If it wasn't for Blade Forums, how many knives would you own?

Eh, just as a many, but I'd be less informed about them. I tend to buy what I like and less what's recommended. And I very likely would have ended up with some brands that have less than great people at the helm, and while I think some designs they have are kinda cool, knowing what I know thanks to BF's is gonna make sure I am not supporting them.

I have been collecting for 45plus yrs.. BF has NO influence over what I buy.. So I guess my answer would be... ZERO!!! :D John

In my case I would probably have roughly ten more knives than I currently do, Bladeforums peaked my interest in some of the more expensive or less common brands such as Case or Opinel and after getting to use higher quality knives the draw of the gas station junk becomes somewhat weaker.

So, how many knives do you think you'd own if it wasn't for Blade Forums?
Oh probably twice as many because I would work more and spend less time sitting and typing.
Just kidding. I don't know . . . I would still be visiting company web pages and drooling and buying.
Would you even know about all these steels used in knives?
Probably but I would SURE AS HELL know a lot less details about the alloys and how to sharpen them. I had some very significant misconceptions before I came here.
So thank you Blade Forums members who have tried to bang some facts into my head.

Bladeforums made me have 3 QUALITY knives today, the Spyderco/Zero Tolerance/Benchmade trio. If I have never visited here, I would probably end up with only one knife, and it will probably be a random SOG or Gerber, or similarly cheaper quality knives.

Probably a dozen rather than knocking on 50. I certainly do not think I would have broken the $200 barrier either.

I know that being a member here keeps my interest up with knives. The same thing happened with Colt firearms and guns in general. I do like to share information, but at some point you say enough is enough and I have pretty much done that with guns. Selling now mostly....

So, how many knives do you think you'd own if it wasn't for Blade Forums? I suspect I would own about a dozen knives that I mostly use and a few that just lie around.

Would you even know about all these steels used in knives? The 440A thread made me consider my hobby.

Honestly, probably more than I do now. My interest in knives hasn't waned since I was a small child. This site makes it easy for me to sell and trade them, so I tend to get rid of ones that don't get carried. If this resource wasn't here I'd probably accumulate knives at a slower rate, but then they'd likely never leave my posession.

Note: This site has absolutely played a part in increasing my price ceiling for knives though. I wouldn't have ever dreamed of owning a sebenza or the like.

In my case I would probably have roughly ten more knives than I currently do, Bladeforums sparked my interest in some of the more expensive(a relative term) or simply higher quality brands such as Case or Opinel and after getting to use higher quality knives the draw of the gas station junk becomes somewhat weaker.

In my case I would probably have roughly ten more knives than I currently do, Bladeforums sparked my interest in some of the more expensive(a relative term) or simply higher quality brands such as Case or Opinel and after getting to use higher quality knives the draw of the gas station junk becomes somewhat weaker.
So you would probably own more knives.... Spend time here, you have a lot of knife growing to do. Before long you will only look at the gas station junk, maybe handle one, and then a knowing smile appears.

I’d probably still be content with the gateway knives that I started out with, having a few of the favorites in my possession. But, no, I joined here and learned about different brands that I was completely ignorant of and started that journey down the rabbit hole. I own way more knives than I’ll ever use or wear out. This place rekindled my love for traditionals, which I was content with not having any in my possession due to a traumatic experience with them when I was young and stupid. :eek:
This place has led me to own a wide variety of great knives that I would have otherwise missed out on. Some will eventually find new homes, some will be gifted, but most of them will stay in my possession until I Can admit I’m a hoarder of knives.

I'd own more junk without BF. Or even if they weren't junk, they wouldn't be the knives that worked the best for what I wanted. I've learned a lot from other members, and found out why I should be looking for certain aspects over others.

If it wasn't for this Forum, and all you enablers, I'd be in the kitchen counting all my boring cutting implements (to answer your question).

Well before I joined Blade Forums it was all about the BudK catalog, lol I didn't know any better. Until I stumbled upon some Spyderco's and Benchmade's at the local gun store. I didn't buy any but started researching them online, then found them at this place called Knife Center where I bought my first Spyderco Manix. I probably would of been content with the two Sog's and all the United Cutlery stuff I had bought lol. I certainly would of never heard of Chris Reeves or Busse knives, my personal favorites, if it weren't for this place.

Before I joined BF I always owned at least 5-10 knives at any given time, but only carried one at a time. I only had what I would consider junk knives when I was a kid. Even before BF I had Cold Steels, Gerbers, Spydercos, Cases, SOGs, Ontarios, Emersons, Benchmades, Bucks, Schrades, etc.

When I first found Bladeforums, I was looking for reviews on a knife I can't even remember, and this site kept coming up on the search engines.

I took a look around and thought "wow! I don't want to get all addicted to knives like those dumbasses.", so I didn't join for another 2 years...

Now I own far too many and carry at least 2-3 at a time.

Last edited:
I keep thinking taking a break from this website will stop me from buying knives. And then I get the itch... I buy a knife, and somehow wind up back here.

Its a vicious cycle.

I wouldn’t say because of bladeforums, but the internet and Instagram kick started my collecting. Bladeforums gave me knowledge and a place to sell my knives, so I could buy more knives.

Just one more......

Never visited Instagram, and seldom look at U-Tube videos especially with regard to knives. U-Tube for me is about learning how to repair something, watching a rock band perform from years ago, Christmas songs and so forth.

Back