1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Introducing The SYKCO Alpha Regulator 9.5!!!. . . Specs And Pricing For Wednesday July 10, 2019!!!

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Jerry Busse, Jul 9, 2019.

1. COPIUOS

COPIUOS Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2015
    I have wet-sanded out DCBB with like 600, and it does come out like a chrome-ish/matte-chrome kind of deal...it is a great coating and if you have a cabinet, you can refresh constantly (this has been remarked on by many such as (I believe) Cobalt and Clamp)...I am just now seeing its true virtue. In no way does it affect the integrity of the blade...i mean think of A2 and D2, 1095 etc, these things are expected even when keeping up with knives...D2 mostly stains as opposed to oxidizes in my book and A2 will pick up some oxidation (particularly on non-satin areas). I left a NMFBMLE in my yard that I forgot after clearing some vines and palms and ginger and it was covered with about a inch and a half of water in grass and had some orange where satin had been scratched...high grit wiped it off, cannot even tell...it is a pure user and still looks great. I could get it back to ghetto satin easily...not to mention, the patina/oxidation on the real comp finish is only skin deep unless you purposefully neglect it. It takes more elbow grease due to the deeper grooves from milling, although you ca bring those to a shine in no time as well...

Cam

WatermanChris likes this.
  2. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    It's not really open pores as much as it is restructuring of the surface that manipulates reflective light giving a particular appearance by creating peaks and valleys. That is why when I've polished the bead blast finish out the machine marks appear much like the comp finish we're used to. There's some really nerdy stuff going on, on a microscopic level of the surface of the metal and actual surface area. Blasting increases total exposed area exponentially which ultimately exposes say, more surface area of carbon - at least that's my theory LOL! ~ Bottom line is bright and shiny looks awesome and with a little sweat equity you can do a lot with very little :D

nydude and WatermanChris like this.
  3. Jmboz

Jmboz

Apr 14, 2011
    In for a BIG DC, just in time. :)

WatermanChris likes this.
  4. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    You're all a bunch of enablers! ;):D
    Yes, I finally bought one, with the DC finish. :)

evltcat, Will York and duramax like this.
  5. WatermanChris

WatermanChris Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 30, 2018
    As if you ever stood a chance of resisting. :D:D:D

6. JohnTheTexican

JohnTheTexican Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2006
    I see that Satin's gone from the Busse website.

I wonder why they'd have them allocated in advance like that? I'm sure they have a limited number of blanks to work with, but at this point, wouldn't they all be the same?

7. WatermanChris

WatermanChris Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 30, 2018
    It probably has something to do with production capacity. These will be a regular offering but likely only in the coated version. A satin finish will take a lot more time and Busse is trying to maintain a relatively fast turnaround time so Jerry likely decided on a fixed number of Satin.

I think it also has something to do with the tooling. As more blades are produced and the bits get dull, it will make it harder to get that pristine blank.

8. amflud

amflud Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I tend to agree, especially since they’re at least 2 months out.

ETA: This was in response to JTT’s post.

9. JohnTheTexican

Jul 1, 2006
    All gone now.
    Thems that snoozed, loozed.

10. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Same.

11. JohnTheTexican

Jul 1, 2006
    Same.

12. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    :D
    I should have known better than to try to resist Res C + INFI! ;):D

I have a bunch of Basics and others with the standard shape Res C handles, but this will be my first with a Regulator handle - I hope I like it as much as the standard ones.

Will York, JACKMANDU and COPIUOS like this.
  13. Dadgummit

Dadgummit

Sep 18, 2013
    Anybody have an idea of the weight of these? I am hoping for something a lot lighter than the nmfsh (the only one i have with a similar blade length)

14. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    D/C finish for me as well.:cool::thumbsup:

Will York likes this.
  15. Will York

Will York Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 21, 2000
    I’m thinking around 20 oz?
    Pure speculation.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  16. Brummie

Brummie Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2007
    That would be my guess too. From the pictures it looks like there’s still quite a lot of meat behind the edge.

17. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ooh. Hope not. Don't like fat edges.

Will York likes this.
  18. Brummie

Brummie Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I hope to be proved wrong on a couple of things about this knife. We’ll see.

19. JohnTheTexican

Jul 1, 2006
    Has it been 8-12 weeks yet?

20. Gravelface

Gravelface Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Gaaaaaaaaahhhhbh.

I thought I had self control, till Jerry post some knife I NEED like this one!!

Curses upon me!!!!!!!