I HATE KARAMBITS BUT.... CRKT PROVOKE CASWELL DESIGN NEW VIDEO PG 10

Even if the lock disengages accidentally or fails, it'll just close. And since it closes without the edge crossing your hand, you have essentially zero risk of injury.

Put force on it the other way, and you're basically going to need to shear the fasteners to break it.

I think that even if the lock were to fail gripping the knife prevents it from closing.

Looks nice, but I struggle to find any utility in a karambit. Just seems like it would do most tasks, but in a awkward lousy way. Perhaps I'm missing something. Do people use these or collect them?

Looks nice, but I struggle to find any utility in a karambit. Just seems like it would do most tasks, but in a awkward lousy way. Perhaps I'm missing something. Do people use these or collect them?

Do you understand that a karambit is designed as a SD knife and that, while you should know HOW to use one, the object is to NEVER actually need to do so?

As for HOW to use one, here's a brief video of Doug Marcaida demonstrating just that:

As Doug says on Forging Fire, "It will kee-l!"

Also, FWIW, please note that I personally carry a knife mainly for SD purposes and any other use is merely incidental to that purpose. I am carrying Doug's Pika karambit right now as I usually do when I'm also carrying a non-SD suitable folder. So, for me, all a karambit needs to do is cut flesh but it seems like the Provoke was designed to be used for a few more PC purposes other than that. LOL! ;)

9o6h5jj8n4o11.jpg

Last edited:
Do you understand that a karambit is designed as a SD knife and that, while you should know HOW to use one, the object is to NEVER actually need to do so?

As for HOW to use one, here's a brief video of Doug Marcaida demonstrating just that:

As Doug says on Forging Fire, "It will kee-l!"

Also, FWIW, please note that I personally carry a knife mainly for SD purposes and any other use is merely incidental to that purpose. I am carrying Doug's Pika karambit right now as I usually do when I'm also carrying a non-SD suitable folder. So, for me, all a karambit needs to do is cut flesh but it seems like the Provoke was designed to be used for a few more PC purposes other than that. LOL! ;)

9o6h5jj8n4o11.jpg
I get the feeling I insulted you. That wasn't my intent and apologize if I did. I guess I just don't see knives as self defense weapons. They work, but would be a last resort imo. Very few people can do what that man does, even fewer under extreme stress (being attacked). One thing I noticed when I was overseas is 9/10 people freeze up momentarily the first time. I'll admit I was one of em. That imo makes a knife a poor defense weapon unless your trained and tested. But different strokes for different folks. They are cool in my book, and if you're confident in your ability I'm sure they're deadly.

I get the feeling I insulted you. That wasn't my intent and apologize if I did.

I don't know why you think that.

I did not feel insulted in any way by what you said. I just thought you (like others) might not really understand what karambits are actually designed to do and my response was simply an effort in this regard.

I am no martial arts expert by any means but you really don't need to be when you use a karambit. I am however a retired LEO and am trained in "defensive tactics" and am very comfortable w/the use of weapons for their intended purpose. It would not bother me to shoot and stab anyone in self-defense and would not "freeze" (but would act) when confronted because of my training.

In my experience, offense is always the best defense but I don't go looking for trouble. I just want to be prepared for it.

I don't know why you think that.

I did not feel insulted in any way by what you said. I just thought you (like others) might not really understand what karambits are actually designed to do and my response was simply an effort in this regard.

I am no martial arts expert by any means but you really don't need to be when you use a karambit. I am however a retired LEO and am trained in "defensive tactics" and am very comfortable w/the use of weapons for their intended purpose. It would not bother me to shoot and stab anyone in self-defense and would not "freeze" (but would act) when confronted because of my training.

In my experience, offense is always the best defense but I don't go looking for trouble. I just want to be prepared for it.

Guess I just got the wrong vibe off your post. Thanks for your law enforcement service.

I had a reminder tagged for this on Massdrop but it looks like it sold out long before the cut off time! Missed out.

I tagged the request so I'll have to see what the next run lists at. This looks like a hit out of the park knife.

The price for the Provoke on the site that I use was just reduced to $149.18; about 25% off MSRP. Just canceled my prior order and reordered it at the lower price.

I still think the best price was the $140 shipped with no tax. Should be arriving this week.

The price for the Provoke on the site that I use was just reduced to $149.18; about 25% off MSRP. Just canceled my prior order and reordered it at the lower price.
Best I’ve found is 169 minus 15 bucks with a coupon. I wish I could drop a few more bucks but at this point I’m going to bite me thinks

I still think the best price was the $140 shipped with no tax. Should be arriving this week.

