If you could only own 3 knives for the rest of your life...

Boy, that's tough - but if I had to...

I suppose my Victorinox Huntsman (carry it every day in my front left pocket). Use it very frequently and can do everything from sawing wood with the saw to minute snipping with the scissors (and lots more):

Got to include my BK-9 - for the same reasons that I imagine every pioneer and Civil War soldier would have loved it:

Can't fail to include my BK-2 - as I imagine it would be most likely to survive long-term if I couldn't get another/wore the others out:

In fact, I suspect, if all 3 knives were Mora's one could make case that that is all that is needed.
One could also make the case for it only counting as one knife; and I suspect more people would get in my line than yours, lol.

You're talking to the wrong crowd. The majority of us have multiple knives. Many of us carry more than one knife at a time. I've got nothing against Morakniv...but think about it. The most sold versions are inexpensive. They're throwaway knives - intended to be used with little regard and replaced when damaged. Hultafors makes similar knives, and they're used the same way. I think there's a place in everybody's world for a knife like that; but most of us here don't view knives as strictly utilitarian.
I don't remember if the terms of this thread allowed for replacement of a knife if it is damaged - if so, having a Mora in the mix makes sense. Still, when one has spent more money to obtain nicer things, where's the draw to give those up and go with basic utility?

Your looking more for protection I think ? ๐Ÿค˜
Nope. My choices are for general utility, aka 'bushcrafty' purposes. I have 30+ years of experience using these specific implements in fire-, shelter- and implement-making. They are like extensions of my hands, mind, etc. The only question is whether I include a specific SAK, or a specific multi-tool, in my plans. I'm presently leaning more toward the multi-tool because it can do things the SAK cannot and, with the Gerber, I already have a good and trusted blade.

Protection is secondary. You see, at my age (78) and current level of impairment (don't ask), I am extremely unlikely to do well in individual combat.

Last edited:
A few adjustments, tangents and silliness over the last 15 months has brought me almost full circleโ€ฆ

CPK HDFK replaced the FK2 as dedicated camp/hiking knife.

CRK Inkosi replaced the DEK1 for an everyday utility knife

Mnandi still owns the pocket knife category.
VeQB1wR.jpeg

Last edited:
If I could only have 3 knives, they would be my SYKCO 1311, CPK HDFK and my Spyderco Military in S90V. My Becker BK15 would be a close third. I could cover 99% of my cutting needs with these 3 knives.

VnCf2Fz.jpeg

Cvx2Oz5.jpeg

VsUOHjQ.jpg

My wicked freehand edge, just touched up recently on my Flexxx strop.
7S24K7y.jpeg
The handle on the machete looks very similar to those used by Blackjack on their Marauder, Big Country Kampr, and Grunt knives in the late '80s/early '90's. [The Big Country Kampr and Grunt knives were OEM'ed by Knifeware Inc.] All were made in Seki Japan.

Back