1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

2. Week 49 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 7 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Bad Is poor packaging worthy of negative feedback?

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by WValtakis, Sep 9, 2019.

1. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Seller shipped a $225 knife wrapped in a single paper towel, loose in a reused Amazon padded envelope...I'm assuming that's why the "Basically brand new" knife now has a ding in the handle anodizing.:mad:

2. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Well, if it has a noticeable ding, then perhaps it isn't as advertised...("perhaps" because I didn't read the actual description)... which would be cause for negative feedback; and you could include the poor packaging in your comments/explanation. I would raise the subject with the seller first, personally; but I suppose that depends on what your actual goal is in the situation.

3. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    I have reached out to the seller, and I will let you know what he says...I'm just so sick and tired of people trying to save literally $3 vs. a Priority flat rate small box:(

4. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Do you want to return the knife? Receive some sort of compensation due to the condition? Or just - (er) - help him be a better seller?

5. WValtakis

May 29, 2004
    Mainly the last, honestly...who would actually be happy receiving a knife like this? I package every knife I ship exactly as I would like to receive one, well protected in a flat rate box with no movement.

onekerf, jmh33, Sharp & Fiery and 4 others like this.
  6. jkwithawave

jkwithawave ..... Platinum Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I've recieved a couple knives recently with less than stellar packaging. Not enough tape on one with what I'm quite certain was a gap in the box where someone pried it open with a finger to see what was in there. Luckily it was wrapped up pretty good on the inside so you couldn't see what it was. The others interior packing left a lot to be desired. All in all they arrived on time with no damage to the knives. When I brought it to the attention of the sellers they were very understanding of my concerns. I think it was one off situations and probably wouldn't happen again, would buy from them again.

If damage was caused and seller is no help to remedy the situation, negative could be warranted. Give them a chance to work it out with you first though.

benchwarmer380 and WValtakis like this.
  7. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Let us know what happens Chip, I’d be pissed too. Everyone should know better on how to ship shit properly. That’s crap.

4mer_FMF, woodysone and WValtakis like this.
  8. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I would only give the negative feedback if they didn't resolve the problem to your satisfaction. Doing so will likely be enough of a life lesson for them. Though from my experience those that don't care enough to package properly also don't like taking responsibility when they don't.
    Hope it all works out

9. WValtakis

May 29, 2004
    For what it's worth, I looked at the seller's pics again and the ding definitely wasn't there:(

10. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Yeah id almost say its worthy of it in this situation. Legitimately cant understand the concept of such poor packaging. If something starts to get close to the $100 dollar mark, instant priority box. I cant imagine shipping something over 200 bucks loose in a mailer, thats just crazy.

Also probably depends on the sellers response to you. Hopefully they can take this as a lesson to not be so cheap.

woodysone, jkwithawave and WValtakis like this.
  11. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    It kind of sucks that many don't consider how they would feel receiving the same knife in the same poor packaging ...

and trying to save 2 or 3 dollars reminds me of the whole "add 3% if G&S" crap ...

I don't sell much but I wrap and tape every knife before boxing it up and then fill the box so it can't move much and tape it up like fort Knox... now I may go overboard but I'd rather buy extra tape and take the extra 5 minutes and pay the extra few dollars so the buyer can open the package and smile at getting the knife they expected to ...

tough call on the feedback ... I would at least give the seller a chance to make it right and work out how you can be happy with the deal ... or just undo it and they can try again ...

but yeah ... maybe there should be a sticky with a video of how to pack and ship a knife ... it's not rocket science but seems that way to some ...

hope it works out keep us updated.

AntDog, Quiet, woodysone and 3 others like this.
  12. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    Sellers need to apply one simple rule in packing a knife. Pack my knife like you'd want me to pack your knife.

Barrettboy, moshow9, Coreman and 14 others like this.
  13. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    I wouldn't give negative feedback unless they were unwilling to resolve the situation, BUT you need to let them know how you want to resolve it.

Steven65, tyyreaun, woodysone and 3 others like this.
  14. Mikey13folsom

Mikey13folsom Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2016
    It seems to be a very disrespectful trend of sellers lately, to ship so carelessly. I have also received a hinderer I'd recently purchased with three small pieces of scotch tape, not even packaging tape, holding the box closed. The box was damaged and definitely had been fondled before I received it. Before that one, I'd had someone reuse a priority box that was partially torn on one flap, with a few shop paper towels wrapped around the knife that was floating loosely inside the box. I had it out with the seller on that one. Sellers that treat my items as such, I will not do business with a second time, because they obviously don't care.
    Sorry for your troubles OP, and I do hope it all works out for you!

357snubnose and WValtakis like this.
  15. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    If it made it, you shouldn't leave negative feedback. Negative feedback is for the sale not completing as it should have. He/She got it to you, maybe thanks to some luck, but it's all good in the end, it sounds like.

However, telling the seller how they should improve and even leaving a post here naming them gives heads-up to others that luck might not hold out in the future is certainly a legitimate course of action. I'd say it's perfectly fine to give the forum name here. That's part of the purpose--feedback.

Lance Leon, WValtakis and woodysone like this.
  16. benchwarmer380

benchwarmer380 Valyrian Member Platinum Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I disagree with the first paragraph as a blanket statement. If that were so, then the only time a negative is warranted is when someone doesn't deliver and steals your money and a banning will ensue anyways. There are many aspects to a transaction. You can receive your knife and still experience enough negative aspects that would warrant a negative.

I agree with the others to wait a little longer and see how the other responds before leaving feedback.

Also, people seem to forget that Neutral feedback is an option as well. It probably should be used a little more often. It doesn't affect the percentage, but does show up and indicate that while the deal was fine overall, it left a little to be desired.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  17. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I too disagree- Feedback is just that. If you are not satisfied with the transaction, you have every right to say so, but you should be clear as to what you are not satisfied with. In this case it seems that the item arrived but not in anticipated condition due to the poor packing.
    Mistakes happen(including myself) though and I always want to give the seller a chance to rectify a problem.

LizaMari, JJ_Colt45 and woodysone like this.
  18. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Nah seems legit. You’ze just a whiny beyyyyyoootch.

I’m joking obviously and whoever the seller is needs to double check their methods.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    JJ_Colt45, WValtakis and woodysone like this.
  19. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    That sucks Chip. Hope it works out for a favorable remedy.

I got the ol' paper towel/padded envelope treatment once. The knife made it ok, but it sure made me scratch my head why someone would ship a $200 knife that way.

FWIW (with all the box-only expectations expressed here and another thread), I recently received a blade from a very reputable maker overseas who shipped internationally in...a padded envelope. I was kind of surprised at that one too, but he must have good experience with it. Of course it had more substantial internal padding than a freaking paper towel.

woodysone and WValtakis like this.
  20. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    @WValtakis
    If the transaction is done with no resolution from the seller, then I would leave negative feedback.

If they’re going to compensate you somehow for receiving a damaged item because of the poor and lazy packaging, then I would leave neutral feedback and explain why.

If you both decide to reverse the deal, this thread will be sufficient.

moshow9, woodysone, tyyreaun and 11 others like this.