Good deal for members but not for non-members like me. I am going to join at some point to sell a few knives but not yet.

If I were to join to participate in the group buy for this knife at $140 (even if that were still possible), I'd have to pay $30 more for a Gold membership and the knife would then cost me $170. So, I'm happy to just pay $149.18 plus tax for it and I think that any other "non-member" would as well.

It is ONLY for the benefit of those "non-members" that I am updating the changes in the available price for this knife.

Good deal for members but not for non-members like me. I am going to join at some point to sell a few knives but not yet.

If I were to join to participate in the group buy for this knife at $140 (even if that were still possible), I'd have to pay $30 more for a Gold membership and the knife would then cost me $170. So, I'm happy to just pay $149.18 plus tax for it and I think that any other "non-member" would as well.

It is ONLY for the benefit of those "non-members" that I am updating the changes in the available price for this knife.
I haven’t found it that cheap.

That price was on Massdrop and it doesn't cost anything to join up there.

I think you are confused. That price was for massdrop and there is no membership fee whatsoever. You just register. And you can't sell knives there. The fees for here, bladeforums, will allow you to sell knives.

I think you are confused. That price was for massdrop and there is no membership fee whatsoever. You just register. And you can't sell knives there. The fees for here, bladeforums, will allow you to sell knives.

Cool!

Thought it was mentioned as a members only group buy b4. Obviously not but I'll stick w/what I've got. However, anyone else interested, who hasn't ordered one yet, should go for it, if it's still available.

Thanks for the clarification!

BTW, for the benefit of others, the price on the site I'm buying from just shot up to $187 plus $11.41 shipping from a 3rd party vendor, which is essentially the same as MSRP. The best prices there are only offered by the site as the vendor itself. Not sure why the price keeps changing and why it's offered by the site at varying prices. If you're looking to buy there, the best bet is to just keep checking in to see what the current price is.

Update: Just looked out of curiosity and the massdrop deal on the Provoke ended. There were only 63 sold during the drop and 711 requests for another w/a lot of very unhappy people posting comments that the drop was too short. So, the $140 offer is long gone - w/o very few people benefiting from it - and the best retail price that I've been able to find yet is the $149.18 which is also gone as well.

Last edited:
FYI, there's already a Provoke up for auction on EB; starting bid $175. Guy says he only had it for 2 days before listing it for sale. Anyone here receive one yet?

-----------------------------------------------

Also, did you guys know that there are already clones of the Morphing Karabmit for sale on EB too? Prices start as low as $15 up to $80. Search using "karambit m390" or "mechanical karambit" to find them.

However, one guy is apparently auctioning one of the higher priced clones off; current high bid $168.05 w/2 days left in the auction. Bidders apparently don't realize that they are bidding on something they can buy for 1/2 the price. Use "mechanical karambit m390" to find it.

The only thing "good" about it (and I'm not saying it's a "good thing" to buy a clone) is the kydex sheath that comes w/it which would be a nice thing to have, even though the Provke (and clone) already has a clip.

Caveat emptor.

Those clones have been up for some time now, a few weeks at least. Most seem like cheap junk, but there is one that appears to be an exact copy of the CRKT knife. I actually ordered one a month ago or so ago, I've had it in hand for about 3 weeks. You got to wonder how the clones were out before the real thing....When asked the seller sort of hinted that they were made in the same place in Yangjiang City as the CRKT knife. Go figure.
The multi position kydex sheath is pretty slick though.

FYI, there's already a Provoke up for auction on EB; starting bid $175. Guy says he only had it for 2 days before listing it for sale. Anyone here receive one yet?

-----------------------------------------------

Also, did you guys know that there are already clones of the Morphing Karabmit for sale on EB too? Prices start as low as $15 up to $80. Search using "karambit m390" or "mechanical karambit" to find them.

However, one guy is apparently auctioning one of the higher priced clones off; current high bid $168.05 w/2 days left in the auction. Bidders apparently don't realize that they are bidding on something they can buy for 1/2 the price. Use "mechanical karambit m390" to find it.

The only thing "good" about it (and I'm not saying it's a "good thing" to buy a clone) is the kydex sheath that comes w/it which would be a nice thing to have, even though the Provke (and clone) already has a clip.

Caveat emptor.
Optics planet has em 169. Seen some nice clones on DHgate for 55. Crappy ones for $5 and up. I wouldn’t do the clones. that’s a bad ass opening mechanism and I feel he should make his money.

Back