If given the chance, what knife company would you work for and what changes would you make....>

I see a lot of mention of SAK and Wenger. I miss my Wenger Nomad. It was my first knife in 1986 (I was 7, given to me by my great uncle) and I miss it dearly.

I see a lot of mention of SAK and Wenger. I miss my Wenger Nomad. It was my first knife in 1986 (I was 7, given to me by my great uncle) and I miss it dearly.

I don’t think I would mess with Victorinox. They are the largest knife maker in the world for a reason.

I would like to see them add a metal saw to their Mechanic model. And maybe a cork screw.

Imagine what would happen if Gerber and CRKT shifted to 14c28n as their base blade steel and used a good heat treatment!

I'm sure they could. After all, Sanrenmu uses 12C27 on $20ish knives and 14C28N on the $30ish knives they make for Ruike. As far as heat treatment, my own experiences and more controlled cut testing from others has confirmed that those knives can cut circles around 8Cr13Mov and even some of the Chinese D2 out there. Forget about the 7Cr, 5Cr, and 4Cr that companies like Kershaw, CRKT, and Gerber still use in knives at those prices. :eek:

Benchmade

1. All models would have one variant with a basic dark (black, gray, or brown) handle and an *uncoated* blade.
2. QC would become a major focus given the pricepoint of their knives.

Maybe they've turned a corner.

kVaIpfQ.jpg
Thats one knife i'd be happy to never see again,I sure don't understand the appeal

Any company that isn't shady.

Good quality T8 body screws.

No permanent threadlocker.

Hardware shapes that prevent anything from spinning freely.

Set the budget floor at Sandvik Steels like 12C27 and 14C28N instead of 8Cr13 and Chinese D2.

Thin blade stocks ground to get nice and thin behind the edge.
your almost describing Civivi knives ,great choice

your almost describing Civivi knives ,great choice

Thanks. Civivi is my favorite budget brand, except for all the D2. Maybe I could change my answer to:

- Civivi

- Ditch the D2. Use Sandvik steels or 9Cr18Mov instead. While 9Cr18Mov is an okay budget steel on its own, WE has perfected the heat treatment. It's a bit like 420HC vs Buck's 420HC with the Bos heat treatment, only starting from a better place on edge retention.

- Make sure that all the knives have recessed pocket clip screws.

Another thing I'd like to see is an end to hollow spaces and/or fill plates for clip reversal. Either seat the clip flat against the scale (with recessed screws on the clip), make a separate lefty scale available, or try an entirely different type of clip that won't leave a pock in the presentation scale.

...Another thing I'd like to see is an end to hollow spaces and/or fill plates for clip reversal. Either seat the clip flat against the scale (with recessed screws on the clip), make a separate lefty scale available, or try an entirely different type of clip that won't leave a pock in the presentation scale.

I kinda like the fill plates but, it really just depends upon the knife.

Why do you want to get rid of the plates?

I kinda like the fill plates but, it really just depends upon the knife.

Why do you want to get rid of the plates?

Plates can be better than voids in terms of ergonomics but they still look ugly to me.

I'd make the changes due to commonly expressed criticisms:

Spyderco:

The Hole is Ugly = We will make our customers love them. Make the hole even bigger and mirror polish it.

Compression lock is not ambidextrous/finger-slicing (Ikuchi,Tropen,etc.) = Sell sets of liners and scales with buttons. I would charge around $15-30 for a conversion package, where you select the Spyderco model and choose "Left Side Lock Liner + Right Side Button Scale" and "Right Side Lock Liner + Left Side Button Scale". Mix and match.

Paramilitary Poor Blade/Handle Ratio = Sell shorter versions of PM2/PM3 with deleted lanyard hole section. Integrate a back-spacer that doubles as lanyard hole. See Artisan Cutlery below:

IMG_6943-932x425_480x480.JPG

Benchmade:

Uneven Grinds = Halt production and release the new 940-0, the zero bevel chisel grind until the fanbase realizes they miss us.

Pricing = Bugout is $130 (S30V+Grivory), while the SOG Terminus is $80 (S35VN+Carbon Fiber). Freek is $200 (CPM-M4+G-10), while the Hogue RSK is $160 (CPM-20CV+G-10). I would need to discount my products at least $30 to stay competitive. If I want to maintain the image of premium to justify the price, then the products will be more refined. This includes: Perfect grinds, crowned blades, mirror polished flats, and continued impeccable customer service. Also will send screws, clips and springs - no questions asked.

The Almighty Omega = Goes extinct. The Axis on the Anthem is the new standard. Every Benchmade product will have either a "long spine back-spacer" piece, or male/female sandwich scales to provide a top mounting point for the coil spring. This negates all weaknesses Omega springs had, which will make our products infinitely fidgetable and less openings to collect gunk - since the top is covered.

Kershaw/ZT:

Alphabet Soup Steel = All knives in the $20-$70 range is either 12C27, D2, 14C28N, AEB-L or Nitro-V. No more 2CrOP39(.)(.) MoVQXY? mystery steel. ZT steels will be S35VN, Elmax or M390/20CV.

ZT Refinement: ZT wasn't made to compete with William Henry. Go back to the classics that made the brand great. Fat chunks of Elmax and titanium. Make the logo smaller and less cartoonish.

Reate & Medford: Cheaper and thinner blade stock.

GEC: Less cover variety and increased production of patterns we already know people want. Make unlimited runs of Elephant Toenails with beer-barrel scales, and Beer Scouts with mammoth ivory scales. Hire enforcers to "write strongly worded letters" to Beer & Sausage flippers. Hire our first web designer.

WE/Civivi/Sencut: Explore other locktypes other than liner and framelocks. The Helix was amazing. The company needs to be bolder and stop pushing out another almost, but not quite edgy D2/G-10 model every week.

CRKT: No more glass fibers and 8CR13MOV. All knives in the $20-$70 range is either 12C27, D2, 14C28N, AEB-L or Nitro-V with micarta or G-10. Find great OEMS (WE, Lionsteel, Millit, Reate, etc.) to produce the designs from famous designers.

Artisan Cutlery/CJRB: Change the logo. Put the recoil lock on everything.

Last edited:
Since Cold Steel ; as we knew it; is no more, my new favorite company is Spyderco.
I love Spyderco knives, and Colorado even more.
I would like to see more $100-$150 knives with 3.75"-4" blades.

Spyderco: military, rex-121 blade, compression lock, tip up carry, captive bearings, good detent, ti scales.

Bark River Knives:
Offer a large version of the most popular models.
I want a handle 1/8" thicker (side to side) and 1/8" deeper (top to bottom).
Even if they just offer this option on the Bravo 1 and the Aurora, I would be happy.
My hands are just too big for most production knives.

I would have to pick crkt. Such a love hate relationship with that company. Great design, horrible heat treat and materials. I would go all-in on quality control and getting the best heat treat possible given the particular steel. And I would ban the company from 8Cr or any other cheap Chinese steel. Affordable USA made knives with meticulous fit and finish.

I would have to pick crkt. Such a love hate relationship with that company. Great design, horrible heat treat and materials. I would go all-in on quality control and getting the best heat treat possible given the particular steel. And I would ban the company from 8Cr or any other cheap Chinese steel. Affordable USA made knives with meticulous fit and finish.
I've often fantasized about combining the best of CRTK design innovation (and some other companies like them ) with the quality and value of WE / Civivi ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Not naming names, but the blade thickness would decrease across the board by at least 1/8” unless it’s already 1/8”, most everything would switch to FFG, TBE would be reduced to half of current stats, everything would leave the shop razor sharp and with a nice goddamn sheath.

This applies to at least a few companies out there.

None. Because I would not want to deal with the responsibility of warranties, overhead and labor costs, and customer service.
Nor do I feel qualified to arrogantly think I can tell any knife company how to run a business and design knives.

Paramilitary Poor Blade/Handle Ratio = Sell shorter versions of PM2/PM3 with deleted lanyard hole section. Integrate a back-spacer that doubles as lanyard hole

I'd be happy with just a slightly longer blade

Back