If you could only have one

Tim the Wizard

Street Samurai
Gold Member
This is a relatively simply question, but I expect it will have a few comprehensive responses.

Imagine that you can only have one Fiddleback Forge knife (not Fiddleback Forge and related brands).

What is the model/tang style/scales/thickness/steel?

Handyman 1/8" convex. I'm not going to fantasize steel choices so A2 it is.

Handle in order of preference: g10, micarta, shadetree burlap, marbled carbon fiber, naturally stable non burl wood. Black or green micarta, Evergreen burlap on thick natural, Ironwood over thick OD, Osage on natural with white or blue liners, Blackwood on thick black micarta. I am kind of done with bolsters right now but od on IW or natural on some burlap looks nice.

The Handyman gives a purposeful profile for my uses, with a size that can be used for everyday, a light trail knife, or up to a good camp blade paired with another cutting tool or two.

Runner up... An Asp

If I did not enjoy outdoor pursuits I'd go with the Bushboot. If the Handyman and Asp did not exist, a Bushboot would be in that top slot (though it can fill a similar enough role)

Last edited:
3/32" Bushfinger for a do-all knife, big enough but not too big.

Last edited:
Bushboot w/ osage over natural liners & white pinstripes, SFT Convex on spalted ⅛” A2
I have it with me right now.

A really close 2nd is: Old School Ladyfinger w/ desert ironwood over black liners & white pinstripes, SFT, trinity pin out, convex on spalted 3/32” A2 also known as Tony's Old Lady 😊

Old Style Bushnub 1/8" thin Tapered Tang, high grind and handle more on the thin-ish side

On the fence between Ruby burlap over Black/White or Bog Oak over Black/White since this would be my only one.

I'd prefer CPM154 or S35VN over A2 but would be happy with A2

Reasons:
Of all the models' blade shapes, I love the Bushfinger blade shape the most. However, the Bushfinger ends up being a bit large for every day carry so unfortunately mine end up getting less carry time than I'd like. IF I could get that blade but a tad shorter and with a slightly shorter handle, that would be PERFECT to me. Hence .. Old Style Bushnub! As Odoan/Orion recently commented "if I was looking for a model to EDC, take into the woods, food prep, game process, so on and so forth, -a knife to do it all- I would definitely be looking at a 1/8 TT Handyman or Bushnub." and I completely agree with this, especially when it comes to the old style Bushnub.

Thanks for posting up this question! Should be a great thread.

EDIT: I'd be willing to pay Andy a $150 "Request Premium/Surcharge" just to get the knife that I really want.

I would have to agree with Jerry. As I said in the EDC Share thread, in general I think a Bushnub or Handyman would cover all of my possible knife uses when combined with a saw or an axe for the woods, but since you asked I'll get specific.

An OG Bushnub, 1/8" thinly tapered tang, high grind convex, stainless preferred to cover all use applications though A2 would be acceptable. My preferred handle materials are burlap and micarta in greens and naturals. OD over blue or orange and natural, natural bolstered OD or evergreen, OD bolstered natural, etc. :thumbup:

3/32" TT A2 OSKarda with Figured Ironwood, black and white racing stripes, black pins with mosaic trinity pin layout. The same could also apply to a Neckmuk, but I'll stick with OSKarda for this thread.

That's a tough one. I'd probably go with the 1st BC I purchased - Slate G10, but I'd go 1/8 TT A2 instead of 5/32 O1. 3/32 Patch in Oreo Shadetree is a close 2nd.

3/32 Handyman, any steel. Slightly thicker handle than normal 3/32, with some type of micarta.

Rather than ask myself “What knife will do it all?”, I tend to approach this type of thread with the idea of “Which knife would I miss the most and/or have the hardest time replacing if my house burned down tomorrow?”

Of the dozen remaining Fiddlebacks in my collection, I would have to chose the 3/32” CPM 154 Gaucho. This little gem has been my most used Fiddleback. It has been a bulletproof low maintenance workhorse for me, whether that was in the kitchen, garage, hiking or camping. This one would also be the hardest to replace because Andy seems to have mostly abandoned working with thin Fiddle-textured CPM 154 these days.

So there you have it. The Gaucho is not a do it all solution by any means. Just a practical user for me. Honestly, if I paired this knife with a production S35VN Duke, I could do everything I need to do Fiddleback-wise and not feel like I was handicapped at all.

Phil

Well, if we're ignoring carry laws and not worrying about freaking people out at the grocery store then I'm going with this one

DSC03119-vi.jpg

If not then this one

DSC03037-vi.jpg

:D

Only one? I'm sorry I don't understand the question ... hahah

For me and my lifestyle I use the pk the most so it would have to be the pk... maybe that's why I have 6 of them??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1/8" TT bushcrafter in 01 with sandblasted micarta grips & a full height grind. I had a 5/32 version of this knife and loved it -- can do every and anything you throw at it, and won't scare away other folks at the campsite/shelter.

Only one? I'm sorry I don't understand the question ... hahah

For me and my lifestyle I use the pk the most so it would have to be the pk... maybe that's why I have 6 of them??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, no, no! You only get ONE. Hahaha!

Have you posted a picture of all 6?! I'd love to see the PK collection.

I'm going to add an addendum to my previous post... I would have a Bushnub if I had to follow laws, because in Colorado I can't conceal a blade longer than 3.5" (not that it ever gets checked or enforced, and fishing/hunting are exempt, but still).

If that wasn't a consideration, or I just left out wanting to pocket carry, I would have a very difficult time choosing between a KEB, OS Ladyfinger, and Bushfinger... I would have an even harder time letting my 3/32 osage OS Ladyfinger go, if I decided on a different model in the hypothetical practice...

This is what happens when we have to decided on a single Fiddleback! Addenda, indices, conditional requirements, Tony's blood pressure is probably through the roof, and Jerry has already buried half of his collection in the back 40, "What Fiddlebacks?" :D

kPiyrQ5l.jpg

Last edited:
Back