If you don't yet have a .22 ...

Went to a show this morning where several dealers had ammo and a some had reasonable prices. I picked up a few boxes of Remington HP ammo, $40 out the door for boxes of 525. Not what I consider a bargain but certainly better than anything I could find online. I saw Federal and Winchester for similar prices. The best price I saw on CCI was $10 per 100 for standard velocity round nose and $12 for high velocity HPs.

Went to a show this morning where several dealers had ammo and a some had reasonable prices. I picked up a few boxes of Remington HP ammo, $40 out the door for boxes of 525. Not what I consider a bargain but certainly better than anything I could find online. I saw Federal and Winchester for similar prices. The best price I saw on CCI was $10 per 100 for standard velocity round nose and $12 for high velocity HPs.
On Saturday gunbot had listings for CCI SV for $0.09/cartridge. In 2015/2016 you will mot find it cheaper. That's the standard price.

19968961122_6a12de9d4b_b.jpg

Dad's Marlin Model 60 (1973 if I remember right), brother's 10/22, and my Takedown.
19789964489_526c9bf0b0_b.jpg

I have a nice pile of ammo for 'em so far.

Today Target Sports USA has ELEY primed Aquila SuperExtra HV available at $0.08 per cartridge with a 5 brick/half case limit. .22LR is easily found at good prices these days.

9/10 times I go to Dick's sports, they have something lying around. Cheaper than most online stores, though it did go up a bit around early August.
22896405846_9d2234fae9_z.jpg

I found this topic interesting since I am also from Ohio and I went to the woods this year with my Ithaca .22 to hunt squirrel. It's been about 35 years since I hunted them last and it was a lot of fun.

I bought the Ithaca .22 lever action on my 18th birthday and have had it ever since (I'm 63).

I killed two squirrels and I thought I'd share the recipe:
Place the following into a crockpot...
Two cleaned and rinsed squirrels
Two peeled and sliced potatoes
Two sliced onions
One half bottle of red wine
One half stick of butter
One pack of Liptons Onion Soup mix

Mix it all together and let it simmer on low fourteen hours.

You'll love it. It also works with venison roast, moose, etc.

I found this topic interesting since I am also from Ohio and I went to the woods this year with my Ithaca .22 to hunt squirrel. It's been about 35 years since I hunted them last and it was a lot of fun.

I bought the Ithaca .22 lever action on my 18th birthday and have had it ever since (I'm 63).

Two sliced onions
One half stick of butter

Dang it all - now I'm hungry. :D

Two sliced onions
One half stick of butter

I'll come back to this only I'll use rabbits .

I don't know..... sounds tasty. But the cost of the fixings is more than buying burger at the super market.

I've been using a Winchester 61 (pump action) and a few Ruger 10-22 rifles for squirrel for too many years to count

If you wanna have some squirrel that taste great and is also tender, well here's the way I've been fixin' and eating it for 50 plus years, clean and cut into pieces and soak in salt water overnight, take it out and rinse it off and put it into a pressure cooker with water and some dried red pepper (we string up some pepper every year and let it dry and use it for our wild game dishes) cook for about 20-30 minutes, take it out of the pot and let it cool for a few minutes, save the pot liquor (the water for you youngsters) for later, get out a big skillet and get about 3/4 of an inch of some oil hot, season you some flour with black pepper and salt and roll the squirrel pieces in it and place in the pan and brown it on both sides, drain the squirrel on some paper towels, pour off most of the oil and put a couple or so of tablespoons of flour in the pan and cook it off a minute or so, then add some of the pot liquor a little at a time to make some gravy, reach over there and get the biscuits out of the oven (homemade of course) and the squirrel and gravy, sit down at the table, unbutton your top pants button and dig in to the gravy and biscuits and the squirrel !!!!!!!! BTW, it doesn't taste like chicken and it usually takes at least 10-12 squirrels to make a good platter full.

