If it wasn't for Blade Forums, how many knives would you own?

Like others above, I’d have half of the number of knives I now have (which isn’t all that big a numerical difference), but more importantly the ones I have would be of vastly lower quality.

The one good thing about this forum is that the forum (and its knowledgable members) have actually helped me narrow down some purchases that I would have otherwise thrown money at and been disappointed.

The downside to this forum, and I say this jokingly, is that I use a knife now and start worrying about "is this steel the right one for the job" and "is it the right blade grind", etc. Before I just grabbed a knife and used it. lol

The one good thing about this forum is that the forum (and its knowledgable members) have actually helped me narrow down some purchases that I would have otherwise thrown money at and been disappointed.

The downside to this forum, and I say this jokingly, is that I use a knife now and start worrying about "is this steel the right one for the job" and "is it the right blade grind", etc. Before I just grabbed a knife and used it. lol

What Jocephus said lol.

Not sure about the number.
But it would have taken a lot longer to reach to the number of knives I own now.

The only knives this site has influenced me to buy are
1. Cold steel recon 1
2. Benchmade griptilians (3 total)
And 3. Spyderco para 2 (2 total)
.....so all but 6, but I do really like all 6, so go bladeforums! Lol

I would probably have 5 mostly Kershaws and Benchmades. So glad I found this hub of knowledge and badassery though.

Without BladeForums, probably 5-6. Without the internet period, probably 1-2. I was on buckskinning and primitive ways type sites before I got on BF a lot and that's when I got into having more than 1 or so.

I've given more than a few away in the last few years and probably have 50 or so now.

I'm new on the block but have been interested in knives for decades,using them in the bush and finding good [ few ] and bad,made a few amateurish items then I discovered the mighty Sharpfinger ,then the scrimshaw version with the whale I bought for my son and the collecting bug bit.Over the years I found various examples as singles and in boxed sets [ have a Les Schwab tires box ] with 340T folder,and including other manufacturers [Bear,Kissing crane,Condor,Rigid,and the chinese mistake an Elk Ridge] versions,have about 20 of the 152 pattern.There is a german Bowie,a couple authentic Kukris,and Old timer folders,that's about it for now but I have aquired an anvil and am slowly working toward building a forge to try and produce something worthwhile.

If you think BF is hard on the pocketbook, trying going to the Blade Show. You can burn thru 5 figures in a day easy with no trouble.

I cannot say BF has had as much of an impact as of yet, time will tell. Several purchases I can say that has been influenced by you folks are traditional folders like those by Case and my latest Great Easter Whaler.

As much as i would like to attribute this forum to much of what i own, it saddens me to suddenly realise that most of the older stuff were not bought as a result of overwhelming outside influence. Which is a good thing, because now i am certain not buying as much as i did then. It dawned upon me that a great deal of my older accumalated material has certainly no foreseeable future either as collectables nor as basic knives with the likes of well informed fromites.

As I said earlier I've YouTube and Twitter for far far far longer than Blade Forums, and those sites are where I started following knives.

However, what has changed is how much I know abt premium steels. It really gets drummed in to you if you are here every day. There are so many good steels and good knives, so it drives you to look farther and wider than ever before at what is available. My knife buying accelerated, but it was not directly due to knife recommendations as much as steel chatter.

Probably the same amount, but I have discovered some of the premium brands through Bladeforums though.

Let's see, if memory serves when I joined BF I owned a SAK Huntsman, a cheap SOG boot knife, a Benchmade 690, an Ontario Blackbird, and a Delica 4 -- so five.

It was a simpler time. :D

Of course at first thought, it's easy to say I would have fewer knives, however, upon further thought, I'd probably end up with the same number of knives. After all, I had inexpensive knives earlier in my life, but eventually realized that there had to be better knives out there, and I started to search around online. Every single search I did usually had a Bladeforums thread in the first several links, so....(shrug)

Back