1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

2. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I'm getting fed up with D.j. Urbanovsky American Kami

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by mr_anderson, Nov 13, 2018.

1. mr_anderson

mr_anderson

Mar 30, 2004
    I ordered a folder in 2013. I know he had some issues with machine shops and some health problems but I have had so many promises I lost count. My last message from read as such

" Your knife will be done next week. It would be done now, but my mom has been in and out of the hospital since last Thursday." That was September 26. Then just yesterday I see him post on facebook that he has just finished 5 ManiAxe's and would be available for sale. WHAT? He has a LIST of outstanding orders that have been paid in Full. Not to mention he's Still taking orders.

Full customs: 21

Professional Grade folders: 28

Professional Grade fixies: 45

Professional Grade axes: 26

Sporky stuff: 24

Trainers: 5

I have been more than patient and have been waiting getting close to 6 years for a midtech. I just want to warn people who don't know what's going on.

2. Lance Leon

Lance Leon Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2017
    'More than patient' is right...there's little that can be done to recover any payment you've sent at this point.

I hate to say it but this is looking like a scam. A guy with 149 outstanding (I assume already paid for) orders who's been taking new commissions over the course of 5-6 years is more than likely not going to come through for you.

3. Heineken

Heineken

Mar 23, 2012
    That’s a very long time. Years ago I bought one of his midtech folders without an issue. Things must have changed

4. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Never pay full price up front. No matter the maker or reputation...

bonky and tyyreaun like this.
  5. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    Good warning. How much are you out?

6. tyyreaun

tyyreaun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2017
    So much this. I'll go further and say don't put down more than a token deposit unless they're ready to start your build.

7. mr_anderson

mr_anderson

Mar 30, 2004
    About $650. And yes I have learned not to pay in full up front unless the maker has a stellar rep. I'm still out $700 from Nocturnal Knives.

8. mr_anderson

mr_anderson

Mar 30, 2004
    Well, when this started he said the batch he was working on would be about 140 days out, and at the time I had heard nothing but good things about him.

9. mr_anderson

mr_anderson

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, Mr. Tom Mayo thanked me for bringing this to people's attention.

10. Murindo

Murindo Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Ask for your money back. I had an issue with delays a couple of years ago and he returned my money. I no longer pay any custom maker in advance and most often only buy custom knives in the aftermarket.

onekerf, ArchVV and tyyreaun like this.
  11. Malpaso

Malpaso Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 17, 2000
    You are not alone. There are threads about him on other forums as well.

onekerf likes this.
  12. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Don't do it even then. You never know when someone will go off the rails.

AntDog and Liberty43 like this.
  13. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005
    This totally happens. A lot of these guys started out as decent folks, but then the popularity got to be more than they could handle (either from an ego perspective or a business perspective or both).

Honestly I think when knifemakers are fortunate enough to go full time, that's the determining factor in whether they last or flame out- can they figure out how to produce enough to sustain demand while throttling their work to a level they can complete.

14. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    Ouch. Sorry man.

15. bambam99

bambam99

Oct 8, 2014
    I was out money from nocturnal too, but I'm not as patient as you and got my money back after a few months of their delays.

Sad to hear about DJ as I almost bought from him too, just ask for your money back until he can produce the folder.

16. mr_anderson

mr_anderson

Mar 30, 2004
    I've been asking, he's ignoring me now.

17. mr_anderson

mr_anderson

Mar 30, 2004
    I just got his sub-forum shut down on the "other" knife forum.

onekerf, skyhorse, Lone_Wolfe and 2 others like this.
  18. AndreLinoge

AndreLinoge

Nov 20, 2014
    Aw, this sucks to hear about. I had casually looked at some of the less, uh, weird midtech fixed blades and the folder on and off a few times this year..
    Ah well.. at this point, I dont think I need to go further than the makers here on the exchange for nice fixed blades anymore.. the folders of that type (maybe not look) are also everywhere.. Keep looking, I reckon. More incentive to chase a Zieba down.

19. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb

Nov 20, 2014
    ...but don't you know, Nocturnal paid back EVERYONE and is now a fine upstanding citizen. He has tons of fans on social media and is doing good things.

mmmotorcycle likes this.
  20. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    This. (Which I'm sure you know by now, LOL.)

I hate to say this, but after 6 years I wouldn't have much faith in receiving a knife or a refund.

It boggles my mind that so many knife makers go down this path.

Liberty43 and JAGKNIFE like this.