1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

If it wasn't for Blade Forums, how many knives would you own?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by 22-rimfire, Jul 21, 2018.

1. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Eh, just as a many, but I'd be less informed about them. I tend to buy what I like and less what's recommended. And I very likely would have ended up with some brands that have less than great people at the helm, and while I think some designs they have are kinda cool, knowing what I know thanks to BF's is gonna make sure I am not supporting them.

2. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    I have been collecting for 45plus yrs.. BF has NO influence over what I buy.. So I guess my answer would be... ZERO!!! :D John

3. GABaus

GABaus

May 7, 2017
    In my case I would probably have roughly ten more knives than I currently do, Bladeforums peaked my interest in some of the more expensive or less common brands such as Case or Opinel and after getting to use higher quality knives the draw of the gas station junk becomes somewhat weaker.

4. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Less than 20, compared to maybe a hundred now.

5. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Oh probably twice as many because I would work more and spend less time sitting and typing.
    Just kidding. I don't know . . . I would still be visiting company web pages and drooling and buying.
    Probably but I would SURE AS HELL know a lot less details about the alloys and how to sharpen them. I had some very significant misconceptions before I came here.
    So thank you Blade Forums members who have tried to bang some facts into my head.

6. ipwn3r456

ipwn3r456

Sep 2, 2013
    Bladeforums made me have 3 QUALITY knives today, the Spyderco/Zero Tolerance/Benchmade trio. If I have never visited here, I would probably end up with only one knife, and it will probably be a random SOG or Gerber, or similarly cheaper quality knives.

7. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Probably a dozen rather than knocking on 50. I certainly do not think I would have broken the $200 barrier either.

8. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp That's right, it's genuine Velveeta... Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Honestly, probably more than I do now. My interest in knives hasn't waned since I was a small child. This site makes it easy for me to sell and trade them, so I tend to get rid of ones that don't get carried. If this resource wasn't here I'd probably accumulate knives at a slower rate, but then they'd likely never leave my posession.

Note: This site has absolutely played a part in increasing my price ceiling for knives though. I wouldn't have ever dreamed of owning a sebenza or the like.

GABaus likes this.
  9. GABaus

GABaus

May 7, 2017
    In my case I would probably have roughly ten more knives than I currently do, Bladeforums sparked my interest in some of the more expensive(a relative term) or simply higher quality brands such as Case or Opinel and after getting to use higher quality knives the draw of the gas station junk becomes somewhat weaker.

10. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    So you would probably own more knives.... Spend time here, you have a lot of knife growing to do. Before long you will only look at the gas station junk, maybe handle one, and then a knowing smile appears.

11. MacLaren1

MacLaren1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2014
    To be honest, prolly just an ole Pakistan, that would stay in drawer.

12. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I’d probably still be content with the gateway knives that I started out with, having a few of the favorites in my possession. But, no, I joined here and learned about different brands that I was completely ignorant of and started that journey down the rabbit hole. I own way more knives than I’ll ever use or wear out. This place rekindled my love for traditionals, which I was content with not having any in my possession due to a traumatic experience with them when I was young and stupid. :eek:
    This place has led me to own a wide variety of great knives that I would have otherwise missed out on. Some will eventually find new homes, some will be gifted, but most of them will stay in my possession until I Can admit I’m a hoarder of knives.

13. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    I'd own more junk without BF. Or even if they weren't junk, they wouldn't be the knives that worked the best for what I wanted. I've learned a lot from other members, and found out why I should be looking for certain aspects over others.

GABaus likes this.
  14. The Burgh

The Burgh Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2015
    If it wasn't for this Forum, and all you enablers, I'd be in the kitchen counting all my boring cutting implements (to answer your question).

15. CookieRawwr

CookieRawwr Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Well before I joined Blade Forums it was all about the BudK catalog, lol I didn't know any better. Until I stumbled upon some Spyderco's and Benchmade's at the local gun store. I didn't buy any but started researching them online, then found them at this place called Knife Center where I bought my first Spyderco Manix. I probably would of been content with the two Sog's and all the United Cutlery stuff I had bought lol. I certainly would of never heard of Chris Reeves or Busse knives, my personal favorites, if it weren't for this place.

16. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Before I joined BF I always owned at least 5-10 knives at any given time, but only carried one at a time. I only had what I would consider junk knives when I was a kid. Even before BF I had Cold Steels, Gerbers, Spydercos, Cases, SOGs, Ontarios, Emersons, Benchmades, Bucks, Schrades, etc.

When I first found Bladeforums, I was looking for reviews on a knife I can't even remember, and this site kept coming up on the search engines.

I took a look around and thought "wow! I don't want to get all addicted to knives like those dumbasses.", so I didn't join for another 2 years...

Now I own far too many and carry at least 2-3 at a time.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  17. stonproject

stonproject

Nov 22, 2013
    I keep thinking taking a break from this website will stop me from buying knives. And then I get the itch... I buy a knife, and somehow wind up back here.

Its a vicious cycle.

G. Scott H. and skyhorse like this.
  18. VernonRemington

VernonRemington Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I wouldn’t say because of bladeforums, but the internet and Instagram kick started my collecting. Bladeforums gave me knowledge and a place to sell my knives, so I could buy more knives.

Just one more......

19. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Never visited Instagram, and seldom look at U-Tube videos especially with regard to knives. U-Tube for me is about learning how to repair something, watching a rock band perform from years ago, Christmas songs and so forth.

20. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Several less than I own now and a lot less than I’ll own in the future.

4mer_FMF likes this.