• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Is poor packaging worthy of negative feedback?

I would leave negative feedback regardless of what happens from this point. It's unacceptable on the part of the seller; you're having to deal with fallout (trying to "resolve" the matter) that shouldn't have been necessary; and even if the whole deal is reversed, you've still been greatly inconvenienced by the idiocy of the seller.

This would be against forum rules, and subject to removal.
Maybe, maybe not. Money changed hands in that scenario (twice, actually). The buyer will likely be out some fees, and the time value of the money while it was in the hands of the seller. If feedback isn’t appropriate in that case, it’s just another example of the serious deficiencies in the feedback system.

Maybe, maybe not. Money changed hands in that scenario (twice, actually). The buyer will likely be out some fees, and the time value of the money while it was in the hands of the seller. If feedback isn’t appropriate in that case, it’s just another example of the serious deficiencies in the feedback system.

I do believe that the wording of the rules were changed some time ago to incorporate situations like this, where the deal has left negotiations and an action has actually taken place.

I do believe that the wording of the rules were changed some time ago to incorporate situations like this, where the deal has left negotiations and an action has actually taken place.
It’s still a bit ambiguous, and Boru’s comment suggests that he thinks a thread in GBU would be sufficient (but he doesn’t say that feedback would be inappropriate). Ultimately, it means whatever the mods say it means.

It’s still a bit ambiguous, and Boru’s comment suggests that he thinks a thread in GBU would be sufficient (but he doesn’t say that feedback would be inappropriate). Ultimately, it means whatever the mods say it means.

True. I like to think the reason behind the suggestion is that it would be a fairly amicable solution and a negative for amicable is quite harsh.

However, if it were strictly agaisnt the rules, then if the roninusmc thread played out differently and he actually paid the money back before being banned, then a negative would not be allowed. Even though he was paid, didnt ship, went dark, and posted the same knife up elsewhere for sale. That would be bogus in my opinion.

Just want to add I missed the part about the ding. I still wouldn't leave negative feedback before contacting about making it right (whatever that means to the buyer, a return or something else). I definitely didn't mean whatever condition the knife comes in, if it arrives that's good enough.

No reply to my email yet (sent just before starting this thread)...

I had a seller send me a NASTY bearded combat hawk with a double edged beard and nearly 360° of sharpened edge in a padded envelope!!!

A Swamprat Rattlehawk. In the $300 TO 350 range.

The edge was all the way out and nearly got the wrist of my mail woman. Package had more gaping cuts in it than an Edward Scissorhand's outfit!!!

Seller put a rubber piece taped on the beard and spike with a piece of scotch tape!!!!

His reply was oops...thought it was fine...

The edge is literally the whole hawk head starting under the beard, all the way arround to the underside of the spike!!!

UPVTIcJ.jpg

Im proud of my packing skills! Its usually in a clear envelope made of tissue paper, so everyone can see the condition its in along the way. Also, I always ship folding knives in the open position so that the blade is shimmering through every postal hub. Its a bonus if its not secure in my tissue paper envelope cause then everyone knows how sharp Ive made it! Check out my sales threads!! Lol!!!
Obviously kidding. Im OCD and a perfectionist, shipping packaging is important to me as well. Sorry to hear about that terrible packaging WValtakis WValtakis .
Hope it gets sorted out. Seem like people dont like to take responsibility for their actions these days...its unfortunate.

I ship in bubble envelopes so what. I wrap em up right and mummify them with tape plus I pad them.

Look up videos of postal workers throwing mail onto front doors and porches. They use the door like a backboard.

I ship in bubble envelopes so what. I wrap em up right and mummify them with tape plus I pad them.

Look up videos of postal workers throwing mail onto front doors and porches. They use the door like a backboard.
I've received packages like that, and I'm fine with it. Makes no sense to me though, a priority flat rate padded envelope is actually more expensive to ship than a small flat rate box:confused:

I guess there's going first class, which is what this seller did...but for $3 difference, is it really worth it? Takes longer to cocoon a knife in envelopes then packing a box for me.

