If you sell or trade Hinderers what do you EDC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed a couple things in my short time on the Internet forums.

1. People who post here in the Hinderer forum seem to be mostly users. A few fans, and collectors pop in, but the core of contributors seem to EDC or often pocket their Hinderers.
As a side note: I welcome everyone to join in. If you have a good question (which mine here may or may not be), I encourage you to get involved.

2. The Exchange is hopping from time to time with a mix of NIB and user XMs. But many posters over there do not seem to post over here often.

So, I am curious...if you sell and trade Hinderers, what is your EDC?

I notice that too. I've seen several of the same people selling numerous Hinderers, almost weekly, and it's puzzling. How do these people get so many Hinderers when so many of us are just trying to get one and cannot?

The mods are fond of saying they have nothing to do with the secondary market and that is true. But it sure seems to me the business model they currently have helps create this kind of upselling.

Of course, they are entitled to adopt whatever business model they feel works best for them.

They do seem especially sensitive to criticism, however. Whenever this topic arises multiple fanboys (pretty easy to spot them) will leap in with aggressive defenses and then the thread will be promptly locked.

I think it's sort of too bad because the criticism is largely born from frustration--from knife-lovers and people who would like to own on of their fine products but cannot because the business model makes it impossible to get one without spending up to five times the price the company itself charges. And, yes, as it is frequently said, the company has nothing to do with the secondary mark-up. But one cannot help but think if they opened their ordering to the general public things would improve.

There are a handful of authorized dealers that get a handful of knives (and promptly mark them up more than triple what they paid for them) on rare occasion. But the only way to get a knife at the Hinderer price point is to meet a standard of qualifications to order a knife from the company. I don't know exactly how that works--how the first responders are vetted and how many knives they are allowed to purchase--but it sure seems to me a lot of those knives are finding their way to the secondary market at these gross mark-ups. I certainly don't begrudge these underpaid public servants from making a buck. I wish they were paid more for what they do.

Basically, I would just like those of us who would like to own a Hinderer to be able to buy one at a fair price in an ethical manner, regardless of our job title.

^ I'm with you on that. What is their policy on former jarheads? Or any other branch for that matter? Do you have to be active duty? I never knew you couldn't direct buy from them and maybe now I won't. It is on my wish list though.

Thats a good question, but i dont qualify to answer. I have a few xm's but wouldnt dream of selling or trading them. I do carry and use my xm's, but also a few other brands such as crk, grayman and yuna. Im interested in what the responses will be...maybe bought a flipper and decided a non flipper is the way to go? Maybe bought spanto but wanted slicer?

Of Course there are those who spot the deals and pick em off before anyone else for resale - but i cant imagine making all that much money doing that. I know its frustrating for those that cant afford the secondary market, but i'd rather that than see production soar and quality suffer. Its a small operation and the knives reflect, imho, completely worthwhile for those committed and patient enough to own one of these extremely impressive knives.

Last edited:
When i was at the california custom knife show, i had really wanted to get ahold of an XM, but sadly, did not win in the raffle. There was one particular guy wearing a red shirt who seemed to have his whole family, and distant cousins who were in the raffle for him. So not only did he win some, he was also right there, waiting for who did win, asking to buy the winners XM(then selling them at his booth). It really is disheartening for those of us who aren't trying to make a business out of it, and want to use these great knives.

It seems my first hinderer will be from buying overseas, when i vacation and see some friends in Japan. Not the hinderer i wanted first, but definitely one i want, and right near retail.

I'm not very knowledgeable on customs yet, but for me CRK and Hinderer would be my perfect EDC combo. I'd love to put one through the ringer when i hit the woods next month. Spring is here folks, can't wait to see some of the pics with what everyones using theirs for

Before this thread gets shut down, my thoughts:

I can understand having multiple members of family to get them, but to buy them all then resell at his booth is just not right.

