It followed me home (Part 2)

I got pretty lucky today. A very nice craftsman hatchet. Every older craftsman I have found has been super convex, this one is no exception.

The second one is interesting to me. It is a Shapleigh’s Hardware roofers type hatchet. It is very small with a very small handle. It has a waffle cut hammer end. It sort of reminds me of the TT Dyno.... hatchets. Also the head is marked “13” and the bottom of the handle is also marked “13”. Could this have been a short run? The shape of the bit is awesome. I thought a lot of the bit was missing but looking closer someone has sharpened it before but with the size of the hammer end it is probably maybe a half inch shorter maybe. There is still plenty of hard steel there. I think it is fair old. Maybe someone could help me with the age.....(Mr. Tall) haha. Thanks for looking everyone!

I got pretty lucky today. A very nice craftsman hatchet. Every older craftsman I have found has been super convex, this one is no exception.

The second one is interesting to me. It is a Shapleigh’s Hardware roofers type hatchet. It is very small with a very small handle. It has a waffle cut hammer end. It sort of reminds me of the TT Dyno.... hatchets. Also the head is marked “13” and the bottom of the handle is also marked “13”. Could this have been a short run? The shape of the bit is awesome. I thought a lot of the bit was missing but looking closer someone has sharpened it before but with the size of the hammer end it is probably maybe a half inch shorter maybe. There is still plenty of hard steel there. I think it is fair old. Maybe someone could help me with the age.....(Mr. Tall) haha. Thanks for looking everyone!
The nail notch on top is neat.

Nice axes.
That hatchet is similar to the TT Dynamic. With the closed hangs. A barreling pattern perhaps.

http://www.thckk.org/history/shapleigh-history.pdf

JB, I thought the same thing! It is very unique. I have never seen one before.

Garry, thank you for correcting me. Idk where I came up with dyno... I meant dynamic!

Thanks Agent, I have actually researched Shapleighs a lot. Living in OK I guess a lot of their products made it this way. I have a few chisels, two full size axes, a few draw knives, a small Boy Scout type hatchet and now this little guy all marked Shapleigh. And a few KeenKutter items that were sold by shapleighs. Everything I have from there is good quality a few great specimens even.

That Norvell-Shapleigh hatchet looks similar to the Keen Kutter Produce Hatchet in the 1912 catalog from Simmons. I reckon that Simmons' competitor Norvell-Shapleigh (1901-1918 name) had a similar Diamond Edge brand Produce Hatchet around the same time.

BookReaderImages.php

Steve, thank you as always sir! Also idk why I threw in keenkutter with shapleigh it was a Simmons brand also. My bad.

Nothing tool related, but my brother gave me an old 1987-1990 Dahon stowaway folding bike that despite being extremely dirty / grimy and having rust on all chrome parts happens to function perfectly ride smoothly and still hold air in it's original tubes.

You guys have found some awesome axes and hatchets recently, that shapleigh hatchet Brian rust found is just plain awesome. It looks like a real joy to use for carpentry.

Nothing tool related, but my brother gave me an old 1987-1990 Dahon stowaway folding bike that despite being extremely dirty / grimy and having rust on all chrome parts happens to function perfectly ride smoothly and still hold air in it's original tubes.

You guys have found some awesome axes and hatchets recently, that shapleigh hatchet Brian rust found is just plain awesome. It looks like a real joy to use for carpentry.

Great score on the folding bike!

Great score on the folding bike!

I sure thought so.
It'll be a bit of a chore to get all the rust off the rims and say the rack on the back.
I'll get what I can with a wire wheel , then other stuff will get a wet aluminum foil scrub.

The back rim will be the hard part, because don't know anything about deraileur's or adjusting breaks let alone the old school kind.
Because of this I'll be leaving it on the bike , and it will be slow going with scrub pads, steel wool , and wet aluminum foil.

Anyways I don't want to derail this thread off topic, so I'll shut up about this bike.
( Doing a thread in the folding bike section of bikeforums btw )

Last edited:
Went to the flea market in town this morning. Usually I don’t have too much luck out there but today I did decent. Met a few people that should be bringing axes next weekend supposedly so we will see. But the first is something that has been on the list for a while. A True Temper Flint Edge hand axe! Don’t see these in my area.

The next is what I believe is a Kelly Perfect from Charleston West Virginia. I was heart broken after seeming the stamp.

Someone obviously saw the head was loose and thought they could just bang the crap out of it. Should I just put it on a shelf? The only way I can see to fix it is take an angle grinder to it. I was so disappointed because I think it was a Dayton pattern. But it also could have been a very deformed Michigan. Please tell me what you think I should do. Thanks!!

Edit: I just cleaned up both these heads on the wire wheel. The Kelly Perfect actually has almost no pitting and looks pretty good. I’m not sure how the eye kept it’s shape but it did. Since the impact was coming from the top I guess it didn’t affect it. But I think my best option is to make a straight line directly below the mushroomed section above the eye from the pole to the bit and take off 1/4” or as least amount possible while still getting rid of the mushrooming. Then clean it up with a file. Does anyone have any other suggestion? Thanks.

The little Flint Edge cleaned up super nice. I will just file off the mushrooming on the pole and it will be ready. I was surprised to see eye ridges in that little guy. There are four of them and they seem huge compared to the eye but I love it!! Thanks for looking and please give suggestions.

Last edited:
Went to the flea market in town this morning. Usually I don’t have too much luck out there but today I did decent. Met a few people that should be bringing axes next weekend supposedly so we will see. But the first is something that has been on the list for a while. A True Temper Flint Edge hand axe! Don’t see these in my area.

The next is what I believe is a Kelly Perfect from Charleston West Virginia. I was heart broken after seeming the stamp.

Someone obviously saw the head was loose and thought they could just bang the crap out of it. Should I just put it on a shelf? The only way I can see to fix it is take an angle grinder to it. I was so disappointed because I think it was a Dayton pattern. But it also could have been a very deformed Michigan. Please tell me what you think I should do. Thanks!!
I have the exact same hatchet head in my project pile. Nice.

Back