I think the ZT 0888 Max is about to ship - the 0454 is also about to ship

I wouldn't be opposed if they re-released batches of these limited knives every few years. After all, they've made expenditures on the R&D/tooling/setup to make these, so re-releases would yield further benefit from those costs and satisfy customers who are after them.

The problem is, if you lose money on every knife - even in the first "planned" run - you can't make it up in volume. I am not assuming this is the case; just a guess from the info I gather.

My guess is that ZT will put out a "0880" - a smaller version, lower grade materials, and less machining... probably a standard version with Elmax, then a carbon fiber version with M390. It would be cool if they used S90V or S110V instead of Elmax.

I wouldn't be opposed if they re-released batches of these limited knives every few years. After all, they've made expenditures on the R&D/tooling/setup to make these, so re-releases would yield further benefit from those costs and satisfy customers who are after them.

Why go backwards and produce old stuff with your small limited windows when you can make new stuff?

Also, while some people would be happy, there would be just as many people screaming about how the limited edition knives don't hold their value because people can just wait a few years to get one new.

Just like the Tilt, Volt, etc... these LE's more than likely won't ever be produced again. Except by the counterfeiters!

The problem is, if you lose money on every knife - even in the first "planned" run - you can't make it up in volume. I am not assuming this is the case; just a guess from the info I gather.

My guess is that ZT will put out a "0880" - a smaller version, lower grade materials, and less machining... probably a standard version with Elmax, then a carbon fiber version with M390. It would be cool if they used S90V or S110V instead of Elmax.
I highly doubt they have a negative contribution margin (individual sales price minus unit variable costs) on each knife. In the manufacturing industry, no project with that kind of budgeted performance will ever get the OK, even if you have excess manufacturing capacity.

Why go backwards and produce old stuff with your small limited windows when you can make new stuff?

Also, while some people would be happy, there would be just as many people screaming about how the limited edition knives don't hold their value because people can just wait a few years to get one new.

Emerson Knives does that. Maybe it'd be a great idea to tell them never to make classics like the Persian's or CQC-12's again.

However, there is a benefit to producing old stuff again - they gain experience and can produce it more efficiently (learning curve analysis). Back then people were complaining how they were missing their anticipated release dates for new LE knives - a big part of that is simply due to the fact that it's their first time putting it together and having to deal with QA and any manufacturing bottlenecks/obstacles that didn't manifest during the prototype stage.

They can always change things up - for example, Microtech's reintroduction of the Tachyon had quite a few different features from the original.

The people who flip LE knives for profit should be of least concern.

I won't be getting a 0888MAX! Called my dealer. They got 5 that were spoken for. I was 6th on list. Well no MAX but actually M 390 version. They are black he said! Bummed! :(

Last edited:
This is going to be an interesting thread. If my memory is correct the preorders were back when the 0560 was going to drop.

My guess is that all of them are already spoken for. If you go to ZT's website and search for "0888" a press release comes up that has all the dealers than won the lottery for this knife way back in Jan 2013 I believe. After going to most of the websites I still could not find them listed.

Most are spoken for but some of those sites didn't take pre-orders. They'll put them up when in hand. The problem is only a few went to each place so they'll be gone in seconds! Have to be in the right place at the right time! Might try to get one off that auction site? $$$$ Maybe I'll eat nothing but bologna sandwiches for a month?

With the recent drop of the 0801CF, and now the 0888 max/M390s hitting shelves, I hope the 0454 is coming soon.

Last edited:

The market proven answer is small changes to the limited editions and/or updates over time. You can buy a PM2 for under $130 but the CF M390 PM2s have not lost their value in the least. The only people feeling slighted would be flippers, a true collector knows the original limited models are still going to hold their value with enthusiasts.

*IF* a limited project design can become huge main seller, it would seem foolish not to pursue it. My guess is most of them wouldn't make that cut without the limited nature/secondary market demand/hype to spur sales for those very limited numbers. Make only 250 of them, a year and a half after a dealer lottery, and they are the latest and greatest, make 25,000 of them and they are going to sit on shelves gathering dust. Not a dig against ZT just the reality of the current market.

Now I have to go make some popcorn and wait for the secondary market suckers to get back from taking out their second mortgage and open their wallets and watch the show.

Back