1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

I'd Buy a Knife Over a Gun

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Owen K., Nov 6, 2020.

1. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    I like guns, but I’m more of a knife guy myself. I rarely conceal carry a gun because it feels very awkward to me since I’m a big guy. However, I rarely leave home without a knife. I buy knives, make knives, sell knives, trade knives, use knives, and have actually gave knives away.

Owen K. likes this.
  2. Padron26

Padron26 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2015
    I have this debate more often than i would like, with a close friend who ive known for over 35years.
    He likes guns, anykind make model etc.
    but he only buys cheaper models. So that he can have a higher quantity.
    He has alot of guns. And a few knives. The guns are from various countries, and all his knives are all made from china.

i like guns and knives, my guns are all higher end USA made, my knives are all usa made with the Andre Thorburn exception which i have more than a few of. I had allot of contemplation buying a Thorburn. Cause it came from another country. im a strong believer of buying US made.
    my Dad gave me a Bmw years ago, and i let it sit outside next to my garage for over 3 years cause i wouldnt drive it.

everytime when we are around our crowd, this kind of debate arises. Cause they always ask what I have in my pockets.
    and me and him bicker over what makes sense to each of us. I do it more less to bust his which he has never caught on to.

i love it when i show him a new knife that costs me 750-2000, and he says what the hell. I couldve bought so many guns with that.

its been a couple years since ive bought a gun. But i buy knives on a regular basis. I just have more uses for a knife.
    And i use them Daily, to me they are more of a tool than anything.

Owen K. likes this.
  3. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Apples to oranges. I'm not cutting anything with guns, and not shooting anything with knives.

Owen K. likes this.
  4. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    You'll never be able to cut anything with a gun they said.... :D

[​IMG]

Apologies to those that have seen this pic four hundred times already. :eek:

jackknife, Kaizen1, Owen K. and 2 others like this.
  5. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I ventured into Walmart the other day and they had a boat load of sharpening supplies but pretty much " no " ammo . :(
    [​IMG]

6. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Can you even find ammo?

Owen K. and 91bravo like this.
  7. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Good question.

8. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I suspect it's going to get a lot worse.

Owen K., tinfoil hat timmy and Pomsbz like this.
  9. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Let me know if you need any. I can get it for WAY cheaper than you can over there.

You just gotta look in the right places and be on the right forums, and you get ammo for pre-election prices.

MolokaiRider and Owen K. like this.
  10. Smaug

Smaug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2003
    For self defense, let's not kid ourselves: a gun is king.

To me, a knife is more of a tool that, as a last resort, might serve for self defense.

Owen K. and tinfoil hat timmy like this.
  11. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Please explain the lazer and mount, thanks

Owen K. likes this.
  12. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I mean...all this, really.

Insipid Moniker and Owen K. like this.
  13. Owen K.

Owen K. Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2016
    It's for cutting foam.

14. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I have a list of gun types that I plan on getting over time, but I don't have an interest in having more than several, each for dedicated use cases. Their primary purpose for me is self protection and the protection of loved ones, so my thinking is that I need to be very familiar with the ones I have. Having too many means being less prepared with them during times when stress is high and quick decisions need to be made. I also think that way about knives that are intended for similar purposes. Of course, a knife for defensive purposes would be a last resort, but then again, so would the use of any violence, especially the kind that increases the risk of lethal force.

Knives are used for other purposes way more often and they're way more useful in the day to day. They're also generally cheaper, so it's easier (for me) to be more financially responsible with the hobby.

Owen K. likes this.
  15. Kaizen1

Jan 4, 2006
    I now need 1 more gun

Owen K. likes this.
  16. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    I perused the big online gun dealers and have come to the conclusion that we will all now buy knives over guns, since apparently there are no guns to be had.

ArchVV and Owen K. like this.
  17. Owen K.

Sep 9, 2016
    It's nuts right now. Maybe after the election it will get better. No, I'm not starting a political debate but I still have hope.

18. Kaizen1

Jan 4, 2006
    Feels like this thread needs more pictures tho

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

000Robert, Mr.sig239, 91bravo and 4 others like this.
  19. Owen K.

Sep 9, 2016
    Thank you! Is that a CMMG?

Kaizen1 likes this.
  20. Kaizen1

Jan 4, 2006
    Yup CMMG Banshee 300 MkGs

Owen K. likes this.