1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

INFI in the Woods - An East Coast Camping Trip - Weekend of 4/27/18

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by zmbhntr, Mar 6, 2018.

1. zmbhntr

zmbhntr ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿''̿ ̿ Platinum Member

Jul 28, 2014
    That sounds great to me! I'm good with any type of meat.

2. GregB

GregB Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2000
    Dude, you guys are killing me.

3. GregB

Dec 18, 2000
    Yeah, the girls will probably be happier at home. Although I did take my wife to the Saint Paddy Day (weekend before) Rugby Tournament this year and she had fun (there were two other guys who brought ladies).

4. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The only female I am bringing is my Nuclear Meltdown Fusion Battle Mistress, well I lie, all my knives and guns are female.

KNIGHTENFORCER, Yonose and GregB like this.
  5. F'lar

F'lar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2016
    I'm looking to bring breakfast. Eggs, bacon and sausage or something else if preferred. I don't have any large camping cooking skills or equipment (as was apparent last year) nobody likes to do the backcountry hiking/camping that I do. Those that do pack personal cookware as I do.

6. resinguy

resinguy

Feb 19, 2006
    I will again bring a cast iron griddle, and a 12" and 8" cast iron pans.

7. resinguy

resinguy

Feb 19, 2006
    Yeah, we eat pretty good at these. My drive is just over 5 hours. So, you're coming?

boring likes this.
  8. GregB

Dec 18, 2000
    Maybe. Trying to work out the logistics. Really want to carpool at least part way.

9. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Getting closer

10. inkynate

inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    As usual I would love to attend, but once again I'm stacked with obligations that weekend.

On the upside, one of those obligations is a bachelor party that includes going somewhere for ax-throwing. I wonder if I should bring along some Busse blades just in case... Just kidding, I know I should. :eek:

11. zmbhntr

Jul 28, 2014
    It’s already April boys, that means it’s only 3.5 weeks until the camping trip! There is still plenty of time for other people to decide that they would like to come. I’m really looking forward to the trip!

I’ll be sending out an email to the people on the attendee list later this week with more detailed directions. We can also discuss meal planning and anything anyone else wants to discuss or ask about.

12. HST

HST Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Really cool trip you guys are doing. It sounds like such fun. Since you have two of my favorite cars I own as well @zmbhntr , I have no doubt you know how to have fun.

It’s a 9 hr trip from here. Anyone else coming from the South?

zmbhntr likes this.
  13. zmbhntr

Jul 28, 2014
    Okay guys, I just sent out a group email to the people that are planning to attend in order to give detailed directions, discuss meal planning, etc. If you did not get the email but you plan to attend please let me know. I'm really looking forward to the trip!

Also, not that it's all that relevant, but I cooked some pretty damn delicious ribs today. I won't be bringing any since we ate them all, but I will be bringing pulled pork to the camping trip!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nydude, HST and Midwest Firecraft like this.
  14. zmbhntr

Jul 28, 2014
    Two week countdown guys!

Because I know that this will really excite @resinguy I wanted to post a pic of my new DutchWare hammock suspension ;)

[​IMG]

Midwest Firecraft likes this.
  15. resinguy

resinguy

Feb 19, 2006
    jeez ... hammock nerds... worse than flashlight nerds and knife nutz....

HST, zmbhntr and nydude like this.
  16. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    I didn't even know hammock nerds existed....

* logs off to contemplate EVERYTHING*

zmbhntr likes this.
  17. zmbhntr

Jul 28, 2014
    I'm going to be travelling for work most of the next two weeks, so I decided that this weekend is the time to cook the pulled pork and then freeze it for the trip. Last night I made the brine out of pickling salt, molasses, and water.

[​IMG]

I also like to inject my pork butts. I then let them marinate overnight in the brine.

[​IMG]

I put them on at 5am this morning but it was too dark for pics outside, and I was too sleepy to think of taking pics inside. Here they are after about 4 hours of smoke. I like to smoke pork at 235 - 240 degrees.

[​IMG]

Here is how they look after about 7.5 hours when the internal temp reached 170. Time to wrap them and continue cooking. The fat cap splitting on the top is exactly what I like to see at this point, so it's going according to plan so far!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. resinguy

resinguy

Feb 19, 2006

They have forums to discuss hammocks! Really, can you even imagine it!?!?!

19. resinguy

resinguy

Feb 19, 2006
    Looking very good, Ben. I think I'll have to bring both jars of the pickled red onions.

zmbhntr likes this.
  20. zmbhntr

Jul 28, 2014
    The pork turned out great!

[​IMG]

First butt pulled:

[​IMG]

First butt sauced:

[​IMG]

Second butt pulled:

[​IMG]

It's a bit hard to tell from the pic, but it's a big pile o' pork! Second butt sauced (I'll bring lots of extra sauce of course):

[​IMG]

Vacuum sealed and into the freezer. We have a lot of pork to eat.

[​IMG]

HST, nandok and Currawong like this.