If you were deploying... (hypothetical)

bodog

BANNED
Leatherman mut. ZT mudd. Esee 6. And a folding diamond sharpener or one of those credit card sized diamond hone. And a piece of thin, firm cardboard with a 3000 grit diamond paste on it. And some zip lock bags. And a lock for the locker. And I'd engrave my name or initials all over each of them.

Leatherman for the overall utility and ability to take apart my rifle more than a basic field strip.

ZT mudd because the pivot is sealed and it's a stout blade. Nothing like jalapeño cheese getting stuck in a pivot. Water just won't get it out.

Esee 6 because it's a good overall knife with a good sheath that isn't difficult to replace.

Diamond sharpener because you never know what or when you need to sharpen something, even crude fish hooks. And they're a lot lighter than a stone.

Small strop because stropping something is a lot easier to do than trying to sharpen all the time. And if you need to ditch it then who cares because it cost next to nothing and you can have someone send you another one when you get back to base. And zip lock bags are always useful and weigh next to nothing and take up almost no room. Tuck some toilet paper in the bag with the strop. Dry toilet paper is good for lighting fires. Or for what it's designed for.

A lock because people steal anything they can. Trust them with your life but not your wife. Or gear.

And engrave your name on everything because locks can be defeated or forgotten. When you live around the same guys all the time it won't be hard to find your stuff again and if you punch them in the mouth for stealing your stuff at least you'll have proof that what they have is actually yours.

All hypothetical. And if I was in an urban area I'd probably leave the fixed blade and pocket knife at camp in exchange for some baby wipes or a little extra water or ammo. I'd definitely keep a good leatherman with me. When you need it, you need it, and there's hardly a good substitute for it.

Some kind of survival scenario it'd be different but we're not hypothesizing about getting dropped in the middle of Africa or Ecuador. We're talking about a recon unit that'll not be all that far from necessary supplies. Unless you're talking about LRS or some other SOG unit that operates pretty far away from backup and logistics.

OP changed his parameters. Then according to the limits he set then I'd opt for none of the above because knives don't mean much in today's combat zones unless you're doing some kind of crazy,off the radar thing. Even then you'd probably be so bogged down with real force multiplying weapons, comm gear, cameras, medical supplies, water, etc. that a knife would only weigh you down that much more. Since multitools are out.

Last edited:

BladeScout

Basic Member
Cant presume to speak for 'Recon' types, so can only speak for myself.

Opinel.

Fixed: Never had any need for carrying a fixed when (non-hypothetical) being 'on deployment' but lets say a small practical utility knife for slicing MREs and cleaning ones nails - current favorite: BK14.

shinyedges

Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Cant presume to speak for 'Recon' types, so can only speak for myself.

Opinel.

Fixed: Never had any need for carrying a fixed when (non-hypothetical) being 'on deployment' but lets say a small practical utility knife for slicing MREs and cleaning ones nails - current favorite: BK14.

Opinel no.2? Will you lay it on bushes with a multitool?

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
Leatherman fuse ( not a folder and is never not on me )
Vic recruit
Sog seal pup ( my only tactical-ish fixed blade )

Folder: Spyderco Pacific Salt with black handle—never have to worry about it except for sharpening.

Fixed: Ka Bar EK-45. Bad ass enough to work hard, inexpensive enough to abuse or lose if necessary.

Charlie Mike

Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob)
I carried a Microtech D/A Socom when I was in Mosul.

My Emerson Cqc7 is exactly the type of folder I imagine would be great for this sort of thing. I agree with the guy that recommended the street bowie or street beat for a fixed blade. They are just so useful and comfortable.

I assume he would want his blade to be useful for utility as well as SD should the need arise. With the wave feature on Emerson folders can be withdrawn at a speed equalling fixed blades. That is why Emersons mame such a good soldier's knife. Not to mention they are tough as nails. It is an honour to be able to put hard use on such a worthy blade.

Charlie Mike

Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob)
^ :thumbup:
I hope that you had a nice Christmas yesterday, Mike!

It was uneventful. The last waking moments saw the start of a new project.

Just off the top of my head:

Becker Crewman for my fixed blade
Benchmade/H&K Axis lock for the folder

Above choices made due to ease of getting them & replacing them. Also on the assumption I have a Multi-Tool with scissors & saw in it (Victorinox Spirit).

If I started to go custom I'd look at a fixed blade from LT Wright and maybe a Spartan Knives folder.

All conjecture and subject to change depending on gear load out and deployment location.

Delica and a mora companion I wouldn't want to carry any unnecessary weight and it's a fairly cheap and versatile combo.

Folder would be my SAK Craftsman - lots of tools in a small package. My fixed blade would be my KABAR.

madcap_magician

Gold Member
Probably a BRKT Elmax Gunny with micarta handles and a Spyderco FFG Endura. Quality knives, inexpensive enough not to miss too much if they are lost or destroyed, flagship knives of their respective companies, so also easy to replace and unlikely to go out of production any time soon. Not huge in size or weight, but big enough to do nearly anything.

Deplyed to Vietnam with the 39th Combat Enginners, 1967-68.

Folding knife was a SAk buttoned in my top right pocket. Always there, lightweight, and had a few basic tools and two knife blades. Was issued a Camillus MK2, but it got stowed in the foot locker. We had too much crap to carry to waste energy crying a fixed blade knife that was not needed.

Today I would pick one of the more basic Leathermans.

Keep it simple and light.

I would carry a quality multitool, a good pocketknife, and maybe a decent 4-5 inch knife if I needed one. Weight would be a factor, so no overbuilt bricks. Following those parameters XYZ can be filled with all sorts of stuff. Fantasies are fun, but the reality is that it really doesn't matter which one as long as it works. Yeah, I will be 'that guy'.

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC