I'd Buy a Knife Over a Gun

I have all the guns I think I need. But with the apparent political changes forthcoming, that perception could change. I generally have been shooting 22's these days because I like them and most are bolt actions (aka turn bolt). It is also true that I get much more use out of a knife than I do with just about any firearm unless you consider having a gun on your person "using it". But how many does it take for that function? Knives are usually less expensive than the better guns. So, there is that consideration.

That will never happen we the people won't let it

Id sure like to think so!
Id love to say more but Id be treading on thin ice if I did. With a gold membership you can gain entry into the political arena section of the forum or (PA). Some cool cats in there, and topics like gun control can be discussed among other things that are against the rules out here in the general sec.

If I were to come in to X amount of money, I would probably buy a gun.
Partly because I feel like you could get all the knife you need for half the money of a decent gun, partly because if I were to ever get a gun, I would make sure it was a nice one.

I buy what I like. If the knife is expensive, I just make sure it's one I really want. I can see the practicality in owning more knives than guns as well. I have enough guns for sporting, defense and concealed carry. Kind of set. Do I need 20, 30, 40 guns? Not really. Hell, I can't even find ammo for decent prices these days and Biden just became president.....it's only going to become worse. Would be like buying a new car if gas were either prohibitively expensive or unavailable. The only guns I've bought in past years were for concealed carry as size and capacity improved with guns like the P365 and Glock 48. I can't shoot recreationally anymore. I can't even find ammo half the time and I can't get ammo shipped to my state anymore.

I buy what I like. If the knife is expensive, I just make sure it's one I really want. I can see the practicality in owning more knives than guns as well. I have enough guns for sporting, defense and concealed carry. Kind of set. Do I need 20, 30, 40 guns? Not really. Hell, I can't even find ammo for decent prices these days and Biden just became president.....it's only going to become worse. Would be like buying a new car if gas were either prohibitively expensive or unavailable. The only guns I've bought in past years were for concealed carry as size and capacity improved with guns like the P365 and Glock 48. I can't shoot recreationally anymore. I can't even find ammo half the time and I can't get ammo shipped to my state anymore.

It’s a sad state of affairs when our 2nd amendment rights are being trampled. We need to band together to represent our interests and our rights!!!

I used like to have guns but shooting at paper got tired pretty quick. Stopped going to the range and sold off my handguns.
I got a .22 that I shoot with iron sights and that's fun.
Then I got into trap.
Game over.
I hate to admit it, but I bought a high end trap gun and spent a ridiculous amount of cash but trap is one of the few things I look forwards to now.
I thought I was over with knives having sold off my folders, but it seems now I got into customizing what I got.
Max on knives is like $600.
You can barely get a decent trap gun for $1000.
Sort of saving up for either one.
No more buying just to buy.

Reads like you wrote my biography!
(Although I've kept most of my handguns)

Reads like you wrote my biography!
(Although I've kept most of my handguns)
I'm slowly selling some of my handguns off. Not in any hurry to do it. I have plenty to shoot if I choose to. Knives..... well, they are a much more classic tool. I keep a pretty good stash of ammunition, but I do't shoot every week or even every month sometimes. So, for now I have "enough".

Sorry, but above $300, I’m buying the gun. I’m not a collector of either. Guns though, are more of a hobby, while knifes are more tools to me.

Why $300? Well, that’s about the lowest you can go for a good, used firearm, or starting to build an AR. Below that, and I’ll consider a $100-$150 knife and spend the rest on other gear I want or need.

Money no object? Exceedingly wealthy? Then sure, I’d consider spending $300-1000 on a knife. But that’s just not the reality I live in. Now, change the question to watches vs. firearms, and the decision gets really tough!

That will never happen we the people won't let it

Don’t fool yourself. Without getting into politics, I’ll just say that I don’t trust the common American, more engrossed with reality TV and their Twitter feed, to look after our Constitutional rights. They’ll gladly take all the freebies politicians promise, while our freedoms are slowly, methodically chipped away.

ummm ... if I need a knife ... I'll buy a knife ... if I need a gun I'll buy a gun. A knife can't do what a gun can and vice versa the two are totally independent of one another for me.

I have enough guns, but more ammo is always good. Very hard to get it here in prices that aren’t stupid high.

Example: Remington Core-lokt in .270 is $80+ for a box of 20.

Barf.

7.62x39 used to be $20 a box, now it’s up to $50 and that’s for steel case corrosive junk.

Gag.

I can still buy good knives and not worry about illegal mag sizes, restrictions on shipping, variable Ammo rates and availability. Month long wait for a single handgun with neutered mags, and only one per permit, and only good for 30 days. Long gun permit only lasts a year. Full background checks and the police chief has to sign off. No concealed carry options here either. It sucks.

At least with knives (so far) I can still purchase and get most offerings with the exception of Bali’s and OTF.

I don’t particularly have any desire to purchase knives over $150. I feel guilty using them and don’t value the gains of quality over that price point at this stage of my life.

Hawaii? Sounds familiar. I loved living there but it was chafing.

It’s a sad state of affairs when our 2nd amendment rights are being trampled. We need to band together to represent our interests and our rights!!!

It's not a 2nd amendment right. It's a natural human right. The 2nd amendment to the US Constitution protects that natural human right from infringement. I get what you're saying and agree but I think it's important to speak plainly and accurately about this right. The government didn't grant us this right and it's their function to protect it.

I've spent a lot on firearms and a lot of knives. I might sell some of my knives but have no intent to sell any firearms. I don't remember ever choosing one over the other directly because they fit different roles in my kit and life. I'm definitely a sub-$1000 knife guy but no such restriction has been met for firearms. I'd sure like to try one of those Terzuola knives out, though.

I'm a gun guy. Whole life have been. I do not have anywhere enough guns. I have the bare minimum.

I still buy knives that are as much as or more than any single gun I have.

I buy mostly custom knives, fixed and slipjoints, so the prices are right there with most factory guns. I love guns too and have many but my knife addiction takes the lead.

I can buy a custom ordered knife made by a person in their shop solely by them, or I can buy a gun made in a big factory somewhere that looks just like tens of thousands of others...for me the knives are much more individual and the skill set required is pretty amazing to make a true quality one.

To get a custom handmade gun, I’d be spending $10k plus.

I've been debating this for the last year. I've always liked knives. I have always liked guns. I decided early this year that I was bored with a few of the guns that I have and decided to sell them off to fund other guns. I find I got bored with that too.

I have sold off the last few guns that I acquired and am going back to playing with knives. As a tool, I get far more use and joy out of knives. I find putting holes in paper rather boring!

I sold a gun last Thursday night and took that money and bought 6 knives off of the the trade blanket yesterday. They will bring me way more joy!

Knives are cool but my heart is definitely with guns. And the way things are now, my gun "collection" has turned into a "portfolio", lol.

I'd own more guns if I could go a website and buy what I wanted without any restrictions or hoops to jump through. I haven't bought any ammo since it became illegal for mail order.

Back