It folds!

Awesome! Really liking the harpoon tip. Can't wait to see this progress. Looks great so far.

Hell no Gooey, i got half a chub thinking about it too ; ) That purple c-tek fixed Poon is the money shot for me though. I'm really happy about the diff poon shape on Daniel's folder cause I don't want jagoffs saying he copied off or Horton, Hinderer, Burch, WR Bladeworks etc.
This folder's gonna stand alone! : )
Sid

Looking good Daniel.Can't wait to see the finished product.

I found myself getting aroused thinking about this. Is that wrong?
lmao!!!!

Awesome! Really liking the harpoon tip. Can't wait to see this progress. Looks great so far.
Thanks! Glad you like the tip!

Hell no Gooey, i got half a chub thinking about it too ; ) That purple c-tek fixed Poon is the money shot for me though. I'm really happy about the diff poon shape on Daniel's folder cause I don't want jagoffs saying he copied off or Horton, Hinderer, Burch, WR Bladeworks etc.
This folder's gonna stand alone! : )
Sid

Thanks a ton for the input, I was hoping to hear something on that.

I taught myself to grind without seeing anyone else do it and have an unusual way of grinding... I felt that my grind style with the shorter poon tip did resemble another makers work and that was not my goal. Everything I do evolved on it's own but occasionally I have to make the decision to change something regardless of how it evolved... it is my work and I want it to be seen as that.

It seems that just about everything in knives has been done, at least style wise... we all are inspired by other makers and styles but then again some people really own a style. I want to own the DFK style!

My goal has always been clean and tough. I only like features that have function and try to stay away from busy styles. I use the best materials and never cut corners in my process. That's about it! :D

Guys! This folder is a winner. Get in your order!
Thanks! No new orders though, I'll have them available on a first come first served basis. I'm going to try to make sure that everyone that wants one gets one though!

Looking good Daniel.Can't wait to see the finished product.
Much appreciated!

I'm still waiting on supplies and should have more progress soon!

Last edited:
I still think I'll hold out for the Tanto- your Tanto grind is the Platonic Ideal of "Tanto", as far as I'm concerned. I don't have to be in the "I got mine first!" club, so I'll hold out till the Tantos are flowing. Maybe orange anodizing...

I like orange!

photo_zpsd7fdf675.jpg

As far as your aesthetic- you definitely have your own, and it's completely kickass. It's purposeful, uncluttered, and executed flawlessly. I imagine in spite of the easygoing way you come across in writing, and in your videos, that you're quite critical of your own work like every great artist. Stylistically, I find my cooking is the same. Early in my career, although I learned from some of the greats, I still wanted to do stuff that was "mine", and to this day, I still really don't pay any attention to what other Chefs are doing. I don't own any cookbooks (never have), and couldn't name more than one or two working Chefs. I just concentrate on presenting each ingredient as a refined, elemental thing, using the best available, and a rigorous technique. Musically I'm the same- I like it when I know another picker is listening, and getting into something I'm doing, but if there was nobody listening I'd still be playing the same thing because it's how I think it should be played.

Last edited:
This thing is a beauty! I love it!

If you make that in 52100 with a hamon.... and full convex grind (with a beauty swedge up top)...

OK...now I'm dreaming out loud :).

I still think I'll hold out for the Tanto- your Tanto grind is the Platonic Ideal of "Tanto", as far as I'm concerned. I don't have to be in the "I got mine first!" club, so I'll hold out till the Tantos are flowing. Maybe orange anodizing...

I like orange!

As far as your aesthetic- you definitely have your own, and it's completely kickass. It's purposeful, uncluttered, and executed flawlessly. I imagine in spite of the easygoing way you come across in writing, and in your videos, that you're quite critical of your own work like every great artist. Stylistically, I find my cooking is the same. Early in my career, although I learned from some of the greats, I still wanted to do stuff that was "mine", and to this day, I still really don't pay any attention to what other Chefs are doing. I don't own any cookbooks (never have), and couldn't name more than one or two working Chefs. I just concentrate on presenting each ingredient as a refined, elemental thing, using the best available, and a rigorous technique. Musically I'm the same- I like it when I know another picker is listening, and getting into something I'm doing, but if there was nobody listening I'd still be playing the same thing because it's how I think it should be played.

Thanks, Tanto grinds are always a favorite of mine to do. I have always enjoyed the old Japanese tantos and swords as well as the modern American style. Masamune to Harsfield! :D

That orange is awesome, I am a big fan of anything orange! I have been trying to get a good orange color with my anodizing setup... possible but tough to hit. I enjoy playing with the anodizer and will see what I can do! I will be anodizing the folder scales on some and on others I'll do oxidized finish along with the standard stonewash.

I like your outlook on cooking and music! Funny enough I have done a lot of both myself.

That is sick man. I can't wait to see the tantos! I would be all over that.

Thanks! Once I get this design nailed I'll see on he tantos! The blade works well in he folder frame on paper for sure and I love making tantos!

This thing is a beauty! I love it!

If you make that in 52100 with a hamon.... and full convex grind (with a beauty swedge up top)...

OK...now I'm dreaming out loud :).

That sounds cool! Right now I'm sticking to CPMD2 but I do like it!

Daniel- As much as I'd like to get this new folder design from you, our "secret" folder collaboration is first, ok?
Rolf

Daniel- As much as I'd like to get this new folder design from you, our "secret" folder collaboration is first, ok?
Rolf

Sounds great, I'm really excited to make it. I'll probably make it along with these, I even have a one off balisong I might make once I get going on the folders!

Looking good. The swedge/harpoon instantly made me think of the Vex.... And I'm curious how you are going to address the lockbar/stabilizer? I'm trying to save my pennies for this, we'll see though O_O

u ^ ROCK!
:D

Looking good. The swedge/harpoon instantly made me think of the Vex.... And I'm curious how you are going to address the lockbar/stabilizer? I'm trying to save my pennies for this, we'll see though O_O
Thanks! Not sure what knife the Vex is. The lockbar should be good to go the way I designed it but that's why I'm making the prototype... everything must be right!

Any progress on the folder? Thanks Daniel.
Sid

A fair bit. :D

I was at a stopping point with the mill but just got the gear I needed in and am a few steps closer... the pivot is now sunk on both sides. Right after I did that I ordered the next round of stuff I need to get my standoffs drilled/tapped and countersunk.

I am learning a lot on the mill, it is a lot like when I first started grinding. It's taking me a week to figure out each stage at this point but once I learn it I feel good about moving on.

I'll be practicing tapping like Wilt Chamberlain next week! After I turn a few blocks of Ti into swiss tapped cheese I'll do the knife!

After that it is all things I have done a lot of besides fitting the lock and detent but I feel good about that. This technical stuff has been hard!

Thanks to IMWILSON for the help with the mill!

Yes! Way to go IMWILSON team work baby : ) Ha Wilt the Stilt! Thank you for the update. I didn't mean to be pushy, i just check daily hoping to see the folder progress : ) Good night Daniel and fellas on this forum.

My dad went to Overbrook High with Wilt, and used to sell him exotic cars. Seeing The Stilt unfold himself from a Jaguar E-Type 2+2 when I was a little boy, was even funnier than seeing Shaq getting out of a car.

Can't wait for my folder! :D

Back