Either way it works, the whole knife industry is built on scarcity so this phenomenon is not just Hinderer, this happens to alot of other makers as well. I bought a couple of hinderers to check them out. and I have to Say the PRODUCT is freaking amazing!!! Hinderer makes great stuff, pens knives, and so forth. BUT that being said, I sold both of the ones I bought because I found out the true sales value from the maker is 380-550 depending on which model you buy.

I mean, I am willing to pay a small premium if it is a knife I really want, but I would sooner buy an actual custom for 800-900. Either way, I have to echo your post in that I want one of these but I REFUSE to pay the hyped up prices that people charge just because it is scarce. So it is on the back burner until I find one that is reasonably priced.

In regard to the lack of direct sales to normal civilians, I can not say what motivates this but I can appreciate that they take care of public servants!!!

김원진;10772086 said:
When i was at the california custom knife show, i had really wanted to get ahold of an XM, but sadly, did not win in the raffle. There was one particular guy wearing a red shirt who seemed to have his whole family, and distant cousins who were in the raffle for him. So not only did he win some, he was also right there, waiting for who did win, asking to buy the winners XM(then selling them at his booth). It really is disheartening for those of us who aren't trying to make a business out of it, and want to use these great knives.

It seems my first hinderer will be from buying overseas, when i vacation and see some friends in Japan. Not the hinderer i wanted first, but definitely one i want, and right near retail.

I'm not very knowledgeable on customs yet, but for me CRK and Hinderer would be my perfect EDC combo. I'd love to put one through the ringer when i hit the woods next month. Spring is here folks, can't wait to see some of the pics with what everyones using theirs for

Last edited:
I am well aware of Hinderers selling/ business model. And while some find it frustrating you must realize decisions were made to offer production models. This provides better chance, for many, to the enter the world of Hinderer.

Now, as for all the groups that mob shows just to flip for a profit, to each his own, but I am in NO way happy with that practice. They better their odds with more lotto entries, but it is still a lottery system, so a winner is a winner. Once you own the knife it is yours, do with it as you please.

And, honestly, production XMs can be had for about double +/- MSRP in many places.
Every once in a rear while a great deal can be found. Nothing recently to speak of, but I still keep an eye out.

Alright, this is the deal and if it comes as a surprise to anyone than (oh well) We aren't going to discuss the same old topics that I for one get tired of addressing.
- Secondary Market (whether it be pricing, availability or Dealer practices)
- Fakes, in any form
- Business model of Hinderer

This is a BF sub-forum for Hinderer FANS (spelled with an "F") and aspiring Hinderer fans. Discussion can and does span a variety of topics BUT if someone or anyone wants to take that discussion in a different direction they can do it elsewhere.
I do not think the Op intended the thread to be high jacked into a bitch session.

Yeah, i can definitely appreciate the direct sales to service folk(just wish i would have known this before my father retired). So while it is a little difficult, i respect their choice of method. I feel a little bummed being a military brat and never seeing anyone carrying a hinderer or known knife for that matter. I've only come across a few that had ka-bar, and kershaw. Florida, hawaii, and san diego just don't seem to be the places to look i guess.

Any hinderer owners carrying an accompanying non-hinderer knife?

Alright, this is the deal and if it comes as a surprise to anyone than (oh well) We aren't going to discuss the same old topics that I for one get tired of addressing.
- Secondary Market (whether it be pricing, availability or Dealer practices)
- Fakes, in any form
- Business model of Hinderer

This is a BF sub-forum for Hinderer FANS (spelled with an "F") and aspiring Hinderer fans. Discussion can and does span a variety of topics BUT if someone or anyone wants to take that discussion in a different direction they can do it elsewhere.
I do not think the Op intended the thread to be high jacked into a bitch session.

Correct!

All I was looking for was.
I carry a Sebenza
I like My Emerson
I Rock a Spyderco or Benchmade
EDC a Busse LCABS

Things like that

Muahahaha!! I suppose I must conform then, just had to say my two cents. Either way I have had and sold and now here is my line up:

Chris Reeve Umnum Tanto
BM 42 used, abused
MT Scarab (OLDER, beaten to crap)
Hinderer Kombuton Set:::: this is one of the best I have ever seen or used, and I have seen alot and carried many different ones, Best choice to invest and just purchase one!!

