Idaho Made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this my first post here, and I just had to chime in. I was looking at getting a new large Sebenza fairly soon, so it looks as though I will be going the used route too.

This "idaho made" stamping or whatever looks tacky, cheap, and cheesy. It needs to go away before I will buy one of the new knives form Mr. Reeve. He has lost a new customer, especially since I also see any new one piece hollow handled knives have been dropped from his line as well. Another reason to go the used route...

I'm guessing, but there may be a state tax Incentive to stamp that blemish on the knife.

I thought I'd read, early on in this saga, that it was intended to reduce the marketability of fake knives. I may be mis-remembering...

I bought my first Sebenza in 1995 and at least (one) of Chris Reeves knives per year since. My last was a small Insingo in November 2010 without the Idaho Made stamp. Up to now all his changes/improvements have made sense to me, this one does not I don't see any value to me on this change.

Not a fan at all. Happy I bought one a while ago. Will not buy anytime soon. Hope they take it off. So I can get one

I don't really like the looks of it but I didn't really like the looks of Classic MM either. What I do like is the pride Idaho Made speaks of.

If it were an option would I chose it? No I don't think I would.

Will it keep me from buying anymore knives from Chris Reeve? No It won't, I use the knives I buy and it certainly won't have any negative impact on how they function.

I suspect in a few months everyone will be used to it. Someday when they change it there will outrage wanting it put back on :D

Some people don't like change and some people have a hard time accepting change. On the other hand some people don't sweat the small stuff.

As to comparing them to German cars I think that is a stretch. But if you look at the most expensive Porsche 911 models they have said "Carrera" or "GT3 II" or "Porsche" down the side. People frequently put huge Euro sized license plates on European Cars even though they serve no function here in the states. High end Mercedes frequently have AMG and other badges on them. BMW has their sportiest cars marked all over with "M" Badges as well.

I like things pain and simple too and IDAHO MADE seems pretty simple. Plus it is smaller than Classic MM.

So for me it is a nonissue. I hope it works out to everyone's satisfaction.

Idaho has some very good knife makers. I cannot fault Chris Reeve at all for being proud of where he lives and translating that into his craft. Idaho certainly has more than just potatoes:) But this isn't about what Idaho is or isn't as a state is it?

I have never figured out how changing the appearance of a knife with different engravings or logos or names changes the knife for what it was intended to be and do. It doesn't. :) ( I do have some experience in this arena:)) Chris Reeve probably makes the best folder on the market any of us can afford to buy. Sebenzas are legendary for their performance and yes some with varying appearances. But the primary use of a knife is that it is a tool that performs reliably and does the job well. So I really don't think this has anything to do with the knife's performance no matter what it has engraved on it.

SO the only thing I can see that the complaint might be is for collectors who must like the older style of engraving better? If that is the case then it would seem that Chris Reeve has only increased the value of all of the privious knives overnight AND now there is another evolution in the series to collect. What's to complain about guys?:) The man is alive and still making knives and you can still buy one of the finest knives in the world. You have been trusting his judgement all this time to have come to where he is in this industry and now you don't like an engraving?:) Buy them. :) Mike Perrin

I just flat out disagree. If it's not aesthetically appealing to someone, they don't buy it. It's an ugly engraving on a beautiful knife. And some people, like myself, were looking to get one more but the stamp turns them off.

If it was JUST about performance, people would find S30V in another framelock at a better price, which there's a few of.

Also, the stamp is a bit alienating. If it said made in USA or made in Washington, I'd probably have less issues with it:D
Idaho has some very good knife makers. I cannot fault Chris Reeve at all for being proud of where he lives and translating that into his craft. Idaho certainly has more than just potatoes:) But this isn't about what Idaho is or isn't as a state is it?

I have never figured out how changing the appearance of a knife with different engravings or logos or names changes the knife for what it was intended to be and do. It doesn't. :) ( I do have some experience in this arena:)) Chris Reeve probably makes the best folder on the market any of us can afford to buy. Sebenzas are legendary for their performance and yes some with varying appearances. But the primary use of a knife is that it is a tool that performs reliably and does the job well. So I really don't think this has anything to do with the knife's performance no matter what it has engraved on it.

SO the only thing I can see that the complaint might be is for collectors who must like the older style of engraving better? If that is the case then it would seem that Chris Reeve has only increased the value of all of the privious knives overnight AND now there is another evolution in the series to collect. What's to complain about guys?:) The man is alive and still making knives and you can still buy one of the finest knives in the world. You have been trusting his judgement all this time to have come to where he is in this industry and now you don't like an engraving?:) Buy them. :) Mike Perrin

Last edited:
We've had this issue come up from time to time with our knives. Some folks don't like the logos or markings and want them removed. We simply refuse to do it. Bottom line is if someone deoesn't like the markings on a knife, and that's the only way the company offers it, then don't buy it. But to not buy a CR knife because of Idaho Made on the blade just keeps you from owning one of the finest, well made knives on Earth. Idaho Made is alright by me. In fact, I'm going to go over to CR's web site rigth now and buy a knife becasue of this thread.

We've had this issue come up from time to time with our knives. Some folks don't like the logos or markings and want them removed. We simply refuse to do it. Bottom line is if someone deoesn't like the markings on a knife, and that's the only way the company offers it, then don't buy it. But to not buy a CR knife because of Idaho Made on the blade just keeps you from owning one of the finest, well made knives on Earth. Idaho Made is alright by me. In fact, I'm going to go over to CR's web site rigth now and buy a knife becasue of this thread.

I recommend the Umnumzaan. :thumbup:

So we're supposed to buy a knife just because who makes it? To heck with what it looks like right? Does that even make sense? Ok Ok, let's use the tool arguement. It's tool etc. etc. made to cut who cares what it looks like etc. etc. At that point, the discussion can degrade to the point that everyone should just use those fancy folding box cutters.

I already own a Sebenza, but that's besides the fact. What doesn't make sense to me is people telling people you need to own a new CRK with the stamp on it just because it's a CRK. If you don't like it, move on. CRK is not the be all, end all of knives.

What doesn't make sense to me is people telling people you need to own a new CRK with the stamp on it just because it's a CRK. If you don't like it, move on. CRK is not the be all, end all of knives.

Who says you need to buy a new CRK with a stamp on it? :confused:

" CRK is not the be all, end all of knives."

Well....it's closer than anything I know of.:)
Mike Perrin

I say if you don't like what's stamped on a knife, then don't buy it. That's pretty simple stuff to me.

BTW: I just filled out the order form for a Nyala and putting a check in the mail for 243.00 (including shipping). Nice looking knife.

Oh, and I second what Mike said. It is indeed closer than anything I know of also. And Made in Idaho, USA ;)

So we're supposed to buy a knife just because who makes it?

Reputation used to mean something. Same goes for quality. We can get all indignant here and pretend that those things mean no longer mean anything. Pretend that it's all about cosmetics. That pretty matters more than the aforementioned. The fact of the matter is, to a lot of people, reputation and quality is all that matters. When you find those qualities you form a bond, a sense of loyalty. In my not so humble opinion, Chris can stamp whatever he likes on his knives as long as his reputation and quality stay true.

idaknow.jpg

:D :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back