• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

I'm getting fed up with D.j. Urbanovsky American Kami

I ordered a folder in 2013. I know he had some issues with machine shops and some health problems but I have had so many promises I lost count. My last message from read as such

" Your knife will be done next week. It would be done now, but my mom has been in and out of the hospital since last Thursday." That was September 26. Then just yesterday I see him post on facebook that he has just finished 5 ManiAxe's and would be available for sale. WHAT? He has a LIST of outstanding orders that have been paid in Full. Not to mention he's Still taking orders.

Full customs: 21

Professional Grade folders: 28

Professional Grade fixies: 45

Professional Grade axes: 26

Sporky stuff: 24

Trainers: 5

I have been more than patient and have been waiting getting close to 6 years for a midtech. I just want to warn people who don't know what's going on.

'More than patient' is right...there's little that can be done to recover any payment you've sent at this point.

I hate to say it but this is looking like a scam. A guy with 149 outstanding (I assume already paid for) orders who's been taking new commissions over the course of 5-6 years is more than likely not going to come through for you.

That’s a very long time. Years ago I bought one of his midtech folders without an issue. Things must have changed

So much this. I'll go further and say don't put down more than a token deposit unless they're ready to start your build.
Well, when this started he said the batch he was working on would be about 140 days out, and at the time I had heard nothing but good things about him.

Don't do it even then. You never know when someone will go off the rails.

This totally happens. A lot of these guys started out as decent folks, but then the popularity got to be more than they could handle (either from an ego perspective or a business perspective or both).

Honestly I think when knifemakers are fortunate enough to go full time, that's the determining factor in whether they last or flame out- can they figure out how to produce enough to sustain demand while throttling their work to a level they can complete.

About $650. And yes I have learned not to pay in full up front unless the maker has a stellar rep. I'm still out $700 from Nocturnal Knives.

I was out money from nocturnal too, but I'm not as patient as you and got my money back after a few months of their delays.

Sad to hear about DJ as I almost bought from him too, just ask for your money back until he can produce the folder.

Aw, this sucks to hear about. I had casually looked at some of the less, uh, weird midtech fixed blades and the folder on and off a few times this year..
Ah well.. at this point, I dont think I need to go further than the makers here on the exchange for nice fixed blades anymore.. the folders of that type (maybe not look) are also everywhere.. Keep looking, I reckon. More incentive to chase a Zieba down.

Never pay full price up front. No matter the maker or reputation...

This. (Which I'm sure you know by now, LOL.)

I hate to say this, but after 6 years I wouldn't have much faith in receiving a knife or a refund.

It boggles my mind that so many knife makers go down this path.

Back