right it will pop the knife right open.

Second, the knife is too heavy and bulky to be used as effectively as a lighter and more compact karambit. This should have been obvious at the outset but w/o actually handling the knife, I couldn't make that assessment.
Probably more of a personal preference but if the blade on yours is actually nearly 1/4" thick as advertised I can see that being a problem.

the clip is very difficult to use. In order to attach the clip to your pocket, you have to lift it up but the clip lies so closely against the frame that it requires a conscious effort to do this; you cannot just slip the knife in the pocket under the clip w/o thinking about it. I find it simpler to just slip the entire knife in my pocket which is large enough to hold both a wallet and the knife flat inside it but those w/smaller pockets will have problems doing this. So, a belt holster for this knife would be a very useful.

The clip should lift out by just pressing on the top of the ring. I don't find any problem with mine. Takes a bit of practice but it works fine. As said earlier, that kydex sheath works really well too....

there is no way to close this knife w/o using 2 hands. I am not a big "one hand" knife guy, so it really doesn't bother me but, for those of you who are, there's is NO WAY to close this knife w/one hand.

Yes there is. With the knife vertical in your hand blade up and ring positioned around the middle joint of the fore finger, slide your middle finger up so its on the spine right behind where the lock bar is. Hold the knife tight and push the bar with your thumb. It should release if you have done it right. Once it releases just give the knife a shake in the right direction and the mechanism will start to close, pull it fully closed with your thumb.
If you can't get that to work, hold the knife blade up, edge towards you with your first two fingers wrapped around the ring. You should be able to push the lock bar in enough with your thumb to release it. Once released, flick the knife outwards and the knife should close enough so that you can reach up and pull it the rest of the way closed with your thumb.

I'm a pretty mechanically minded guy but it took me a few minutes to figure out how to close the knife. There's a locking lever located just below the ring that you have to move left which then releases the mechanism allowing you to close the knife. However, in order to do that you have to pull the blade towards you but the initial impulse (at least is was for me) is to go in the opposite direction and to close it like a normal side opening knife. Can't do that and I spent several minutes trying to figure out why the knife "wouldn't" close. I won't be surprised if others "complain" about this "defect" when they finally get their knives but can't figure out how to close them. LOL!

Remember, this is not really a "folding" knife. The mechanism works more like one of those old Stanley razor utility knives with the slider on top. Push it one way to extend the blade, the other way to retract....

Last edited:
Except for Glock19C_Gunner who got his a few weeks ago and posted pictures. Post #56 I believe

Like I said, "may have" but I've noted that you always like to try to poke holes in what I have to say. Gothcha! ;)

However, I do not think anyone has previously commented extensively pro/con on the knife yet. So, that's why I did.

As Arathol notes there are ways to "work around" some of the things that I've mentioned but the fact that you have to do that ("work around" them) is a problem in itself. It's not a "bad" knife but, as a karambit IMO it frankly "s*cks" and, for general EDC use, you can buy and carry a much cheaper, more compact and simpler knife instead.

For me, I'll keep it simply as a curiosity and conversation piece but there are many other knives that I will carry/use instead.

Last edited:
The clip should lift [up] by just pressing on the top of the ring. I don't find any problem with mine. Takes a bit of practice but it works fine. As said earlier, that kydex sheath works really well too....

The lever action on the clip wasn't obvious to me but when I push the top of the clip, it barely lifts the bottom of the clip but it is enough to slip it over the edge of my pocket if I'm looking while doing it. If I don't look, the knife will not automatically slip into my pocket. I'm guessing I could get better at doing it w/o looking w/time and practice but IMO I shouldn't "have" to do that.

A kydex belt sheath would be a BIG improvement but apparently the only way to get one right now is to buy a clone that comes w/one. I'll be looking to buy one if/one (w/o buying a clone to get one) if they are later made/sold in the aftermarket.

Yes there is [a way to open/close the Provoke one-handed].

[1] With the knife vertical in your hand blade up and ring positioned around the middle joint of the fore finger, slide your middle finger up so its on the spine right behind where the lock bar is. Hold the knife tight and push the bar with your thumb. It should release if you have done it right. Once it releases just give the knife a shake in the right direction and the mechanism will start to close, pull it fully closed with your thumb.

[2] If you can't get that to work, hold the knife blade up, edge towards you with your first two fingers wrapped around the ring. You should be able to push the lock bar in enough with your thumb to release it. Once released, flick the knife outwards and the knife should close enough so that you can reach up and pull it the rest of the way closed with your thumb.

Tried both of the methods suggested.

I could do #1 but it was very awkward. Longer fingers would help but mine are short. It's easier to just use 2 hands.

#2 can't be done if you've got your index finger in the ring and holding the knife as it should be held to use as a karambit.

You have to remove your finger from the ring to place the knife in your palm so that you can release the lever to close the knife one handed. If you have to remove your finger from the ring to begin with, you might as well just use 2 hands to close it which is safer and easier to do, which is why I generally close all of my folders w/2 hands anyway.

Last edited:
Like I said, "may have" but I've noted that you always like to try to poke holes in what I have to say. Gothcha! ;)

However, I do not think anyone has previously commented extensively pro/con on the knife yet. So, that's why I did.

As Arathol notes there are ways to "work around" the things that I mentioned but the fact that you have to do that ("work around" them) is a problem in itself. It's not a "bad" knife but, as a karambit IMO it frankly "s*cks" and, for general EDC use, you can buy and carry a much cheaper and simpler knife instead.

For me, I'll keep it simply as a curiosity and conversation piece but there are many other knives that I will carry/use instead.
Can you bend the pocket clip out more?

CRKT making a gadget..not going to turn out well in the long run. They have cool designs but materials and execution seem to be lacking in all but a few models. I like the Drifter, but I have a handful of other models that never get carried, they sit in the drawer.

Can you bend the pocket clip out more?
Actually what might happen;) is the top 1/4 of the ring on the clip may take a bit of a "set" outward once you start keeping it clipped to your pocket. Its not enough so you would really notice but once it does its a lot easier to use.

Why not? If it makes it more functional I don't see the harm in it.

I do not like to make any change in any of my knives or guns that are irreversible.

Bending the clip up would be such a change that would also change the look of the knife such that the clip will not longer sit flat against the frame. So, I'm not doing it.

Wish mine would come :)

Glad you guys are getting them and I’m happy to see comments

Story time - Pull up a chair.

I love the Provoke so much I picked up a 2nd one.

Upon receiving it, I noticed that it didn't open as "snappy" as my other one. It was perfectly fine. Just didn't fire as hard as my other one.

So I emailed CRKT and explained that my 2nd one wasn't as snappy with deployment as my first one was.

Had Javier (customer service supervisor) reach out to me, and explain to me the the inner workings of the Provoke - it's not spring assisted (which I knew) however there is an adjustable spring in a port that's exposed when you take the pocket clip off. That spring is actually the detent for the knife.

He explained to me that these are tuned at the factory and they may vary.

He offered for me to send the knife back so they could take a look.....now, my 2nd Provoke had no issues except for me questioning the nature of the slightly weaker "snap" when opening....but I figured I'd try out CRKTs customer service...."for science", and report it here.

I told him "sure I'll send it in". He then emailed me a prepaid label to send it in to take a look at it. I sent it out same day as I got the label.

A few days later I get an email from Javier - as suspected, they examined the knife, and it was in-spec, however he wanted me absolutely happy, so to my surprise he tells me that he (the customer service supervisor) and the Quality control supervisor went thru 6 Provokes to find me one that fired the hardest, and that was absolutely perfect in every way.

There was a USPS tracking number in the email.

A few days later I get my handpicked Provoke #2 and damn if it didn't fire HARDER than Provoke #1. Fit and finish as perfect as Provoke #1.

So TL;DR - I emailed with a question about the 2nd Provoke I bought - they paid to have me send it in so they could look at it.

Nothing was wrong with the one I sent in, but they wanted me happy, so they took the time to handpick one for me and sent it to me.....when in reality they didn't have to do anything at all except send it back.

Overall the experience was superb and emails were answered in a timely manner, and they wanted me happy. CRKT was pleasant to deal with and due to the nice fit and finish on my two Provokes and their Customer service, I bought a Seismic, which i got the other day has the same amazing level of fit and finish, and is a huge, heavy and fun TANK of a knife!

Maybe CRKT is turning their build quality and such around?

Can you condense his 21 minutes of rambling into a few sentences?

"Excellent fit and finish"
"CRKT executed this perfectly"
"Not my cup of tea, but innovative and excellently built by CRKT"
"Joe Casewell is now on my radar for other designs"

I expected Nick to thrash it, but he was very fair, and while he admitted it wasn't his style of knife, he had great things to say about the quality and execution of the Provoke.

"Excellent fit and finish"
"CRKT executed this perfectly"
"Not my cup of tea, but innovative and excellently built by CRKT"
"Joe Casewell is now on my radar for other designs"

I expected Nick to thrash it, but he was very fair, and while he admitted it wasn't his style of knife, he had great things to say about the quality and execution of the Provoke.
Thanks, that's very helpful!

I've had mine a couple of weeks and I like it myself
it takes a little practice but I like it better every time I work the cool mechanism of the knife and it can easily be closed one handed

Back