Incoming:
ZT 560
ZT 551
Steve Kelly Custom
Custom from a fellow forumite

even more of a curious thought, does rick or rob carry something else from time to time, or have a liking to any other knifemakers? i've never come across seeing anything in this forum about it.

Muahahaha!! I suppose I must conform then, just had to say my two cents. Either way I have had and sold and now here is my line up:

Chris Reeve Umnum Tanto
BM 42 used, abused
MT Scarab (OLDER, beaten to crap)
Hinderer Kombuton Set:::: this is one of the best I have ever seen or used, and I have seen alot and carried many different ones, Best choice to invest and just purchase one!!

Incoming:
ZT 560
ZT 551
Steve Kelly Custom
Custom from a fellow forumite

This is the type of response I was seeking.

I also expect to see things like "I EDC XMs, but sell/trade a few too."

OOOH, Solid questions!! I wonder if you start getting into making your own, you stop carrying other makers and brands. I can't imagine that is the case though!! These guys started out as knife nuts I am assuming!!

Another one I use every day is a Custom Ti thumbnail knife. Not big, but very useful!!

I carry a waved Emerson cqc7a weakside when working along with my Hinderer xm-18. Can't beat the speed of a waved blade for weapon retention. I know several Hinderer fans carry the kabar tdi knives after taking the knife class.

I carry a waved Emerson cqc7a weakside when working along with my Hinderer xm-18. Can't beat the speed of a waved blade for weapon retention. I know several Hinderer fans carry the kabar tdi knives after taking the knife class.

I like the wave opener. Rock a Super Karambit often.
As for the TDI, I have never taken their course, but have had a TDI knife for years. Thought it was a cool idea for a small defensive fixed blade.
I carry it occasionally. But the little EDC fixed blade that I carry a lot more often is a Spartan Enyo. It can be used defensively, or as you would use most any small fixed blade.

I like the wave opener. Rock a Super Karambit often.
...But the little EDC fixed blade that I carry a lot more often is a Spartan Enyo. It can be used defensively, or as you would use most any small fixed blade.

just picked up one of these but i cant figure out how i'd like to carry it. Inside the waistband strongside, weakside, small of the back or even in the front pocket?

just picked up one of these but i cant figure out how i'd like to carry it. Inside the waistband strongside, weakside, small of the back or even in the front pocket?

Are you talking about the Enyo?

I am probably unique with this carry, and I cannot believe I am posting it for the world, but whatever...
Not for everyone. I carry it outside the belt on the strong side, slightly angled down. If you were to reach down say toward a watch pocket, you would be touching the knife. I secure the sheath with it's supplied belt loop as well as paracord, incase the snap pops open.
Because the blade is angled slightly downward, I discreetly check it once in awhile to confirm it is snugly sheathed. That said, it works well for me in this setup even when active. Can sit and still deploy the knife too.

I have an XM 24 stonwashed everything now thanks to recently picking up stonewashed scale on the exchange. This is a beast of a knife and it is my EDC. I do on occassion carry a zt 0560 especially when dressed up going out for the night and light pants don't handle the weight of my xm 24. Although I qualify to by directly from the Hinderer Ranch this has not happened and I got mine from the secondary market. It doesn't bother me about carrying an expensive folder, because like most of you my watch,flashlight, and other EDC items are higher end because this what I choose. I did not buy my XM 24 to put in my safe to save for someone else's enjoyment. I am hoping I can score at the Blade show this year with my (one) lottery ticket!

Sold my xm 3.5"s, but kept my xm 3" and still edc it...it's a part of my edc rotation, along with my zaan, small sebenza, boker thorn, delica, skyline, zt 0551 and 0560. Find myself doubling up on the blades for edc, medium + smaller together. Favorite combo so far is zaan and thorn. Will try out small + smaller this week- xm 3" and thorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back