No reply to my email yet (sent just before starting this thread)...

Chip, I think that I found the deal regarding this folder you had purchased. I looked up the seller's profile and at the time when I looked him up which was earlier on today, the system showed that he had not logged into this Site since last Saturday. Furthermore, his profile shows him to be on the younger side of the hobbyists spectrum on here in addition to being relatively new (a year or so of membership) plus most of his activities being in the buying, selling and trading aspects of this hobby. Of course none of this extraneous stuff which I have written so far has anything qualifying to do with your thread and question! This is my own silly and clumsy attempt at showing and demonstrating that it can be annoying hen you ask a legit Q in GBU and then the responses go at a tangent, like they most often do.

Here's my take on the topic:

I don't think that piss poor packaging merits an outright and summary negative feedback just based on that, unless the item inside got lost or severely damaged as a direct result of such packaging deficiencies. What you have received is a dinged up item which you ought to be able to return to the seller based on his inadequate and poor packaging, or to be able to get a further discount to reflect the blemish which the knife suffered because of poor packaging during transit. If the knife gets returned based on your mutual agreement and you get fully refunded, then per Boru13's post just let it die with this thread. If you end up getting hassled and then you resort to making a PayPal claim to indemnify yourself, then officially name the seller on here and hand him a deserved negative feedback. If the seller works things out with you whether on a return or some form of discount, he may still earn himself a Neutral feedback. Although he is young as I had previously stated, he has enough transactions under his belt to know better and if he doesn't, a Neutral should get his attention fast even if he owns up to his own negligence!

I've received packages like that, and I'm fine with it. Makes no sense to me though, a priority flat rate padded envelope is actually more expensive to ship than a small flat rate box:confused:

I guess there's going first class, which is what this seller did...but for $3 difference, is it really worth it? Takes longer to cocoon a knife in envelopes then packing a box for me.

I’m just used to bagging up the knife I guess. It’s probably a canadian thing our bubble mailers might be cheaper than our boxes. I haven’t actually checked, maybe I should.

I figure if its a mummified cocoon package then it is obvious if it was opened because there are no seams so the only way to open it is to cut through a few layers of tape.

Chip, I think that I found the deal regarding this folder you had purchased. I looked up the seller's profile and at the time when I looked him up which was earlier on today, the system showed that he had not logged into this Site since last Saturday. Furthermore, his profile shows him to be on the younger side of the hobbyists spectrum on here in addition to being relatively new (a year or so of membership) plus most of his activities being in the buying, selling and trading aspects of this hobby. Of course none of this extraneous stuff which I have written so far has anything qualifying to do with your thread and question! This is my own silly and clumsy attempt at showing and demonstrating that it can be annoying hen you ask a legit Q in GBU and then the responses go at a tangent, like they most often do.

Here's my take on the topic:

I don't think that piss poor packaging merits an outright and summary negative feedback just based on that, unless the item inside got lost or severely damaged as a direct result of such packaging deficiencies. What you have received is a dinged up item which you ought to be able to return to the seller based on his inadequate and poor packaging, or to be able to get a further discount to reflect the blemish which the knife suffered because of poor packaging during transit. If the knife gets returned based on your mutual agreement and you get fully refunded, then per Boru13's post just let it die with this thread. If you end up getting hassled and then you resort to making a PayPal claim to indemnify yourself, then officially name the seller on here and hand him a deserved negative feedback. If the seller works things out with you whether on a return or some form of discount, he may still earn himself a Neutral feedback. Although he is young as I had previously stated, he has enough transactions under his belt to know better and if he doesn't, a Neutral should get his attention fast even if he owns up to his own negligence!
Yeah, I think you've got it Detective;) What's really disappointing is the seller has great feedback from people I've dealt with:confused::(

Yeah, I think you've got it Detective;) What's really disappointing is the seller has great feedback from people I've dealt with:confused::(

You got unlucky and your package got dropped when the workers were throwing it.

Still no reply from the seller, I sent a second email yesterday evening informing him of the thread and my intent to disclose the identity if I don't get a response:(

Back