I'd Buy a Knife Over a Gun

jideta

Gold Member
I used like to have guns but shooting at paper got tired pretty quick. Stopped going to the range and sold off my handguns.
I got a .22 that I shoot with iron sights and that's fun.
Then I got into trap.
Game over.
I hate to admit it, but I bought a high end trap gun and spent a ridiculous amount of cash but trap is one of the few things I look forwards to now.
I thought I was over with knives having sold off my folders, but it seems now I got into customizing what I got.
Max on knives is like $600.
You can barely get a decent trap gun for $1000.
Sort of saving up for either one.
No more buying just to buy.

3fifty7

Gold Member
For years I was a big firearm enthusiast (still am, always will be) while carrying and using a knife daily. A few years back I had nearly all of the practical firearms on my list and became more interested in better knives as well as making a few of my own. So my funds soon moved away from firearms to blades. After going through a pile of very good production folders and forging a small pile of fixed blades I’m pretty content with what I currently own. Sadly not much appeals to me anymore. With the exception of a couple fixed blades out there that I’ll own one day, but I’m not in too big of a hurry for those at the moment.
I feel as if I’m being drawn back towards firearms, may have to scratch an itch soon.

Mistman68

Gold Member
I've sold guns to buy knives and traded guns for knives. Cost is relatively the same, nice 1911 ~ $1k, decent scoped long gun ~ $800 but that's a generalization seeing customs on both ends will run multiple $k. I've spent way more on individual guns than I probably ever will on knives. Last year I built a long range 6mm SLR which was just under $5k and have custom 1911's that run about the same. I also have plenty of 'average' guns as I've been 'collecting' since my teens. They come and go but I probably never have under 30 at anytime. I also reload and shoot at my own range on my property, I actually use my guns frequently. There's a point when anything that just sits around too long becomes fair game for moving on depending on my whims.

At this moment in time I'm more 'into' knives though I did shoot today, I spent more time touching up edges and stopping a couple I used during deer season getting them ready for elk season. But as a knife guy I don't really know exactly which blades I'll be carrying in a couple weeks when season starts. I hunt out of my house so can change up daily if I want. I packed 6 for my week long deer hunting vacation, ended up only using 2 :).

But to comment on the original post yeah, I'd buy a knife over a gun today, maybe not next week or next month. Guns overall have more value to me, I would give up all my knives and sharpen a file if it were a choice between the 2. They also represent more to me than a knife, I will defend my right to own them vehemently. At the end of the day a knife is a tool, the kitchen is full of them. The right to own a firearm is not universal and represents a freedom rarely found in today's world.

Owen K.

Gold Member
go for knives bro, it seems that it is more useful and convinient since you have already a lot of guns. there`s a lot of knives that capable for your daily use and of course if you want to try some collection but is not too expensive choose knife! hoping that you a good decision :) have a good day
I think you miss-understand. I'm not looking for advice. Just interested in what you guys are thinking on this topic. Cheers!

Hal

For me it's easier to sell/trade knives. I can also fidget knives. If you're fidgeting firearms, you're doing it wrong. :cool:
Bingo! I have knives laying all over the place. I often stop and pick one up just to play with it. I also have guns scattered all around - but - those are "hands off" & to set any concerns at ease - there's only my wife, myself and our three big stupid dogs in the house. We never have company. If we do for some odd reason, the guns are put away.

You won't be able to own a gun soon, I'd buy the knife.
I tend to agree with that....I also think we are soon getting to the point where "cold dead hands" is going to be more than just a catch phrase. W/out getting too preachy about it - I don't want to live in a world where so much power can't be controlled by the citizens.

In the end it isn’t a choice between one or the other. I have plenty of both and buy whichever is catching my attention.

In the current political climate I am more focused on guns. Over the years I have usually spent more on knives though.

gazz98

Gold Member
I fall into that category. I rarely spend over $125 on a knife. When I see people dropping $1000 on a knife, I admittedly say to myself, "damn, I could buy a new handgun and have a few hundred leftover or build a new AR for that". I currently own four firearms : AR, 12g shotgun, and two handguns. I also have my CPL and carry when I can. I'd like to own more firearms.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Unless I hit the Powerball, I will probably never own a Sebenza, Olamic, Reate, custom, semi-custom, etc knife. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable carrying a $500+ knife. It just isn't worth it to me. I'm totally content with an Endura or CS Ultimate Hunter.

For those that want to spend their $$ on an expensive knife. Go right ahead. Variety is the spice of life and everyone needs to find out what works for them.

Owen K.

Gold Member
I fall into that category. I rarely spend over $125 on a knife. When I see people dropping $1000 on a knife, I admittedly say to myself, "damn, I could buy a new handgun and have a few hundred leftover or build a new AR for that". I currently own four firearms : AR, 12g shotgun, and two handguns. I also have my CPL and carry when I can. I'd like to own more firearms.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Unless I hit the Powerball, I will probably never own a Sebenza, Olamic, Reate, custom, semi-custom, etc knife. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable carrying a $500+ knife. It just isn't worth it to me. I'm totally content with an Endura or CS Ultimate Hunter.

For those that want to spend their $$ on an expensive knife. Go right ahead. Variety is the spice of life and everyone needs to find out what works for them.
You look at knives like a rational human being unlike many of us.:D For you, would you spend around $200 on a blade if you had cash to throw around? or would you save it for a handgun, or buy two $100 knives? Cheers!

gamma_nyc

Gold Member
They go together like peanut butter and jelly. I would never spend $3500 on a blade, but I would possibly for a nice 2011 or 1911! Especially now because I need to replace all the guns I lost in that darn boating accident!

Owen K.

Gold Member
They go together like peanut butter and jelly. I would never spend $3500 on a blade, but I would possibly for a nice 2011 or 1911! Especially now because I need to replace all the guns I lost in that darn boating accident!
HAHA! :D I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat.

mwhich50

Gold Member
Basic Member
I used to love guns, but cleaning them got old. I have consolidated down to a couple of pistols, one shotgun, and one rifle.
I don't mind cleaning knives for some reason.