22long or short is actually over-gunned for squirrels in my opinion. as well as being overpriced, and not the safest option.
I do love a 22, i own many. if a gun can easily take a mature deer, it's probably a little much for a squirrel.
again, i loooove 22s, justnot for squirrel. and definitely no one should suggest a 22long or shot for squirrel to a newbie, a missed shot can go a long way. depending on where you hunt, this is a sketchy move (same with using a 22 for birds, partridge, woodcock, grouse etc...)

i use air rifles for squirrel, it's dirt cheap, and equally lethal and accurate, plus being safer.
just my take. nothing wrong with a 22 in the right hands (a confident, good shot) but a good air rifle will do the same thing at a fraction of the cost.

flytyer-
I've gotten squirrels with 12 gauge deer slugs, 7.62x39, .45 ACP, and some others. And ya know what? They were all just as dead as if I'd shot 'em with a horribly overpowered .22. ;)

flytyer-
I've gotten squirrels with 12 gauge deer slugs, 7.62x39, .45 ACP, and some others. And ya know what? They were all just as dead as if I'd shot 'em with a horribly overpowered .22. ;)
it's a pricing issue why i use the lower calibers and air rifles. i take 4000+ critters a year as a trapper and hunter, it adds up. air rifle makes more sense for many jobs. safer, and cheaper (among other upsides)

it's a pricing issue why i use the lower calibers and air rifles. i take 4000+ critters a year as a trapper and hunter, it adds up. air rifle makes more sense for many jobs. safer, and cheaper (among other upsides)

I always found the air rifles I used to be under powered, but that is just me. I feel sure there are better models around these days that I haven't been exposed to as I pretty much am a 22 guy. With 22's, you should try for head shots on squirrels. The other issue I mentioned was travel distance of a typical 22 rimfire. In today's world, houses are popping up all over the place in the country and as a result, you need to be careful with your backstop. Would absolutely hate to shoot into someone's house by accident regardless of whether there was an injury or not.

As I type this gunbot shows Glen's has CCI SV at $0.09/cartridge. Won't last though.

22long or short is actually over-gunned for squirrels in my opinion. as well as being overpriced, and not the safest option.
I do love a 22, i own many. if a gun can easily take a mature deer, it's probably a little much for a squirrel.
Are you suggesting .22LR is adequate for deer?!? If so, don't. Just don't! In many jurisdictions such hunting is illegal and for very good reason.

I always found the air rifles I used to be under powered, but that is just me. I feel sure there are better models around these days that I haven't been exposed to as I pretty much am a 22 guy. With 22's, you should try for head shots on squirrels. The other issue I mentioned was travel distance of a typical 22 rimfire. In today's world, houses are popping up all over the place in the country and as a result, you need to be careful with your backstop. Would absolutely hate to shoot into someone's house by accident regardless of whether there was an injury or not.
totally agree, hence why i prefer high-powered air rifles, no danger like the 22s. a good air rifle will take care of your needs, there are some new calibers available now too that are going in popularity. you can get a lot more metal down range now. look into it, you'll love it, it's a blast for things like squirrels and groundhogs

Are you suggesting .22LR is adequate for deer?!? If so, don't. Just don't! In many jurisdictions such hunting is illegal and for very good reason.
where i hunt, it IS legal, and there is NOTHING wrong with that. unless you're a bad shot.
it's illegal because most hunters aren't a great shot. there is nothing wrong with the right person taking a shot with a 22 for a deer. i have LEGALLY taken many deer this way, with iron sights at 100 yards or less.
the truth is, in close range, a 22 has the same killing potential on a deer as most of our hunting gear, (take a bow as an example) at low yardage. the difference between a 22 and a higher power rifle, is "margin for error" most hunters need that cushion, but if you're a good shot, a 22 will do the same job.
your laws exist to 1)protect hunters from themselves, because most hunters shouldn't use a 22 and 2) to protect the animals, because, again, most hunters won't make the right shot.
22s have been used since they were created to hunt deer. there is nothing wrong with it. do you really think a 22 won't drop a deer at 30 yards? but you trust a bow t 30 yards? there is no logic behind that. i've seen elk taken with a 22 (haven't done it myself) but the truth is, it's a shot placement issue, NOT an issue with a 22 round itself.
i'm not suggesting people use it, i'm suggesting that with a good shooter, it will drop a deer just like anything else.

i've never had to take a second shot with a 22 on a deer. because i take my time with my first shot, and make it right. just like with a bow. shooting deer with a slug gun or something like that is a better idea for most hunters, because if a shot isn't perfect, you're still ok, and that deer will still drop.

Last edited:
Back